Ten4: the 4WD RC10 project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Re: Ten4: the 4WD RC10 project

Post by pumpkinfish »

Has anyone ordered from Shapeways and received two left steering blocks? I ordered one left and one right and received two rights! Now this project will be delayed further.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I have no idea how this is still happening with shapeways but with the nix kits they were getting parts mixed up all the time. They are quick to fix it tho, shoot them a message asap
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Pumpkinfish,

Shapeways stuffed up my order as well.

1 part missing even though the parts bags are numbered 1 of 10, 2 of 10 etc.

It is really starting to make me angry!

It has taken days to investigate the problem, days to reprint the missing item and will take at least another week

for freight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2akt3P8ltLM

Luckily I had the sense to reorder the missing part immediately I found it missing.

It case you are wondering I have spent most of my working life in spare parts and warehousing.

The last job as a Commercial Laundry equipment parts supplier, I made 1 mistake in 2 years, and still remember it clearly!

Shapeways clearly have a problem that needs addressing.

Now they want me to leave feedback, are they crazy?

Cheers, Dave. :)

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Even more interesting is that it's completely different factories in this case at least
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

I emailed them and they wanted a picture of both parts together and a picture of the barcodes. Email was sent immediately and now I'm waiting. I'm tempted to buy two lefts so I have spares ;-)

To change subjects, do we need to shim the outdrive and idler in the front gear box? Both have a 0.05" amount of play. I need to order the B44 diff shim kit to get the outdrive shims.

Also, for short wheelbase cars (my graphite chassis for example), does anyone know how far back I need to drill the steering mount screws?

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi Pumpkinfish,

I didn't shim the top shaft or diff, you need have a small amount of free play to allow for heat expansion of the metal parts.

You could use a buggy nose plate, bolt it on the bottom of your graphite chassis as a drill guide for the other 2 holes.

Cheers, Dave. :)

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

limestang wrote:I made some good progress assembling the Ten4 Project. My compliments to Brian and Jeff on all of the great work and long hours making this possible.

I am on the waiting list for the nose tubes and hardware from Brian. I don't seem to be getting a great deal of turning radius.
1) Carrier hits arm, if suspension arms angled down.
2) Bell crank hits trans housing.

I probably assembled wrong, or ordered incorrect bell crank for this configuration. I ran out of time this weekend to debug. Let me know if you see something obvious.

Thanks, Mark

Looks great Mark! Sorry for the delay in my response, I've been off the grid from Sunday to last night.

You have the caster blocks reversed, switch them from left to right. And as Jeff said, the "nuts" on the bell crank nuts face up. Those two things should get it all sorted out.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

RC104ever wrote:Would it be asking too much if someone could list ALL the parts needed and where to get them? I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the parts needed - there are OEM parts (1st page), Robinson Racing and the Shapeways / CPD parts.

If we could have them all listed somewhere on one page (maybe 1st page or the CPD listing in the Buy / Sell) that would be amazing. And it may help you move more parts! I just want to know how much this little endeavour could cost me.

Thanks in advance guys.

Ask and you shall receive
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=39021

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

n20capri wrote:Will you be offering the steering parts and tensioner pieces sprued together like shown in previous iterations as well as separate?

I'll try to do so.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

mk-Zero wrote:
RC104ever wrote:Would it be asking too much if someone could list ALL the parts needed and where to get them? I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the parts needed - there are OEM parts (1st page), Robinson Racing and the Shapeways / CPD parts.

If we could have them all listed somewhere on one page (maybe 1st page or the CPD listing in the Buy / Sell) that would be amazing. And it may help you move more parts! I just want to know how much this little endeavour could cost me.

Thanks in advance guys.

Ask and you shall receive
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=39021
Thank you very much! 8)
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »

The remaining parts are on the way to me from mk-zero :mrgreen: Should be here by the end of the week.
I already have bought all of the other parts, everything from the ball bearings to the wheels and tires. I have prepped the rear gear box, built the front diff, got hold of a black, uncut nose plate, and the towers from gomachv are ready.

This is going to be fun 8)

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

I must add pics! My transmission is in place, only waiting on shocks and front CVD's now!

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »

I finally had time to sit down and begin converting my re-re worlds to Ten4 :mrgreen:

Just a couple of questions that have come up:

I have drilled out the hole in the stealth, so that the flange of the inner part of the pulley now goes in to the gearbox. Do I need to do that with the shapeways front gear box too, or am I doing something wrong (see pic)?
image1 (2).JPG
The large ball bearings in mk-zeros "hardware kit", what are they for?

And finally, what size of screws do I need to assemble the front gear box. As I have said before, I'm totally lost when the sizes are other than metrics, and I have found it easier to ask, that to try finding the right size myself :oops:

Excellent work guys, thank you for your hard efforts!

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

TomEG wrote:I finally had time to sit down and begin converting my re-re worlds to Ten4 :mrgreen:

Just a couple of questions that have come up:

I have drilled out the hole in the stealth, so that the flange of the inner part of the pulley now goes in to the gearbox. Do I need to do that with the shapeways front gear box too, or am I doing something wrong (see pic)?
image1 (2).JPG
The large ball bearings in mk-zeros "hardware kit", what are they for?

And finally, what size of screws do I need to assemble the front gear box. As I have said before, I'm totally lost when the sizes are other than metrics, and I have found it easier to ask, that to try finding the right size myself :oops:

Excellent work guys, thank you for your hard efforts!
Hi Tom,

Glad you have found time to start building your Ten4.
ON the front gear box, yes, drill it out as you did the rear so that the boss on the pulley can slip inside and ride against the bearing.

The large, flanged bearings in the kit are the front tensioner rollers. Install them on the front tensioner shaft with the flanges facing away from each other. The belt rides on the bearings, between the flanges.

The front gear box uses #4-40 x 1" screws. The heads of the screws go on the right side of the car, and you shouldn't need to use nuts.

TomEG
Approved Member

Post by TomEG »