Groups

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

j-sou
Approved Member

Groups

Post by j-sou »

Is it just me, or is there a mass movement of online r/c activity moving from forums to FB groups? I feel like recently forum activity has dropped, while FB groups have been flooded with this painfully horrible flow of r/c bs. Every time I view a group page I feel like it should be re-titled "what is this I just bought at a swap meet and what is it worth because it's going to be on ebay next week". And legit posts quickly get buried by the BS.... It's a mess. I can't tolerate it. Granted we do not want to be the "antiques road show" of r/c here, but I feel like general activity has dropped.
So why does it seem everyone is flooding FB instead of coming to a welcoming, informative community forum like this where everything is better organized, archived, discussed, etc??

Is it just me?? Does anyone else notice this??

Looking around at the "vintage" r/c stuff there really makes me appreciate this place and all of you guys who have made this forum and its massive amount of info possible! In the relatively short amount of time I have been a member here, I have learned an incredible amount. I'll be here, and any important info I have to share will be too.
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Groups

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I hope it doesn't all go to fb, but I could see it happening. It seems to have taken over the world. That would suck for me in particular as I have far too many skeletons to do fb... :? It feeds the naturally narcissistic personality of so many people that I can see why it has become so popular. Please don't take that as a slam to people who do fb. It's simply my own personal theory on why it's so popular and perhaps I'm just jealous that I'm not a part of that community. It's also a wonderful communication tool and perhaps the closest thing to mass telepathy available in our society that so desperately seeks closer and more up to date information all the time. Not sure I answered your question though... :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

its not just you. Activity here on the board has dropped. It does go through cycles like this though so nothing out of the ordinary. I don't think its so much to do with all the 'group thing' but more of a 'that time of year thing'. Could be wrong. I see a lot of our members here active in groups and not so much around here as of late but think its just a change of scenery for them. Agree whole heartedly with you though about the 'group' BS stuff. Unless it gets like a thousand comments the good threads get quickly buried. There are quite a few good people active there but the morons outnumber them like 599 to 1 so its hard to get anything useful from there. The info has to be 'found' amongst the "what is this I just bought at a swap meet and what is it worth because it's going to be on ebay next week" posts.

That being one of the major contributors to people going there and not here is that "what is this I just bought at a swap meet and what is it worth because it's going to be on ebay next week" thing is allowed there. But just like here, those people will fade away once they unload their wares or just realize that they can't sell their crap for five percent under retail like the trend of a lot of those sellers think they can do there.

A personal opinion is just pure laziness also. Once you get 'here' there is a tendency to get addicted. Once you get 'there' you can just ask your questions without having to do any actual work since there really isn't any structure.

The FB groups aren't really my thing but I do find some interesting stuff sometimes. Either way though, you guys are stuck with me here wether you like it or not :lol:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Yeah when was the last time I scored a AGI Jammer on here for $50? Never! Haha

They serve their purpose, but I always end up linking people to here anyway :mrgreen:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

GoMachV wrote:Yeah when was the last time I scored a AGI Jammer on here for $50? Never!
:shock: :mrgreen: I threw one in the trash many many years ago. One of my biggest r/c related regrets. :cry:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

The feedback groups are entertaining to read. Who bought this and never got it. Who traded who and received a box of rocks. Anything on this guy who ripped me off and on and on and on. Makes my head spin. I still visit here everyday, still love it and that will never change.
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

j-sou wrote: So why does it seem everyone is flooding FB instead of coming to a welcoming, informative community forum like this where everything is better organized, archived, discussed, etc??

Is it just me?? Does anyone else notice this??
Great post!
I also don't get it.
I hear it's easier to post pics, whatever..............................
Keep it here and keep it archived - F*** Facebook

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

FFB. I refuse. It's a suckhole of swirling garbage. I would rather spike my face off a blender blade spinning at "puree".
Hope you're doin' something fun.

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

TRX-1-3 wrote:It's a suckhole of swirling garbage.
:lol: had to explain to the wife why I was laughing out loud! That pretty much sums it up perfectly.
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

Great thread!

I was thinking the same thing, recently joined all of the FB groups and as there is loads of activity. I didn't get on with it as it feels like its all too much, and to be honest its kinda putting me of vintage RC now, just getting tired of it as its everywhere.

Its great for the hobby, and cool loads of people are getting back into it, but i still feel like its losing a bit of something, cant put my finger on what tho.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

People do Bookface because it's free to them, and they can be dicks without too many rules.... whereas communities like here on 10Talk have more regimented policies and ideas, so you can't just act like an asshat all the time (unless you have no thumbs :lol: ).

Conversely, you can have pictures of farmer in his underwear here, without someone complaining "won't someone please think of the children".... not that I condone such posts.....

My point? Um..... I don't remember.... better get another brewski.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

One thing I have learned from the facebook groups is that every pan car ever made was manufactured by Bolink.

:mrgreen:

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

scr8p wrote:One thing I have learned from the facebook groups is that every pan car ever made was manufactured by Bolink.

:mrgreen:
Amen hallelujah
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

scr8p wrote:One thing I have learned from the facebook groups is that every pan car ever made was manufactured by Bolink and was worth $500.
Fixed it for you.... :wink:
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I think their popularity has a lot to do with the fact that it's something new. The novelty will wear off when people realize that the Facebook structure is not conducive to message boards. Good posts get dropped way down and the page is endlessly filled with drivel.

One other item I find interesting is amount of trolling and BS on Facebook. One would think that unlike hiding behind a pseudonym on a message board, it's your personal Facebook profile is out there for every one to see and that people would be a little nicer but that's just not the case.