Groups

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: Groups

Post by Incredible_Serious »

scr8p wrote:I don't care if I'm the only guy around here one day. I'll still be building shit and posting pics. :wink:
...and getting underwear in the mail.....

:lol:
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Thankfully, they never found their way to me....... and that's not an invitation for them to do so either. :lol:

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

scr8p wrote:Thankfully, they never found their way to me....... and that's not an invitation for them to do so either. :lol:
Someone send this man a poster print of farmer, STAT!!!
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

scr8p wrote:...
But I think a lot of it goes to what Richie mentioned. For instance, I can post a picture of a car I'm building on there and get 80 likes. I can post that same pic on here and get 2 comments. Sure, it makes you feel good to get all of those likes. But after all of the likes that pic got, only 4-5 people actually took the time to comment on it. So really, how is it any different than the pic here on the forum? If 100 people look at the pic on here, I'd be willing to bet that at least half of them probably liked what they saw. You just don't get the visual confirmation of the "likes".
Isn't there extensions you can add to phpBB to add a "Like" feature?

If not, someone could always start their build threads as a Poll with like & dislike votes as the options.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I honestly do not know. That would be a question for Bill.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Ahh yes another forum limitation, on Facebook when you say "bill" he will know people are talking about him. There is a lot of technology to like with Facebook, unfortunately it comes with the morons posts and severe invasion of privacy Facebook is known for. Ugh
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Phin wrote:
scr8p wrote:...
But I think a lot of it goes to what Richie mentioned. For instance, I can post a picture of a car I'm building on there and get 80 likes. I can post that same pic on here and get 2 comments. Sure, it makes you feel good to get all of those likes. But after all of the likes that pic got, only 4-5 people actually took the time to comment on it. So really, how is it any different than the pic here on the forum? If 100 people look at the pic on here, I'd be willing to bet that at least half of them probably liked what they saw. You just don't get the visual confirmation of the "likes".
Isn't there extensions you can add to phpBB to add a "Like" feature?

If not, someone could always start their build threads as a Poll with like & dislike votes as the options.
We don't need a Like/Dislike feature with build threads as any system like that is open to abuse. The worst issue is people "like-trading". CarDomain is terrible for that. Everybody "Likes" just to get a "Like" in return. It invalidates the whole thing and makes it pointless.

A build thread that generates a high number of views & comments relative to others is already a "Like" system that exists. Whether the subject material is mainstream or unorthodox, the thread popularity is already functioning like a "Like" system.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I agree. Not that I'm any kind of voice, but I wouldn't be a real big fan of that. And I'm not just saying that because no one likes me... :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Coelacanth wrote: A build thread that generates a high number of views & comments relative to others is already a "Like" system that exists. Whether the subject material is mainstream or unorthodox, the thread popularity is already functioning like a "Like" system.
True statement

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I wasn't saying we would try and do it. Just saying I'm not the guy to ask.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

scr8p wrote:(if you don't know what you are talking about, for the love of god, keep your friggin' mouth shut :roll: ), and just the constant BS that goes on in 95% of every topic....
but that pan car is a bolink.... :mrgreen:
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:I agree. Not that I'm any kind of voice, but I wouldn't be a real big fan of that. And I'm not just saying that because no one likes me... :lol:
I like you Ken...you sent me cables for my supernintendo 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Coelacanth wrote:....
We don't need a Like/Dislike feature with build threads as any system like that is open to abuse. The worst issue is people "like-trading". CarDomain is terrible for that. Everybody "Likes" just to get a "Like" in return. It invalidates the whole thing and makes it pointless.
Offering kindness to others to receive kindness in return is abuse? If a Like button is invalid because it's only used to gain a reciprocal response than so is making a post that says "Nice job", "Cool car", :mrgreen: or "+1".

I don't have a FB account, and, no matter how many A-Main Bullets show up for sale there, I won't ever start one...but since reading some of the discussion on it in this thread I can see some benefit to a Like button system. It's certainly more efficient than posting a simple kind word comment.

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

One thing I don't get about fb is when someone asks a question it's usually answered correctly by the first couple of people and the next ten or so people that aren't really sure don't read any answers given previously and continue to post their thoughts. Our club went to fb page to make notifications instead of mass email that no one reads, so I was forced to finally join fb around Xmas time. I have to say with a modern phone it's easy to get sucked in with continuous posts by companies or whatever you like being displayed. I do however agree that if you want information you can trust it's not always the place to be and I have tried helping some folks out but after the third time telling them to read some manuals and check out rc10talk you kinda get sick of constant laziness of some people. It's like they expect someone else to do the work for them. Yeah the clod bolink thing is quite funny :lol: . The I did this and ate this posts are absolutely tragic though :roll:

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

bully wrote:I have to say with a modern phone it's easy to get sucked in with continuous posts by companies or whatever you like being displayed.
That's something I am avoiding like the plague, having Bookface on my phone. I can do the FB thing on my PC, but when I'm away from it, I let it go. I have the same thing with e-mail - if you need/want to talk to me urgently, call me and I'll do my best to answer ( :oops: )... but if you send me a PM, wink, e-mail, SMS, or tweet, I'll answer it in my own time.

Well, maybe not the tweet thing, I don't do Twitter....

Alex
Osiris is the key.