Full Spike tyres for Nitro 10?

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ColH

Full Spike tyres for Nitro 10?

Post by ColH »

Am trying to look into changing the standard 2.2" 'mini spike' tyres on my Nitro 10 Mk3 for full spike. There's plenty of places to get tyres and inserts, but I'm unclear on what I'm going to need for wheels. I know how real tyres are sized (width and 'aspect ratio') - is it the same for RC cars?
The Schumacher catalogue uses sizes such as "20x15" (the stock part), and "8x10", "3x20". The numbers strike me as a bit inconsistent. Edit: maybe 1st number is mm width, 2nd is mm sidewall height?
Smaller overall OD would be fine - would give more torque [useful] but lower top speed [not needed]. Whereas larger OD would strain tranny and engine more anyway? Same OD would be good compromise - don't want to lose too much ground clearance.
I see from manual that the wheels have dogs to the driveshaft. Normal, no doubt, but need the correct hub/dog size?

Short version of a long waffle .... :oops: ..... - can anyone suggest full spike tyres and wheels for the job?

[Yes, yes, I haven't got the thing running yet :x - just planning, in hope, future mods]
"Just remember this - in [most other countries] they drive on the wrong side of the road"

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: Full Spike tyres for Nitro 10?

Post by Incredible_Serious »

ColH wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:39 am Am trying to look into changing the standard 2.2" 'mini spike' tyres on my Nitro 10 Mk3 for full spike. There's plenty of places to get tyres and inserts, but I'm unclear on what I'm going to need for wheels. I know how real tyres are sized (width and 'aspect ratio') - is it the same for RC cars?
The Schumacher catalogue uses sizes such as "20x15" (the stock part), and "8x10", "3x20". The numbers strike me as a bit inconsistent. Edit: maybe 1st number is mm width, 2nd is mm sidewall height?
Smaller overall OD would be fine - would give more torque [useful] but lower top speed [not needed]. Whereas larger OD would strain tranny and engine more anyway? Same OD would be good compromise - don't want to lose too much ground clearance.
I see from manual that the wheels have dogs to the driveshaft. Normal, no doubt, but need the correct hub/dog size?

Short version of a long waffle .... :oops: ..... - can anyone suggest full spike tyres and wheels for the job?

[Yes, yes, I haven't got the thing running yet :x - just planning, in hope, future mods]
Colin, you'll need Schumacher truck wheels to match the 'castle' hub fitment that Schumacher use... either that, or go the route of grabbing hex adaptors from Shapeways (to run 12mm hex wheels), or the Yokomo alloy adapters that pop up from time to time (although, you may struggle to find either those or the wheels!). I have plenty of used wheels, but being on the other side of the world, postage for used items might be a killer.... another option would be jumping on one of the vintage Schumacher Facebook pages, and putting up a wanted request...

Tyres should be easy enough, as any standard stadium truck tyre *should* fit... just a matter of finding something close to you. Most of my trucks have Vee-2 and Vee-4 tyres on them, because (a) that's what they came with, and (b) they don't get run - I have too many incomplete projects!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

As you are talking about 15x20 tyres I assume you have the buggy version, with the buggy wheels. The 20x15, 3x20, 8x10 were the spike layout on the tyres, not the tyre size. Buggy tyres are standard sizes, either 2" diameter for really old tyres or 2.2" diameter for everything after the early 90s.

Wheels are easy, JC Racing Products still sell wheels to fit in 2.2" https://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/wheels/schumacher-cat-5-spoke
Then any modern buggy tyre will fit straight on. If you want big spikes then Schumacher still sell them, part numbers U6595 and U6596

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

terry.sc wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:31 pm Wheels are easy, JC Racing Products still sell wheels to fit in 2.2" https://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/wheels/schumacher-cat-5-spoke
Then any modern buggy tyre will fit straight on. If you want big spikes then Schumacher still sell them, part numbers U6595 and U6596
Terry,

It's just a shame JC don't make truck wheels :roll:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

ColH

Post by ColH »

terry.sc wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:31 pm As you are talking about 15x20 tyres I assume you have the buggy version, with the buggy wheels. The 20x15, 3x20, 8x10 were the spike layout on the tyres, not the tyre size. Buggy tyres are standard sizes, either 2" diameter for really old tyres or 2.2" diameter for everything after the early 90s.

