Ten4: the 4WD RC10 project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

Re: Ten4: the 4WD RC10 project

Post by GoMachV »

Unfortunately there are no buggies with that much kickup, or else with creative drilling sanding and filing we could make b44 parts fit. That's the basic design here just with proper angles and offsets
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

GoMachV wrote:Unfortunately there are no buggies with that much kickup, or else with creative drilling sanding and filing we could make b44 parts fit. That's the basic design here just with proper angles and offsets
Or machine your design from Delrin or Aluminum! :)

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

aip47-2008 wrote:
GoMachV wrote:Unfortunately there are no buggies with that much kickup, or else with creative drilling sanding and filing we could make b44 parts fit. That's the basic design here just with proper angles and offsets
Or machine your design from Delrin or Aluminum! :)
Machining them would be $$$$

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Maybe a new nose plate makes sense.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

nope, been there done that! The whole goal here is to keep with the MIP theme of a stock appearing RC10. Im sure Brians newest revisions will be fine, and if not we can explore more options, but if we were to go machined delrin or other materials I would not stick with the B44 styling. My vote would be to replicate closer to the MIP look in stronger materials. The parts would be smaller and easier to machine, plus retain even more of the look we want. I dont think this will need to come to fruition tho, as im sure the printed parts will be just fine
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I would just like to hear that the USA shapeways production have gotten their act together. That's pretty frustrating.

BTW, delrin is OK for arms, but you are better off with nylon for any hubs, spindles, etc. Better notch sensitivity performance. Just a fun fact, not related to the additive machining on this project.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Just going to post this pic over to the thread for inspiration :D

Invision many of these as you strive for perfection, it will be worth it. I just figured you need more than just one Ten4 to look at Brian :wink:

I can't wait to get all of my hardware to match and many other things to do as well, but that's one thing I can address for now. I hope to have my RR stuff waiting for me when I arrive home, so I can deal with that next too.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

good to know! Hopefully it wont come to that tho. It would be great to know that we werent fighting QC issues at Shapeways as it has been a problem in the past.

thanks for making ours look like dog poo Anthony :wink: :lol: That thing is SICK!!!!
Factory Works website

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Any day Jeff :lol: Anybody can throw on some flashy wheels though.

Gonna look even more sick once I get that battery tray :shock:

I'm just going to post a warning **WARNING: MUST CONSUME PEPTO BISMOL BEFORE VIEWING THREAD** before posting my final pics.

TOLITS
Approved Member

Post by TOLITS »

Why blame SHAPEWAYS, their production process from powdered material form that fused together to form a 3D parts is still way below par from the quality of injected molded material process.
It's just that they're not designed for certain stress the way we use and abuse to them on our hobby applications.
Even the molded materials (nylon, delrin, kevlar, other composites) still breaks too in that areas but it takes a-lot of use and abuse before it fails.
I apologize if I sound rude but they're (shapeways) only good on a very less-stressfull parts/areas of the R/C cars. :(

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

shapeways USA has had problems with material, where the European shapeways has not. Thats the only reason we are talking about wishing we knew if the problems were fixed within shapeways or not. We know printed parts are not as durable as IM, but taking the NIX91 sets as examples, we saw far more broken USA printed parts than European.
Factory Works website

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

GoMachV wrote:shapeways USA has had problems with material, where the European shapeways has not. Thats the only reason we are talking about wishing we knew if the problems were fixed within shapeways or not. We know printed parts are not as durable as IM, but taking the NIX91 sets as examples, we saw far more broken USA printed parts than European.

This is true, Rod and I had put the NIX parts through rigorous testing and the European parts seemed to hold up much better.

Our test results here http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=38227

:shock:

Burgie

Post by Burgie »

How close is this project to production now?

I am so excited to get the parts to build my own 4wd RC10 it's like being a child at Christmas again!

I have my donor worlds re-release stripped and awaiting anodising in that wonderful green colour too, and I'm wondering if there are any parts available now, so that I can start the build.

Many thanks

Chris

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Burgie wrote:How close is this project to production now?

I am so excited to get the parts to build my own 4wd RC10 it's like being a child at Christmas again!

I have my donor worlds re-release stripped and awaiting anodising in that wonderful green colour too, and I'm wondering if there are any parts available now, so that I can start the build.

Many thanks

Chris
Getting very close... hopefully this iteration of the caster blocks (see next post) will do the trick. I'll have the car on thd track with them in a couple weeks and we'll see.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

I decided to print a pair of the updated caster blocks myself, just to see what they looked like. In the two pics below you can see the new ones next to a broken one of the previous iteration. I think it's plain to see just how much more massive the updated ones are... hopefully it will do the trick.

I'm going to be out of the country for about a week and a half for work and when i get back the updated parts should have arrived, so they will get track tested then.