Shock Cap thread and 1/8" hinge pins

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LusBus
Approved Member

Shock Cap thread and 1/8" hinge pins

Post by LusBus »

Hello friends of the RC10

Does anybody know what thread the shock caps have? Diameter, pitch, angle?

And: I would like to use metric hingepins (3mm), but they would have to much play. Has anybody made experiences using a sort of bushing? Should be 3mm inside and 3,175mm outside diameter which leaves a very very thin wall (+/- 0.1mm). Has anybody found/made/used something like that? Should be possible, but would need a precise lathe (especially the chuck).

Thanks a lot

Lus
RC10 collection in Switzerland: Original, Classic (ReRe), "Plastic" (homemade milled white cahssis), CE, Graphite-Andys, TeamCar, WorldsCar, WorldsCar ReRe, "CouldHaveBeen" (homemade similar to "RPM"), B3, 3x B4, 2x B5

juicedcoupe

Re: Shock Cap thread and 1/8" hinge pins

Post by juicedcoupe »

Probably easier to find tubing with the correct ID, then ream the parts to fit the tubing.

The easiest solution is probably to order the correct parts from Lunsford. They still make them.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

juicedcoupe wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:00 am The easiest solution is probably to order the correct parts from Lunsford. They still make them.
The Lunsford set is also inexpensive compared to other options.

The rc10 set https://lunsfordracing.com/collections/team-associated-rc10-1/products/titanium-hinge-pin-kit-for-team-associated-rc10

Are you sure you need new pins? If you only need a or 2 you can get them off e-bay for about $10 a pair.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

LusBus wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:36 am Hello friends of the RC10

Does anybody know what thread the shock caps have? Diameter, pitch, angle?
Lus
I am not certain on the shock caps, but the new 10mm hardware from the element trucks does not thread on to the older shocks. Are you looking to make custom caps for your shocks? the shock cap threads and size stayed standard from the rc10 all the way to the rc10b4. So there a number of caps that would work.

On my team car build I really liked the composite caps.

LusBus
Approved Member

Post by LusBus »

Thanks for all the hints and ideas!

Concerning the hinge pins:
- Reaming the original parts would be an easy solution, but I don't want to work on original parts, they should stay original.
- Lunsford is a good idea, but very expensive. I will convert at least 10 cars...
- I have 5 Meters of 3mm round titanium Grade 5 bar stock here, so I will use this.

New solution/idea: I ordered titanium sheet metal 0.1mm, this ist not so expensive (1/- 10 dollars a 10cm x 1m roll) and I will cut little square pads and roll and insert them into the parts... I will post an update if this works well...

For the shock caps:
I will build a few cars (at least 6 with longer front arms using my twin-plate chassis, truck noseplate and longer front arms. So I need 6 pairs of longer shocks (they where called "rear short" at hte time)

I will use this chassis: https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=47249
and these arms: https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=47141
RC10 collection in Switzerland: Original, Classic (ReRe), "Plastic" (homemade milled white cahssis), CE, Graphite-Andys, TeamCar, WorldsCar, WorldsCar ReRe, "CouldHaveBeen" (homemade similar to "RPM"), B3, 3x B4, 2x B5

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

If you measure the lengths you need, the turnbuckle sets can be pieced together more cheaply from steel parts made by Schumacher. This site shows many of the options available:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?cID=&s=schumacher+turnbuckle
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

LusBus wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:49 am For the shock caps:
I will build a few cars (at least 6 with longer front arms using my twin-plate chassis, truck noseplate and longer front arms. So I need 6 pairs of longer shocks (they where called "rear short" at hte time)
The Quadra shock tower from Factory Works fits the truck bulkhead and uses the buggy length (0.71) shocks.

Alternatively, they also offer the RPM tower. It uses the truck length (1.02) shocks but has the correct geometry for a buggy. It also has more room for the body to pass through.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

LusBus
Approved Member

Post by LusBus »

Thanks a lot.

To be very precise:

- Shock towers are not the problem, I will design and cut them on my own anyway. Of course I could design them for .71 Buggy shocks, but I like the look of the long shocks. So I have to make shocks, this is why I am looking for the thread (diameter, pitch, angle).

- Turnbuckles are not the problem, good idea the Schumachers, thanks a lot. But I will make them on my own from Aluminium.

- Hingepins: I want to use the rods I have, 5 Meters of 3mm Grade 5 round titanium bar stock. :D I will try the solution with the sheet metal, will post my experience with it here.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

LusBus wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:29 am Thanks a lot.

To be very precise:

- Shock towers are not the problem, I will design and cut them on my own anyway. Of course I could design them for .71 Buggy shocks, but I like the look of the long shocks. So I have to make shocks, this is why I am looking for the thread (diameter, pitch, angle).

- Turnbuckles are not the problem, good idea the Schumachers, thanks a lot. But I will make them on my own from Aluminium.

- Hingepins: I want to use the rods I have, 5 Meters of 3mm Grade 5 round titanium bar stock. :D I will try the solution with the sheet metal, will post my experience with it here.
Did your hinge pin idea work?