Hello from Devon, UK

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jasonsanders

Hello from Devon, UK

Post by jasonsanders »

Hi All

I used to be into RC has a kid and had the usual Tamiya's and Nitro RC Cars.
Recently I was at a Car Boot sale (Think Flea Market) and stumbled across a box of random RC bits, amongst them was this little beauty.
Cost me a whopping £5!
Would like to restore it, maybe tastefully modify it with better bearings / gears etc. I'm open to suggestions.

Has anyone got any tips on reducing the visibility of scratches on the bottom of the chassis?
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Synergy
Approved Member

Re: Hello from Devon, UK

Post by Synergy »

Welcome to the board from a fellow UK member 👍

That has got to be up there with the best RC10 deals ever 😎

Give it a good clean with hot water and washing up liquid and then you’ll get a better idea on what you’re starting with.

I don’t think there are any easy remedies for scratches on the chassis if you want to retain the anodised finish other than a replacement but I could be wrong. Often people go the painted or powder coated direction depending on how badly it is scratched.

Stick a thread in the vintage RC10 buggy section tracking your cleaning and rebuilding progress and members will chip in with suggestions and upgrades depending on what you’d like to achieve.

This is a great place, members are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

jasonsanders

Post by jasonsanders »

Thanks for the welcome, I plan on stripping it all down and putting it in the ultrasonic cleaner.
Will then peroxide the nylon to bring it back to white (my other hobby/money sink is old computers so retrobrite a lot of plastics)

I also got a Mardave Cobra TQ in the box of bits which is more complete, parts for that are also readily available

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Welcome aboard Jason.

That's a great find and at an awesome price. Well done sir! 8)

You might want to do a thorough cleanup before deciding what to do about the scratches on the tub. I'm not aware of any process to touch up scratches and make them completely invisible. However, if the scratches are confined to the bottom, you won't see them anyway.
Remember, an item is only original once. If you paint, powder coat or even if you have the tub re-anodized, it will no longer be original and the color probably won't match other anno parts on the car. Some of my most cherished RC's have a few scratches and I don't let it bother me because I prefer to keep them original.
Anyway, it's just a suggestion of course. :wink:
I hope you post your restoration project in the appropriate forum so we can admire it. :D
Doug

jasonsanders

Post by jasonsanders »

XLR8 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:11 pm Welcome aboard Jason.

That's a great find and at an awesome price. Well done sir! 8)

You might want to do a thorough cleanup before deciding what to do about the scratches on the tub. I'm not aware of any process to touch up scratches and make them completely invisible. However, if the scratches are confined to the bottom, you won't see them anyway.
Remember, an item is only original once. If you paint, powder coat or even if you have the tub re-anodized, it will no longer be original and the color probably won't match other anno parts on the car. Some of my most cherished RC's have a few scratches and I don't let it bother me because I prefer to keep them original.
Anyway, it's just a suggestion of course. :wink:
I hope you post your restoration project in the appropriate forum so we can admire it. :D
Hi yes, I don't want to refinish the tub, might just clean it up and maybe cover the bottom in some clear protective vinyl, to stop it getting any worse but not to hide or destroy it

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

So how bad is the bottom? I don't see a pic in either thread.
Self described chronic hobbyist

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

if u can find a gold Sharpie it helps with the scratches on aluminum....if not play around with yellow and orange Sharpies at the same time until it gets pretty close. i did with a vintage Lemans 480gold motor....real respectable results
Tap pic for clarity: Derek