RC10 Goldpan ESC advice

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tripedaler
Approved Member

RC10 Goldpan ESC advice

Post by tripedaler »

Hi all,

New member here in the Indy area. Mine is a classic "I found our childhood cars in the basement" story. Got the DS and T2 up and running with updated transmiter/receivers ("They don't have crystals anymore?!"). 25 years later and these are still fun, and my boys are having a good time learning with them as well (once I turn the throttle down to 15%...).

Now I'm moving on to my brother's Goldpan in the hopes of giving it back to him for his bday.

I'm wondering is about the ESC. I'm getting rid of the mechanical unit - it looks like it could catch fire any moment - and planning on a simple brushed ESC to run with the Trinity Midnight motor for now. Is the Quicrun 1060 sufficient? I'll also need to make the battery longitudinal rather than transverse (NiMH batteries are bigger than our old NiCads?), but that should be easy.

Glad to see there's a great enthusiast community for these special cars - cheers.

JosephS

Re: RC10 Goldpan ESC advice

Post by JosephS »

tripedaler wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:38 pm Hi all,

New member here in the Indy area. Mine is a classic "I found our childhood cars in the basement" story. Got the DS and T2 up and running with updated transmiter/receivers ("They don't have crystals anymore?!"). 25 years later and these are still fun, and my boys are having a good time learning with them as well (once I turn the throttle down to 15%...).

Now I'm moving on to my brother's Goldpan in the hopes of giving it back to him for his bday.

I'm wondering is about the ESC. I'm getting rid of the mechanical unit - it looks like it could catch fire any moment - and planning on a simple brushed ESC to run with the Trinity Midnight motor for now. Is the Quicrun 1060 sufficient? I'll also need to make the battery longitudinal rather than transverse (NiMH batteries are bigger than our old NiCads?), but that should be easy.

Glad to see there's a great enthusiast community for these special cars - cheers.
You are on the right path. The quickrun 1060 is a great esc for a brushed system. The battery backs are just slightly longer and make it a pain. Even in a longitudinal configuration it can be hard to fit. Some people have drilled holes for the battery slightly closer to the nose of the car so the packs fit easier.

The older white nylon will dehydrate over the decades making it more brittle. It's a really good idea to rehydrate the nylon. You can boil it for a few minutes in water, or just let the parts sit in a jar of water for a day or two.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Hi. Welcome. That's an acceptable ESC to pick. Do you have any pictures of the buggy? Maybe we could give it a once over look to see if there's anything needing attention. Are you doing anything with bearings, tires, etc? Plus it's always nice to have new pictures.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

tripedaler
Approved Member

Post by tripedaler »

Thanks all. I'll add some pictures in due course - looks like HIEC format photos from an iPhone don't work on here.

@JosephS, are you referring to the white nylon for the battery holder, or simply all of the white nylon? Even compared to my DS and T2, this car does seem brittle!

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

tripedaler wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:35 pm Thanks all. I'll add some pictures in due course - looks like HIEC format photos from an iPhone don't work on here.

@JosephS, are you referring to the white nylon for the battery holder, or simply all of the white nylon? Even compared to my DS and T2, this car does seem brittle!
I mean all of the white nylon. If it feels brittle it likely is. Once you soak it or boil it will will have some give to it. When I pulled my old rc10 out of storage I shattered some parts until I learned that. Afterwards they are good as new.

tripedaler
Approved Member

Post by tripedaler »

Perfect, thanks

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

The 1060 is a pretty good esc, nice and simple. But if you want to spend a little more, the 1080 is a huge upgrade. It has a higher current capacity and is programmable, with a ton of features.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

tripedaler
Approved Member

Post by tripedaler »

juicedcoupe wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:29 pm The 1060 is a pretty good esc, nice and simple. But if you want to spend a little more, the 1080 is a huge upgrade. It has a higher current capacity and is programmable, with a ton of features.
Thanks. Read up on your gp build by the way- looked amazing! Did you ever get to the body? The thread left me hanging.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

tripedaler wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:55 pm Thanks. Read up on your gp build by the way- looked amazing! Did you ever get to the body? The thread left me hanging.
I have six gold pan buggies and all have bodies, but I assume that you are referring to this one (from the "what did you do" thread).
Screenshot_20230814_201302_Samsung Internet.jpg
If it was a different one, let me know.

tripedaler
Approved Member

Post by tripedaler »

It was your first build thread where you found the GP I think and converted it to brushless and mid motor. Very cool!

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

tripedaler wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:52 am It was your first build thread where you found the GP I think and converted it to brushless and mid motor. Very cool!
Wrong person. I don't have any brushless or mid motor buggies.

tripedaler
Approved Member

Post by tripedaler »

Oops yup it was @AVguy. my bad. Sharp looking gp yourself though!

tripedaler
Approved Member

Post by tripedaler »

At long last, some Goldpan pics. It is a B stamp championship car.
Attachments
IMG_2167.jpeg
IMG_2166.jpeg
IMG_2190.jpeg
IMG_2168.jpeg

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

Flip it, we all like seeing the stamp.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

tripedaler
Approved Member

Post by tripedaler »

IMG_2293 Medium.jpeg
IMG_2294 Medium.jpeg
IMG_2295 Medium.jpeg
At long last some chassis photos -stripped and cleaned. It is a B stamp champ car. Just got some new rear hub carriers today (brother had super glued one of them!) and a set of Tony’s Screws.
Waiting on a bearing kit. Now to commence the rebuild.

The only thing I’m really wondering about is wheels
And tires - any recs?