Discussion - shelfer or runner

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: Discussion - shelfer or runner

Post by MelvinsArmy »

bormac:

It's cool to see you using the old cars as they were meant to be used. However, your sig is a bit confrontational. When I first saw it, I about got midevil on your ass. With my keyboard of doom that is. :wink: :lol:

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Um...I see your point. But seriously, if anyone finds my SIG confrontational then perhaps they have the problem here. Im not directly contacting anyone and Ive not harassed anyone for having shelfers or NIB kits. Perhaps those who like to peruse through their collection with fine white cotton gloves feel the need to lash out at me to justify themselves. Well Im sorry for taking my 1/10th radio controlled electric off road buggies out and driving them. Sheesh! Last count I have over 80 cars and most of them I dont have time to drive. Im not afraid to drive any of them but out of luck and the lack of time many of them are still new built.
About me....Im a jovial character and I love a good laugh. I dont take myself seriously at all and for those who take me too seriously probably take life a little too seriously too. Life's short, have fun and stop worrying about what everybody else thinks.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Confrontational? Yes.

Tasteless? Yes.

It just tells me what kind of person you are, that's all. I only know what I read. If that's what you want other people to think of you, that's not my care.

My only issue is that this is a family hobby, and that's not really family language.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I like my losi cars to get dirty, my AE cars to sit on the shelf--Losi's aren't as pretty anyway :wink:

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Beaten into submission I have withdrawn my SIG. To those whom Ive offended Im sorry you couldn't see the lighter side of it all. Maybe one day you'll get it or maybe you wont.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Maybe one day you'll have younger eyes around, too. ;)

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

I dont have ANY Shelfers...yet (a Semi-Shelfer in a few days), so the "comment" didnt bother me at all....but as others have tried to convey, the language wasnt needed to make the point.

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

I have to admit that I have the benefit of knowing Jason and how he is as a person. You couldn't ask for a better bloke to be with at a vintage meet - or to chat about the cars. Jason is also generous to a fault. He is also quite "out there" when it comes to expressing himself - as can be (or could be) seen by his original sig. When Jason first put it up - I questioned him about the wording and how it would make others feel, as I am acutely aware of how things can go downhill on a forum with comments like the one in his sig. After he explained (in his usual flamboyant way :P :oops: ), that it was more to encourage people to not be afraid to run their cars. I understood - but thought the sig was still a bit harsh.

Not everyone is going to take the comments the same way - however I think the sig was fine except for the last "slang" word in the sentence. "Wimp" would have been more appropriate, but that is the benefit of hindsight isn't it? I think Jason appreciates now that there were better ways to start a conversation! :P He is a good guy, and not one to argue for the sake of it. I initially felt exactly the same as some of you when I first saw the sig - however after the chat - I gave the benefit of the doubt.....I am sure we can all move on now. Lets move on and leave the negativity behind us.

Nothing intentionally harmful was meant to anyone it all - just Jasons way of starting some thoughts on why we do it.

This is a great place - and of course we want to keep it that way.

Cheers guys

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Now - here is the article I wrote in relation to this and similar subjects for the January 08 issue of R/C CAR.

Please note I could have gone on forever - however the entire magazine cant be about vintage (although I would love it to be):

WHY DO YOU DO IT?

How much is it worth? What should I collect? Where do I fit in? What makes a collector?
These are questions I have often asked myself and have had asked of me.
Over the years and during many periods of deliberation, I have come up with some answers that suit myself. They may not suit everyone, however I think it is important that a few newcomers to our vintage scene get a feeling for what it is – and perhaps what sourcing and owning these vintage beauties should be about. So to bring in the “new year” in the January issue of your favourite magazine - I thought I might get on the “soap box” and have a chat about it.

WHATS IT WORTH?

I am now pretty well known for my answer to this question. “Whatever you are willing to pay”……. This is not me being arrogant - I am a firm believer in the “one mans trash - is another mans treasure” principle. My collection has grown to over 400 cars - ranging from new in the box through to absolutely trashed restore projects. I have never paid more than I wanted to for a car…..that would be crazy. Patience pays off in this hobby. I have waited several years for just one elusive model. Sometimes, I could have had the model earlier if money were no concern - however you have to take a measured approach.
In truth, I could actually care less what anyone else’s collection is worth in dollar terms. Collecting should be about your passion for the cars - not how much money they are worth now or in the future. There are far to many people concerned about what others have and what they think they “should” have in order to make their collection complete. Remember that you are collecting for you. You are not collecting for someone else or what is fashionable. If you like something – then go for it. If it doesn’t “float your boat” – then don’t get it. Too many people get caught up in the “me too” syndrome, whereby they see what others have and think they should have it too.

WHAT TO COLLECT AND HOW DO I DO IT?

