RPM Ultra Chassis eBay pick up

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dave00beer
Approved Member

RPM Ultra Chassis eBay pick up

Post by dave00beer »

Hey guys, Picked this up the other day off Ebay, wasn't listed as it should of been, title just said "RC Chassis Unit" I shot the seller a offer and he accepted.

I'm not sure of what exactly Im gonna do with it, keep it/flip it? I am doing a tear down and cleaning, I was possibly thinking of dying it black as the "Pink" has seen its days. The A-arms, battery hold down, rear bulkhead and such, look like they were attempted to be dyed black at one time, but show more of a weird brownish color.

Tires and wheels were trashed as can be seen :lol: Haven't tested the electronics. Front tower (RPM I believe) has some stress marks and hair line cracks near the bulkhead area.

RPM arms, rear mounts and carriers, bumper, steering bellcrank too. (pretty much what all was in the kit I wanna say) I think the rear shafts are MIP? Not sure. Chassis isn't terrible shape, has a hole drilled for the servo screw access, couple small holes in bottom of chassis near battery area. Someone drilled the crap out of the battery hold down/electronics tray and part of rear bulk, where the tray locks into.

Guess a start to another little project, Shes tore down and ready for a good bath as of now. Will update as time allows.

I didnt take any pictures when I got it here, so the ones assembled are from the seller.
Attachments
rpm 7.jpg
rpm 6.jpg
20190303_130004.jpg
20190303_125925.jpg
20190303_131113.jpg
20190303_130809.jpg
20190303_130124.jpg
20190303_125551.jpg
20190303_125732.jpg
20190303_144513.jpg

mikea96

Re: RPM Ultra Chassis eBay pick up

Post by mikea96 »

Nice score! Looks perfect for a black dye job

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

wish I still had my black dyed one. Was after something other than black so I could go 80's colors but then dyed it black and had an offer I couldn't refuse thrown at me so its down the road now. I'm digging the pink. Too bad you didn't have any dylon florescent pink to freshen it up to completely 80's and then you could offset it with pink. Either way I will be watching to see what you do with it Dave! 8) .

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Thanks guys, Just had my daughter pic me up some black RIT while she was out. So....Looks like after a good cleaning, These parts are gonna relax in a nice dark bath. :wink:

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

you'll want to use the RIT dyemore(?) graphite which is essentioally black but for the better of the dyes offered by RIT at this point. The newer RIT black dye formula is not as strong as the old stuff and doesn't work as good anymore.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

klavy69 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:48 pm you'll want to use the RIT dyemore(?) graphite which is essentioally black but for the better of the dyes offered by RIT at this point. The newer RIT black dye formula is not as strong as the old stuff and doesn't work as good anymore.

Todd
Oh....Thanks for the heads up, been a little while since I dyed anything. I will make note of that.

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Nice score bud would love to get me one of those in the original white color.
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

KidAgain wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:19 pm Nice score bud would love to get me one of those in the original white color.
Yeah I hear that, If only there was a miracle dye remover...... :?

Well was sittin around last night enjoying a few cold ones, Got bored and gave the parts a black dye bath.

Everything come out pretty good, chassis has a few spots of inconsistency, but it will work (I might give it one more soaking)

Should work on getting it back together sometime this week.

20190305_143351.jpg
20190305_143425.jpg

Oh yeah and when your messing around on the stove top, and had a few drinks, Be aware of open flame and the Ole-Ladys new kitchen towel. :lol:

20190304_153346.jpg

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

That towel was ugly anyway. :lol:

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Jim85IROC wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:46 pm That towel was ugly anyway. :lol:
Shhhhhhh.......Don't tell her that :lol:

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

dave00beer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:14 pm Oh yeah and when your messing around on the stove top, and had a few drinks, Be aware of open flame and the Ole-Ladys new kitchen towel. :lol:

20190304_153346.jpg
So.... interred, cremated, or will your body just disappear?

:P :D :lol: :shock:
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:04 pm So.... interred, cremated, or will your body just disappear?

:P :D :lol: :shock:
:lol: Nah I'm still here....She suggested that maybe I need supervision next time I use the stove. :P

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Haven't forgot about this guy's, just life's other things going on. Will be getting back to work here real soon, hope to have this put back together before then. I did re-dye the chassis, and color came out pretty dang uniform this time. I used a cheap aluminum turkey roast pan the first time, I didn't preclean it and I believe that had an effect on the process. :?

Will update when I can.

Dave

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Well was able to get a little bit of progress done earlier today. I picked up a stainless screw set from Team KNK, A nice set of screws I do gotta say, every zip lock baggie is marked (paper insert) of what size/type screw. Also picked up a RPM gear cover, some nylon nuts for the shocks and for top of bell crank screws, and a shock collars/cups/etc. bag.

Got the servo mounted, along with the whole front end, steering, etc. I'd like to find two new bell crank (aluminum) screws as the ones have some twist to the Phillips screw insert (a little bit stripped looking) I picked up some stainless screws from home depot, their correct length and thread, but of course the wrong pitch on the countersink therefore they stick out a bit on chassis, Think I can just live with the stockers.
Also the trans is back together and mounted to the plate. Should have the rear section done one day this week I hope. For now here's some more pics.

Question...I'm pretty sure these are Tecnacraft turnbuckles, are they not?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Yes tecnacraft. Looks great!