Just plain silly

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Just plain silly

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Some times I think I spend too much on my hobbies. Then I see this and feel good all over again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ViNtAgE-RC10-Team-Associated-PAINTED-BODY-losi-tamiya_W0QQitemZ280062852411QQihZ018QQcategoryZ34063QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

:roll: isn't the high bidder the same guy that won almost every vintage mip 4x4 conversion in the last month or so?

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

scr8p wrote::roll: isn't the high bidder the same guy that won almost every vintage mip 4x4 conversion in the last month or so?
we needa figure out who the heck that dude is. he's been an ebay nemisis of mine for a long time. its aweful hard to beat bids against a guy like that. :?

noony
Approved Member

Post by noony »

badhoopty wrote:
scr8p wrote::roll: isn't the high bidder the same guy that won almost every vintage mip 4x4 conversion in the last month or so?
we needa figure out who the heck that dude is. he's been an ebay nemisis of mine for a long time. its aweful hard to beat bids against a guy like that. :?
I can think of a few others also.

noony
Approved Member

Post by noony »

badhoopty wrote:
I can think of a few others also.

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

ebay

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

typischdesign is impossible to beat :( I speak from experience and I don't think I am shy on the old bids either.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Re: ebay

Post by badhoopty »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:typischdesign is impossible to beat :( I speak from experience and I don't think I am shy on the old bids either.
i can get him in a snipe if i really want something, but by that time he's usually driven the price sky high...

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Yep, I've heard of him on an other board, he's presumably a German designer driving a Porsche on sundays... now I figure you can understand at least a little better :shock:

Rattlesnaker
Approved Member

Post by Rattlesnaker »

Hello, I'm new here but since you're talking about crazy $$, you guys probably have seen this already, but in case you haven't. I see it is bought buy the same guys you are already talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-MIP-4WD-RC-CAR-ROLLER-FULL-KIT_W0QQitemZ280061625020QQihZ018QQcategoryZ19168QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

His name is Olivier Ellerbrock. He is the owner of Typisch Design (http://www.typisch-home.de) of which I am told is a modern design house which has such clients as BMW, Mercedes, etc. and I am also told he does things like interior design for homes, businesses, etc. The bottom line, he has tons of money to spend and has been spending it for quite a while.

Yes, he is the one that bought all the MIP conversions.

As a seller, he can knock himself out, as a buyer, I agree sometimes it can be annoying (but I am told that people get upset with me as well).... in the end it is all just fun and games and there will always be more.

Woobie
Approved Member

Post by Woobie »

Yeah, there may be other things that show up again on ebay, (i.e. the 4 X 4 RC10 conversion kits, etc.) but the problem is, the same guy will bid on that one as well, and continue to do so, until he or she figures that they have enough now.

Cant tell you how many times I have just felt like taking this hobby which I enjoy so much, and just shoving it! Its tough when you have all these projects, and you can never finish them simply because you do not have the money to outbid others on the dumb parts!

There are a bunch of ebayers out there who are always doing this, more notably, the overseas guys. In that case, you can only hope and pray that the seller does not allow International bidders, but even then there are ways around that. If the seller has his auction setup to not allow international biddres, ebay will not even accept an international bid.

I guess the best bet anymore, is to just network with people and try trading or buying and not even having to deal with ebay.

Scott

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Woobie I completely disagree with you... I am also scraping money here and there to buy my parts... and being oversea is even worse because pople take advantage of you by charging outrajeous shipping costs... I can't tell how many time I contact "US only" sellers to kindly ask if he/she would consider shipping at least to my Canadian address... I usually get all kind of cheezy excuses... terrorists is my favorite one... extra custom fees (yeah right you pay $10 bucks in the US to buy the customs sticker and for the ink to fill it), and whatever.. I have over 350 feedbacks and nope in some cases I'm "banned" from buying.... even when it fits in a mail envelope. I think blocking oversea bidders sucks and is not the proper way to deal with this kind of ebayers. You have people with money in the States too!

Having said that I know Olivier Ellerbrock, I sold him several parts in the past... He's very kind... He even offered me to visit him once as I was supposed to be in his hometown for a week. I had to cancel that trip which is quite sad I would have loved to see his stuff!!!

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Scott, I too prefer trading. To me it is much more rewarding and it just feels right. Speaking of which I finally found your Optima part last night. Sorry it took so long, I had to do some digging. I also dug out those nerf bars. I will get them out ASAP. Thank you sir.

Aykbobcat, if you ever need help in purchasing something state side, just let me know. That goes for anyone in the forum, as long as it does not get totally out of control, I am willing to help. I expect nothing in return except for a similar favor should it ever arise.

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Of course and by the way there was no hard feelings againts anyone in my post :D

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

the days of getting an mip 4x kit for a hundred bucks are gone... sad but true. doesnt really make the hobby any less fun imo.

i dont mean to diss anybody who bids higher than me on ebay. i mean ebay is ALL ABOUT BIDS. about the only thing i think is underhanded to do on ebay is ask the seller to end the auction early when people have already bid. 10x worse if you know the bidder...

with that one exception, i'm in the mindset that if its on ebay, its a free for all. and sadly that usually means the guy with the deepest pocket wins. but if you really want something, its not impossible to get, just bid once on the item (or not at all), and right before it ends try to snipe it...

the absolute worst thing you can do if you really want something is make that known to the other bidders. if an item is listed and some dude bids, and you bid, and he bids again, etc. all that does is make it known to the other bidders that you are going to bid again... its best to make the other bidders think theres no interest in the item, and hopefully catch them sleeping at the end of the auction.

sniping is completely withing the rules of ebay. some think its cheap and underhanded, and if you feel the same you aint gonna win very many auctions.

i'm really starting to think that a seperate ebay user i.d. would help me out alot and relieve some of the guilt from bidding against people i know.

btw, we have a really REALLY good thing going with our buy/sell forum here. we got kick ass members who are overly generous and understanding to the hobby.