Old DS lives again

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dazza
Approved Member

Old DS lives again

Post by Dazza »

I added a DS to my collection a few years ago now, but as parts for it are scarce in New Zealand I wasn't too keen to actually use it. A few weeks ago I bought a load of new old stock parts including some DS stuff. So now I've got spares I'm going to take it to the next race meeting and see how it goes on the track. When I first got it, I pretty much stripped it down, gave the parts a clean then quickly put it back together before I forgot what went where. Now I have a manual which is great and I can tell that it is a conversion car for a start, and it also has a few things that are not right for a DS: The rear axles are standard RC10 units which don't really mate up with the new wheels very well, so I have replaced them with the 3/16 units. It also had the steering block / axle type that you are not supposed to use. So they have been replaced with aluminium inline axles and steering blocks.
I decided to go with a 21.5 blinky setup and I have no idea what gearing to run, so any suggestions would be appreciated. The other thing I need to decide is whether to run the treaded tires or some foams. I have a set of NIP 8898 rear foams and 8888 front foams, or the standard rubber that comes with the kit. Any tips on general setup would also be nice.
Attachments
DS back.jpg
DS front.jpg

KidAgain

Re: Old DS lives again

Post by KidAgain »

Very nice and extremely fun car to own, cant help you on gearing but the tires I can.

Take the original treaded rubbers off and save them you will not find another set unless you have spares, foams are good also but will wear quick on asphalt. If you go to my DS mid mount build you can see the rubber tires I use which are plentiful and fit great on the original wheels................... Rear body mounts are still available but fronts your gonna have to get creative or adapt some other tall mount.

Jake
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Its best to start off with the stock gearing provided in the manual and go from there.

For handling its best to dial out some steering...The DS is twitchy and sensitive.

Once steering is dialed out, she becomes a well controlled car.

Use a wing in the rear to keep that end planted in the turns...the weight is in the rear on the electric DS.

If you want to use aftermarket wheels and tires, look to replace the front end C-hub and axle with that of the SC10. It will allow you to use 12mm hex wheels. You'll need 12mm hex drives for the rear.

Hope this helps.

Dazza
Approved Member

Post by Dazza »

Thanks for the tip on F104 tyres Jake they look like the business for outdoors racing. The first race meeting I will take it to is indoors on artificial turf, do you think they will work there, or I should stick with foam? Also the taping on the inside of the tire, is that becuase they are distorting on your low turn motor setup? I don't know if it will have the same problem with a 21.5 motor.

Thanks also for your tips on setup LoboNYC. I will start by making the front a bit stiffer, so I rummaged through my springs and found some silver 3.85lb ones to replace the standard black 3.2lb on the front. I also have some gold springs that came with my East Edinger RC10 that feel even harder that I might try if it needs more. I found some 25 degree front blocks that I will install which should dial down the steering a little too.
Attachments
DS Front springs.jpg

Dazza
Approved Member

Post by Dazza »

I found this handy tuning document for the DS on the Team Associated site:
DS Tuning

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Yes I taped the tires with the 4.5T motor cause they were ready to blow off but work great on my 21.5T without tape.

Tire choice can’t help bud but I know the f104 tires work on my street with jacked up asphalt.
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Dazza
Approved Member

Post by Dazza »

I think I have it setup as well as I can with testing it in the street. I'm sure it will go nowhere near as good on the track, but we'll see I suppose. All I need to do now is find a body for it, that will prove to be a mission i'm sure.

Here it is in nearly race trim:
Attachments
Racer ready.jpg

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

What body do you want :wink:

Dazza
Approved Member

Post by Dazza »

KidAgain wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:34 am What body do you want :wink:
I was thinking it would look pretty good with a 70's muscle car body, but I don't really know whats available. Its a fairly unique size of body that fits the DS isn't it?

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Dazza wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:25 am
KidAgain wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:34 am What body do you want :wink:
I was thinking it would look pretty good with a 70's muscle car body, but I don't really know whats available. Its a fairly unique size of body that fits the DS isn't it?
200mm then you play with wheelbase with the rear hubs.........................HPI is best bet.

Dazza
Approved Member

Post by Dazza »

I found this old 200mm touring car body at my local hobby shop. The wheelbase looks right and the width is perfect. It’s an Opel Astra, and looks like a German touring car. I’m thinking of painting it in a gulf colour scheme.
Attachments
F032881B-CA0C-42E3-8227-A64EFC433ABC.jpeg

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

O man that is awesome very aerodynamic, please post a part number for that body...........................................I want one :wink:

Dazza
Approved Member

Post by Dazza »

KidAgain wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:44 am O man that is awesome very aerodynamic, please post a part number for that body...........................................I want one :wink:
The body is a Frewer Astra, they are locally made in New Zealand, so it might be a little hard to find. The manufacturer is called Frewer International. I'm still trying to come up with a paint scheme for it so no progress on the body yet.
I've been reading a few other posts and I'll just leave this photo here:

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Dazza wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:15 am
KidAgain wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:44 am O man that is awesome very aerodynamic, please post a part number for that body...........................................I want one :wink:
The body is a Frewer Astra, they are locally made in New Zealand, so it might be a little hard to find. The manufacturer is called Frewer International. I'm still trying to come up with a paint scheme for it so no progress on the body yet.
I've been reading a few other posts and I'll just leave this photo here:
Ooooph, would love to have those.................................. :cry: :wink: