Ultimate Egress, Vanquish Front Caster Modification (needs to be made)

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Ultimate Egress, Vanquish Front Caster Modification (needs to be made)

Post by TokyoProf »

Problem: Egress, Avante, Vanquish models have no front caster.

Question: Can someone give these classic 4WD buggies caster...using an updated easy to install 3D design?

Why? Jamie Booth, won a championship with the modified font caster Egress, and was competitive with top 4WDs at the time. This problem was addressed by the 1990 Egress Team car through handmade aluminum suspension arm holders, and machined nylon suspension arms. The front modification alone was the most significant improvement on the car. He even won the I main at the 1989 IFMAR race. https://tamiyabase.com/articles/46-technical/219-egress-jamie-booth-replica

There is a 3D Shapeway option today that replicates the Booth modification. However, this requires handwork like the original, and seeks to replicate the original, and its' weaknesses. A great effort for sure. But....I amhttps://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=47032 interested only in improving the handling of the Egress by giving the front caster. Rear toe-in would be great but that is asking for too much in this post I think.

Request: Create an original front caster design that is fairly easy to install on a standard-issue Egress. It doesn't need to copy the Booth design. If you make this...you will make a LOT of owners happy to actually throw the cars on a race track.
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Ultimate Egress, Vanquish Front Caster Modification (needs to be made)

Post by GoMachV »

Manobet on Facebook seems to do exactly this type of very low volume custom work. You would probably need to come to him with a design in mind.
Attachments
EF93D6C4-85A8-489A-B179-ECC67BCFF4A1.jpeg
3760BE0F-F049-4E6F-B61E-80D6577B6EF0.jpeg
67F3B785-5B11-4F14-9370-9258F732C7BE.jpeg
305AEC6E-FAF9-4FEA-8E8A-35A93A239464.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Whoever chose to do this would need access to an Egress for the period of design and testing and a lot of tech information on the required angles , it's unlikely that the sales volume would cover the cost of a car as a test platform let alone the time involved so your looking for an existing owner with the tech skills .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:15 am Manobet on Facebook seems to do exactly this type of very low volume custom work. You would probably need to come to him with a design in mind.
I came across his facebook site just this week. His work looks top notch and that transmission brace is a nice thoughtful touch. He might be promising thanks.
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

Dadio wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:15 am Whoever chose to do this would need access to an Egress for the period of design and testing and a lot of tech information on the required angles, it's unlikely that the sales volume would cover the cost of a car as a test platform let alone the time involved so your looking for an existing owner with the tech skills.
You are right on the design, angles, and testing--it will take some skills. But, we have the general engineering design template from the link I provided--nylon materials and more simple design are welcome. I am willing to donate my spare vehicle to get this project done. I missed the short run on the "Jamie Booth design" (mostly for shelf display collectors) years ago before the advent of today's 3D printing and design abilities. We have a lot Avante, Egress, Vanquish owners here in Japan and in Europe too I think.

Front caster on the Egress, according to Jamie Booth (one of the first Tamiya sponsored drivers), made his buggy competitive with Yokomo's and Kyosho 4WD buggies at a ROAR competition. I wanted this modification badly in grade school lol. If Japanese engineers can hand make this modification in the early 90s we can get this done in 2022. If you are interested in this project let us know! It is not easy, but very worthwhile on a classic buggy.

cougartoo

Post by cougartoo »

I ran an egress for many years back in the day, I used to heat the front wishbones, put a screw driver through the mounting holes and twist them back slightly thus gaining some caster (albeit never a very precise amount!). There were a few Egress drivers at the club and they all ran like this. It was never an exact science but definately helped the handling. I also saw at the nationals once a guy had machined his own aluminium uprights that fitted the original wishbones but added a couple of degrees of caster.

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

cougartoo wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:23 pm I ran an egress for many years back in the day, I used to heat the front wishbones, put a screw driver through the mounting holes and twist them back slightly thus gaining some caster (albeit never a very precise amount!). There were a few Egress drivers at the club and they all ran like this. It was never an exact science but definately helped the handling. I also saw at the nationals once a guy had machined his own aluminium uprights that fitted the original wishbones but added a couple of degrees of caster.
Hello, wow okay that is really cool to hear! Do you have a picture of what you did? It's kind of fascinating to know what other Egress drivers did to create castor. I was also informed that removing all the sway bars also improved handling of the Egress. Also did you prefer the one-way or full time 4wD option?

Question. If you remember what were the handling improvements that you experienced with the caster on your Egress? Did you win against the rivals at the time?

cougartoo

Post by cougartoo »

I still have the car in the loft, I'll dig it out at some point and photo it for you. It was a long long time ago and set up details are now hazy but I used to run without the sway bars usually I think and with associated shocks. I generally ran with the one way fitted though occasionally Id run with the centre diff from an avante but to be honest I cant remember under which conditions that benefitted.
The added castor was only a couple of degrees (and as you can imagine with that method was by no means exact!) but definately helped pulling out of corners and landing from jumps.
The car was never the most competetive in the field, i was never the best driver and it was also a heavy car compared to the Optimas and CATs that everyone else seemed to be running at the time. That said I tried a CAT for a few meetings and didnt really get on with it so went back to the Egress as it was just a nice car to drive imo and I was never about the winning.

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

cougartoo wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:53 am I still have the car in the loft, I'll dig it out at some point and photo it for you. It was a long long time ago and set up details are now hazy but I used to run without the sway bars usually I think and with associated shocks. I generally ran with the one way fitted though occasionally Id run with the centre diff from an avante but to be honest I cant remember under which conditions that benefitted.
The added castor was only a couple of degrees (and as you can imagine with that method was by no means exact!) but definately helped pulling out of corners and landing from jumps.
The car was never the most competetive in the field, i was never the best driver and it was also a heavy car compared to the Optimas and CATs that everyone else seemed to be running at the time. That said I tried a CAT for a few meetings and didnt really get on with it so went back to the Egress as it was just a nice car to drive imo and I was never about the winning.
That is pretty neat. On the West Coast, I remember being only 1 of 2 running with the Egress. To get rear toe-in, I was about to drill two holes in the rear link suspension (to move further inward) but didn't want to wreck the chassis. I never won lol like you...but hey I looked cool on the straightaway... Landing on medium size jumps with throttle completely ate up the gears inside (which is why the Vanquish center differential was a better option for me at the time. The weight balance and the landing would seem to be a LOT better with the right LIPO battery today.

I asked to have the castor item hand-made, so will see if he gets back to me later this year on that request :).

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

cougartoo wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:53 am I still have the car in the loft, I'll dig it out at some point and photo it for you. It was a long long time ago and set up details are now hazy but I used to run without the sway bars usually I think and with associated shocks. I generally ran with the one way fitted though occasionally Id run with the centre diff from an avante but to be honest I cant remember under which conditions that benefitted.
That is pretty neat. On the West Coast, I remember being only 1 of 2 running with the Egress. To get rear toe-in, I was about to drill two holes in the rear link suspension (to move further inward) but didn't want to wreck the chassis. I never won lol like you...but hey I looked cool on the straightaway... Landing on medium size jumps with throttle completely ate up the gears inside (which is why the Vanquish center differential was a better option for me at the time. The weight balance and the landing would seem to be a LOT better with the right LIPO battery today.

I asked to have the castor item hand-made, so will see if he gets back to me later this year on that request :).