Wheels are easy, JC Racing Products still sell wheels to fit in 2.2" https://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/wheels/schumacher-cat-5-spoke
Thanks both. It was a bit of a [seemingly logical..] guess about the 'size' description!
I assume it is full spike tyres I should be wanting - looking for something that'll be better on grass than the Mini Spike.
"Just remember this - in [most other countries] they drive on the wrong side of the road"

ColH

Post by ColH »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:00 pm another option would be jumping on one of the vintage Schumacher Facebook pages, and putting up a wanted request...
Ewwwww..... as a life-long engineer and s/w techie I'm doing everything I can to avoid ever having to join the Book Of Face :shock:

ColH

Post by ColH »

terry.sc wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:31 pm Then any modern buggy tyre will fit straight on. If you want big spikes then Schumacher still sell them, part numbers U6595 and U6596
Yep - they're the ones I was looking at.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

ColH wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:07 pm
Incredible_Serious wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:00 pm another option would be jumping on one of the vintage Schumacher Facebook pages, and putting up a wanted request...
Ewwwww..... as a life-long engineer and s/w techie I'm doing everything I can to avoid ever having to join the Book Of Face :shock:
More power to you, mate..... became a necessary evil for me when MSN Messenger was phased out and replaced with Windows Live - the only way I can stay in touch with some friends OS.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

ColH

Post by ColH »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:00 pm Colin, you'll need Schumacher truck wheels to match the 'castle' hub fitment that Schumacher use... either that, or go the route of grabbing hex adaptors from Shapeways (to run 12mm hex wheels), or the Yokomo alloy adapters that pop up from time to time (although, you may struggle to find either those or the wheels!).
I knew there was a reason I should have a 3D printer!! :)
Thanks for the pointers, guys - I'll look into those options.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I'm confused, is it a buggy or a truck ?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

RC10th wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:17 pm I'm confused, is it a buggy or a truck ?
I've assumed truck, as I saw yellow wheels in one of the photos.... :wink: :shock:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

ColH

Post by ColH »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:27 pm
I've assumed truck, as I saw yellow wheels in one of the photos.... :wink: :shock:

Alex
Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm confused about that too! Got asked similar question today. I dunno - what's the difference....? :?
If I put a 911 bodyshell on it, does that make it a sports car lol....?
Seriously, what is the difference?!?!
Attachments
s-l1600 (10).jpg

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

ColH wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:49 pm
Incredible_Serious wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:27 pm

Alex
Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm confused about that too! Got asked similar question today. I dunno - what's the difference....? :?
If I put a 911 bodyshell on it, does that make it a sports car lol....?
Seriously, what is the difference?!?!
Generally speaking, with the mk1 and mk2 Nitro 10 models, all you changed to go from touring to truck was the body, wheels and tyres, truck bumper, and the rake angle of the front shock tower.

Once you get to the mk3, though, things change a bit.... on top of the points mentioned above, the touring version also has different (short) front wishbones, turnbuckles instead of moulded links, shock spacers inside the shocks, and the rear wishbones are mounted at a slightly different angle. It's all in and addendum to the Mk3 Instruction manual - which I sent through with the manual.

Is it worth all the palaver to run a rally body? Up to you I guess..... :roll:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

Retro rc

Post by Retro rc »

Looks like a truck to me truck body and wheels

Here’s a link to Schumacher’s truck tires

http://www.racing-cars.com/sp/category/Old_Cars_and_Parts/subcategory/Nitro_21_XTR-3E/templateid/12/searchbox7/1-10_Truck_Tyres.html

Probably try the vee 4 or vee 2 for grass