There are enthusiast who collect only buggies, only Formula One cars, complete sets, all cars from one brand…..the list goes on. At the end of the day – it is you looking at and enjoying your collection. It matters little if someone else says your collection isn’t complete because you don’t have XYZ model. If you are happy – that is all that matters. I can get the same if not more enjoyment of looking at a well used model as I do from a pristine example; they are to be appreciated for what they are.
There are several people that I have observed in the past 5 years or so who got into collecting these cars because they thought it would make them a fortune. While it is certainly true that prices have risen rapidly over the past 10 years, it has to be said there are better ways to make money. Don’t do it for the money – there is not enough return in it – better profits are to be had in good shares or even a simple savings account. These are the guys that have come in all guns blazing in auctions, buying everything in sight, then 6 months later they are trying to turn it around at a profit. Rule #1 that should always be remembered: you are always going to pay a premium price in an auction. While there may be still bargains to be had on auction sites – mostly you well be paying near top dollar. That minimises profit to use on things that you want and or need– business 101!! The guys that do this have done nothing wrong at all – they have just not thought things through.
The only time to “invest” in a model or parts is when you get it so cheap that it doesn’t matter! The old saying one mans trash is another mans treasure is very true. I have made many bulk purchases from old stores simply because they were so keen to get rid of the old stock that I simply could not refuse. This “investment” in parts has, in return, allowed me to sell and or trade the items on eBay as well as privately. I have then used the proceeds from these sales and trades to buy and trade for kits and parts that I wanted or needed.
Concerns have often been raised on forums and chat rooms that this “buying cheap and selling high” practice is “greedy” and self serving. I look at it another way. If, for example, you are listing parts on eBay at $1 start price and they end up at $60 – you are letting the market decide what their value is. Imagine if some of the really large vintage parts sellers on eBay and some forums hadn’t of bothered to get the parts/kits before the importers or shops threw them out? Yes – that’s right – the parts would not be available and would be a whole lot rarer – and a whole lot more expensive. By buying out the stores of all of the old parts and kits, they have made available parts to others all over the world. At the end of the day – there are many more of our classic models being restored and sitting on shelves or in kit form because these guys bothered to get the parts/kits before they turned into tomorrows land fill. For those that buy to sell for profit and to support their families – there is nothing wrong with that either – as if the pricing is fair- people will buy, if not – then the parts will sit there. Business is business, collecting and restoring model cars is no different to any other hobby. Pay what you are comfortable paying. Get out and try and find some old shops yourself. It is amazing what you can find in old stores simply by asking a few simple questions.

WHAT MAKES A COLLECTOR?

The official definition of the term collector on the dictionary site “Encarta” is this: “somebody who accumulates objects for their interest, value, or beauty”. In certain circles, the term “collector” has unfairly been given negative connotations. For some reason, certain people seem to think that “collectors” are wealthy, snobbish and hard to deal with. In my experience, nothing could be further from the truth. While there is a certain amount of “extreme focus” when it comes to true collecting, just about every collector that I have met is as passionate about the hobby as I am. I am sure that there are exceptions to the rule - however at the end of the day we keep coming back to the same thing.
We read about, purchase, polish, run, drool over these vintage cars because they make us feel great. There is a real sense of satisfaction to be had from restoring any old car to its former glory. There is enjoyment of all aspects to the vintage car scene. You ca appreciate a NIB kit, a runner, a new built “shelfer”………….all have their own classic appeal, and give different types of enjoyment. Next month it will be back to a car review……..thanks for reading!

Happy NIB Dreams
Darryn Johnson

Well - there is a relatively short version of what I feel (magazine constraints - just could not put everything in!)..... It doesnt have to be agreed with by anyone at all - I just thought I would put it out there.

Cheers

Darryn
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

nice article darryn. that's pretty much what i was getting at from my post that started this thread.

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Thanks mate - seems that there are more than a few that feel the same way I have for years - it is nice not to feel "out on a limb".

Still think this is a great thread. Better to get all the thoughts out in the open.

Cheers

Darryn

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

RETRO R/C wrote:Thanks mate - seems that there are more than a few that feel the same way I have for years - it is nice not to feel "out on a limb".

Still think this is a great thread. Better to get all the thoughts out in the open.

Cheers

Darryn
Who the heck puts their rig on a shelf? Who ever heard of such nonsense? What the ... ?

:wink: :wink:

(have ya gotten that memo yet? :wink: :mrgreen: )
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Halgar you're such a Turkey...Oh I meant Ostrich. :lol:
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

LOLOL - I think the bird needs a clown hat!

Cheers

Darryn

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Call me whatever you want, just don't put me on no shelf.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Before anyone goes all hate mail on me, I'm just poking a little fun. I'm of the opinion that the owner of the RC is the one who paid for it, maintains it, and is entitled to keep it in any manner they wish. I love the artistry that enthusiasts put forth in the creation of their vehicles, and I can appreciate both the love of the object, and the respect for the price tag that would relegate that item to the shelf. I equally love those that, price be damned, are going to run their rigs. And I love those like me that have "aesthetically challenged" rigs, beat the ever loving _ _ _ _ out of them and enjoy every minute of it. There's no "right" or "wrong" way to own an RC, it's all good as long as you're getting enjoyment from the rig and the hobby.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled, public flogging of those that would dare to shelve a rig. :P :wink: :lol: :lol:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!