RPM-X2

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

RPM-X2

Post by mrlexan »

While working my effort to reduce my inventory, I have also tried to work in some time to finish off a few long standing projects. This one is particular was started about a 1.5 year ago, just before I moved. Since then, I acquired, well almost the last few parts I needed to complete it.... still missing two. Anyway, I wanted to mix the JRX2 with all the RPM parts I could find. It has the following (off the top of my head):

- All RPM parts made, even down to the shock mount bushings...... minus the battery box and the steering cranks (can't bring myself to mod a perfectly good chassis to install these, but I have them off to the side).
- All Thorp/Dirt Burners gear box and diff, including the alloy center gear.
- Litesink heatsink.
- MIP dog bone conversion.
- MIP steering bar.
- Parma steering crank stiffner.
- TMS FRP rear shock mount.
- A&L long front shock mount.
- Tecna turnbuckles.
- A&L Powerdisc Slipper Conversion.
- Losi 1.2 blue shocks on the front and 0.9 blue shocks on the rear with yellow springs.... yes, I know they aren't "period correct", but there is method to the madness. Once I get the (repro) body painted it will go on along the RPM logo theme, hence the yellow and blue subtle accents.

Also I have all the RPM for the 5 Link conversion, but I decided to stick with the H-Arm parts. I would love to do another with the 5 Link, but it took me forever to get one set of parts, so........ not sure that will happen, at least anytime soon.

Still need:
- One front 1.2 yellow shock spring (can't find where it wandered off to)
- One either blue or yellow colored spur gear..... Anyone know if Trinity Magic ever made one in yellow or blue? Any suggestions for alternatives? It needs to have either the two or three bolt attachment holes.

Anyway, enjoy the pics and comments are welcome.

jay
Attachments
IMG_2417.JPG
IMG_2417.JPG (157.81 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
IMG_2417.JPG
IMG_2417.JPG (157.81 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
IMG_2420.JPG
IMG_2420.JPG (152.97 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
IMG_2420.JPG
IMG_2420.JPG (152.97 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
IMG_2418.JPG
IMG_2418.JPG (154.4 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
IMG_2418.JPG
IMG_2418.JPG (154.4 KiB) Viewed 1541 times
IMG_2421.JPG
IMG_2421.JPG (171.12 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
IMG_2421.JPG
IMG_2421.JPG (171.12 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

scr8p
Administrator

Re: RPM-X2

Post by scr8p »

looks great jay. :)

you have to alter the chassis for the rpm steering bellcranks, too?

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Yeah, they want you to drill out the 4-40 hole to a 8-32 hole..... I just can't do it.
www.gojammedia.com

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Very Nice, another RPM addict,
IS the mip dogbone conversion the one with a universal on the outboard side or are they a true dogbone like on the stock rc10?
You've got some nice parts I've never even seen before, like the lockup bracket and mip steering bar.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

You have no front body mount. 8)
Have fun mounting the body, that front bulkhead has an extra 10 degrees of caster/kick-up which moves the shock tower back slightly, which(if you trim along the molded in trim lines) moves the body back slightly, which in turn makes the body hit the top of the litesink. I wound up taking a small section of lexan out of the area around the litesink to get clearance for the heatsink. Without doing this I couldn't put a body pin in the back without bowing the roof.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

mrlexan wrote:Yeah, they want you to drill out the 4-40 hole to a 8-32 hole..... I just can't do it.
i'm not one for drilling holes in a new chassis, but i'd do that mod. simply because if at any time you'd want to put the original bellcrank back on it, the 4-40 flathead screws will still work. it'd just look like an rc10 with an mip bellcrank on it, being able to see some of the countersunk hole from the 8-32 screw.

the battery box is a different story. i can't understand why rpm didn't make it directly fit one of the cars (rc10, jrx2). :?

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I found the other 1.2 spring! :D

Anthony, The dog bone kit is the one with the universal. Can't say I have ever seen a true dog bone kit. Also, if I were to run the car, I would mod that lock up bracket, it doesn't allow the full rotation of the bell cranks. As for the body, it is a repro so I am not too concerned about it.

Jason, how do you figure I could use the same steering parts? Once you open up the hole, the 4-40 would just pass right through? :?

I am still in some suggestions for the spur in blue or yellow?
www.gojammedia.com

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

mrlexan wrote: As for the body, it is a repro so I am not too concerned about it.

Jason, how do you figure I could use the same steering parts? Once you open up the hole, the 4-40 would just pass right through? :?
Where did you get a repro from?

The 4-40 will nestle down low in a properly drilled/countersunk 8-32 hole, but does not pass through. try one to see for yourself, that is how the mip steering kits mount as Jason pointed out.

For the sake of completeness, did you use RPM shock pistons and RPM universals on the dogbone conversion?
(talk about nit-picky)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

your welcome. :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRINITY-100T-SPUR-GEAR-64-PITCH-THIN-PRO-SPUR-1100_W0QQitemZ200203679998QQihZ010QQcategoryZ34063QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

might be a little smaller than you'd want, but it's yellow. i don't ever recall ever seeing a blue spur gear. you could dye one, too.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Repros were sold awhile back on ebay from a user name along the lines of wildwilly38 or something like that. I know it made the rounds on the forum.

Gotcha on the 4-40 thing. No RPM pistons, don't have any... sold them. As for the universals, not sure I know what you mean. The only RPM universals I have or have seen are the ones that bolt up to the stock gear box. Those won't work here, as it needs the slot for the dog bone.

I don't think the spur will work.... I'll post a pic of the type I need.
www.gojammedia.com

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

mrlexan wrote:Repros were sold awhile back on ebay from a user name along the lines of wildwilly38 or something like that. I know it made the rounds on the forum.

As for the universals, not sure I know what you mean. The only RPM universals I have or have seen are the ones that bolt up to the stock gear box. Those won't work here, as it needs the slot for the dog bone.
I've got one of the same bodies then. I wish they were still available as I'd love to paint a couple up without worrying about messing it up or running it.

The RPM universals are the ones that usually go on the gearbox. The mip kit uses the stock outdrives on the outboard end of the dogbone to mate up with the stock axle. You can use the RPM u-joints there.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I've seen a few Robinson white machined spurs floating around ebay lately, could get that and dye it.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Great car I have almost the same car with all RPM ams and stuff just like it that I raced in the late 80's early 90's do you have the part number on that dog bone conversion I need one bad and have been looking for a while now. and the number for the RPM rear arms I want another set and the part number would really help thanks Rick
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

That's purdy Jay, awesome Losi mate, I'm still waiting for you on the finish line with my almost all done projects :lol: You once said you would catch me up :wink: Really nice, keep us posted :!:

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

i have the rpm bellcranks on my oval car, but they were drilled out for bearings so i can use the stock losi mounts. i didn't drill them,they were given too me by a local oval racer. i eas told thats the way some guys use to run those back in the day due to getting dirt ground into the plastic style rpm mount. as far as the bulkhead they did make 2 styles one stock and one with an extra 10 degrees. the extra 10 degrees were to be used on the older jrx2's that only had a 20 degree nose so they could be more competitive with the rc10's 30 degree nose. mrlexan you wouldnt happen to have any more of those bulkheads would you? i could use an extra of each one.