cadillac rc10 upgrade

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stoggie388

cadillac rc10 upgrade

Post by stoggie388 »

okay so i have just got my 2nd rc10 buggy . this one is an old one its an A stamp and has a few of the older parts from the early models but i think its a Cadillac . maybe some one can tell me exactly what it is. i want to have fun with this classic car looking not to spend more than 120 on replacement parts . so one question i had . i charged the battery for 4 hours to give her a run. well it ran but it was super slow also the battery died in 5 minutes . i cant tell if thats a gearing ratio for the motor or if its the battery. also i am looking for street/dirt tires not the giant vintage nubies .
Attachments
so this is the car .  i plan on racing and bashing this guy .
so this is the car . i plan on racing and bashing this guy .
so my first question is  what should i do for a sharper turn  . the turning on this is extremely week  and i would like to make tight turns.   i was thinking the J concepts but i dont know if thats all i would need
so my first question is what should i do for a sharper turn . the turning on this is extremely week and i would like to make tight turns. i was thinking the J concepts but i dont know if thats all i would need
next question this esc i need to replace this guy   it has no reverse and for obvious reasons  i need to find one that A: is brush-less and water proof or depending on the response to my later questions  one that B: would be good for  speed and a little torque
next question this esc i need to replace this guy it has no reverse and for obvious reasons i need to find one that A: is brush-less and water proof or depending on the response to my later questions one that B: would be good for speed and a little torque
the next two pics are of the transmission and big gear  this is one of the things i would like to know   should i get the stealth  or is the 6 gear  good to role for a while ?     also  the big gear makes me think its an older model than a Cadillac because of the bearings imbedded in the cog.
the next two pics are of the transmission and big gear this is one of the things i would like to know should i get the stealth or is the 6 gear good to role for a while ? also the big gear makes me think its an older model than a Cadillac because of the bearings imbedded in the cog.
20150120_211041.jpg
i charged the battery with the charger below it.  will this charger be sufficient for the battery  or  is the battery toast?   next   if i go lipo  batt    what would be comparable  and or give me the fastest longest run time ?
i charged the battery with the charger below it. will this charger be sufficient for the battery or is the battery toast? next if i go lipo batt what would be comparable and or give me the fastest longest run time ?
20150120_211205.jpg
these two pics  have me confused as well   these are stock shock towers  but  there is only one hole drilled in them    i was under the impression  there should be more holes in them ?
these two pics have me confused as well these are stock shock towers but there is only one hole drilled in them i was under the impression there should be more holes in them ?
20150120_211118.jpg
next  this motor came with the car when i got it .   will this motor be good for this build im looking at  ? or  should i go brush-less   in that cast  what  would be a great brush-less motor and pinion   to  work  for  what i want to do ?
next this motor came with the car when i got it . will this motor be good for this build im looking at ? or should i go brush-less in that cast what would be a great brush-less motor and pinion to work for what i want to do ?

DaveM
Approved Member

Re: cadillac rc10 upgrade

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

So many questions, I will try to help.

First read the RC tech section, all the answers on new brushless systems and batteries and chargers

will be here in this section,

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=24904

Dave. :)

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

Pic 1, Looks like a great start.

Pic 2, Put small cable ties around the steering on the left, the one with the big nut to stop it

expanding or you can convert to Worlds Steering.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDWHZ&P=7

Pic 3, Vintage Electronics will usually be o.k but a new brushless system will be a lot less

maintenance.

Pic 4 & 5, A 6 Gear will be fine for a while, do you have a manual :?: It would pay to give it a

freshen up.

Pic 6, Batteries don't last forever, it's probably toast.

Pic 7, Poor quality charger, research the link I gave you and invest in a better one.

Pic 8 & 9, Early towers less adjustment.

stoggie388

Post by stoggie388 »

thanks for the reply. what did you mean by cable ties on the left ? i am probly going to upgrade them to the worlds car steering. ill check out the forums post about that stuff i have been reading alot into this and get alot of mixed crud about it. so i figured just ask experienced ppl . i have taken the 6 gear transmission apart and greased everything up with black grease i had in the shed things are pretty smooth . . i did attempt to clean all the white parts with soap water but i just read about the hydroxide cleaning so i wil be doing that . any recommendations on a good ecs this one has no reverse so i would love to have that feature

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

Hold the front wheels, try to move the servo arm, the part on the left is a built in servo saver it

will expand, that is the place to put the cable ties, one in front of the nut and one behind.

Worlds steering is better :!:

When I get a buggy I strip it out to a bare chassis and start from there, use your manual if you

have one or here is a link for a manual.

Rebuild it using the manual :!:

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/RC10/Team/rc10_manual.pdf

Keep reading the Tech section all the answers to brushless systems, batteries and chargers are

there.

Cheers, Dave.

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

I just found this one, seems a lot of people recommend this for a cheaper setup,

http://www.nitrorcx.com/07e-combo-js5.html?gclid=CKCEg8jZ4cACFaVZ7AodfikAVA

stoggie388

Post by stoggie388 »

that looks great with the right gearing i could get this car to go pretty fast right ?

DaveM
Approved Member

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

They have sold 118 of them so they must be o.k.

I really can't comment on value, hopefully some else might comment later.

Yes it should be reasonably fast with the correct gearing.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That's a pretty average price, but I think a 9T/60A ESC combo is a lot of power for a vintage RC10. If it were me, I'd probably go no lower than 13.5T. The 17.5T Dave suggested is a reasonable choice. The XERUN systems are sensored, hence they're more expensive, but their sensorless EZRUN systems work very well on a budget.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

bully
Approved Member

Post by bully »

Pick up a cpl of batteries and a suitable charger first mate,you will then see what amount of coin you have left.. I would get a better servo/radio and the worlds steering next then worry about the esc motor combo.. Just remember brushed motors don't like to be run for a full modern battery

broodenburg
Approved Member

Post by broodenburg »

and check if your car has bearings. you will need those if you go brushless.

stoggie388

Post by stoggie388 »

thanks for the reply guys :) i got the whole kit set up now .. 4370kc brush less . 5500mah 2 cell lipo . charger is on the way . new esc . skyfly radio . worlds steering , ( problem was not what i thought , but turned out i just needed to get a new servo arm) car runs like a charm i have a body in the mail as well.... one problem persists. where can i get a metal spur for this car .... mine melted after 3 minutes it no longer works. 55 tooth preferably. is it possible to get one that wont rub between two plates ? and i was asked if the car had bearings. where and no not at all . why do i need them and how do i apply them lol :)

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Howdy,

Sounds like you roasted the differential. It may have been set too loose or just overpowered. In any case, it was slipping too much. Without correcting that, a metal spur gear would allow the heat to travel further into the transmission, melting different parts.

If you snoop around the site, you should be able to get squared away on ball differential basics and adjustment.

Maybe this will help: it's a link to a page where you can download a manual for the RC10 Classic, it should be similar enough to what you have:

http://www.teamassociated.com/manuals/RC10_Classic/

Mark
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

stoggie388 wrote:thanks for the reply guys :) i got the whole kit set up now .. 4370kc brush less . 5500mah 2 cell lipo . one problem persists. where can i get a metal spur for this car .... mine melted after 3 minutes it no longer works. 55 tooth preferably.
You put nearly 37,000 RPM through that transmission (4370 kV * 8.4V); I'm not surprised you fried the spur gear...good thing you didn't cause more damage. As I said previously, I wouldn't have gone lower than 13.5T (in the neighborhood of 3000 kV) to be on the safe side. :wink:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3