3 truck project - 10T 7001, 10T WOIN and T2 WOIN

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

3 truck project - 10T 7001, 10T WOIN and T2 WOIN

Post by Jim85IROC »

[Long story warning]

Lately I've developed (re-developed) a bit of a stadium truck fetish. My buddy and I had a pair of stadium trucks briefly when we were in college. I had a Losi LXT that I bought used with my high school graduation money, and not long after he bought a real nice graphite T3. I only kept mine a couple years and wound up selling it back to the person I bought it from, but he held on to his. Last year we got together and he pulled it out to show me how much more powerful it was with these new LiPo batteries, and I was blown away. I was addicted, and had to get something. I bought a used 4x4 Stampede for my son (4 yrs old at the time) and I to use. After he learned how to control it, I bought him a truck of his own. I wound up getting a 1st gen ECX Circuit, and that pretty much rekindled my stadium truck interests. Not long after, my dad wanted his own, so I got him a Ruckus, and the 3 of us play every weekend. Lately my dad and I have started setting up a course and racing, and I wanted 2 similar vehicles, so I bought and built a Durango DEST210R, and got a couple identical ESCs and 17.5 turn motors so we can set up the Circuit and the Durango to be competitive.

After I built the Durango, I started wanting to do another kit, and started looking at the new Scorpion kit, which somehow led to me seeing the RC10 re-re and a lot of commentary about how that chassis is modern enough to still be a good, competitive car, unlike the Scorpion. That landed me at this site, which quickly turned my focus back to the stadium trucks. I quickly developed a bit of a fetish for the T2, and started stalking them on Ebay. In the meantime, I also started liking the 10T, and wound up overpaying for a basket case 7001 on Ebay. I've decided to restore this one back to stock, since it's an original 7001, and included the box and manuals. One big thing that I was unaware of at the time, was how expensive Stealth transmissions are, so the fact that this one was missing was a big oversight on my part. Between that and my oversight on the chassis holes, I can't really say I wound up getting a good deal on this, but at least I have something to start with.

Shortly after, I saw the 2nd 10T on ebay, and saw that it had a transmission, a solid chassis, and some neat upgrade parts too, like the RPM suspension arms, so I figured this would be a good companion truck. I can steal the stealth trans from it, and then retro a newer trans into this one. I had hoped to steal the chassis from it too, but since it's not a "B" stamp, I may just keep it with this truck. It would be a shame to re-anodize (or powdercoat) an original blue chassis black anyway.

Right after I bought the 2nd 10T, wouldn't you know it that a real nice T2 showed up. I couldn't resist, since this is what I wanted all along anyway, and bought that too, so now I've got 3 of these foolish things to do! Looks like this should keep me well occupied over the winter.

[/Long Story Warning]

So... on with the pics.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice that some of the chassis holes were drilled out larger than the original size, but this chassis should clean up good enough to suffice until I can find another one.

The front and rear bulkheads look pretty good overall, and the shocks look great. I think all of these will clean up real nice:

The one non-stock part that it came with is these aluminum bell cranks. Anybody know what kind they are? I'll wind up putting these on my WOIN 10T:

The box and manual are both torn, but I think it's neat that they're both still somewhat presentable:

The body is in pretty good shape, though I'm not overly impressed with the quality of the paint job:

For now I'm going to rob some of the necessary parts from the other trucks (wheels, tires, antenna mount, stealth trans & trans brace, etc), get the remaining missing parts, and put it together. I'll stick with period correct electronics, and get a new body for it. Then over time, I'll replace some of the non correct parts, and get better parts to replace those that aren't in perfect shape.

On to the 2nd 10T, which is going to be a WOIN build:

This truck came with a decently painted body, but it's got some holes in the back, plus it doesn't even seem to fit this truck, so I'm not sure what it was originally used on:

this truck came with an original blue chassis, Futaba servo, some receiver and some decent (but very, very hard) tires. Lots of glue on the wheels and tires too.

The front bumper is broken, and unfortunately, one of the nose brace tubes is missing, so I still don't have a good set to use on the 7001 truck

Nice Stealth trans and trans brace to use on the 7001 (until I get a correct trans brace). Rear RPM arms are in nice shape:

Chassis is real nice underneath except at the back. There's a clear chassis protector covering most of it. Front RPM arms are in good shape:

For this truck, I'll go with modern brushless power, maybe some carbon fiber, new wheels & tires, and who knows what else.

And finally, on to my favorite, the T2. This truck is super clean, and I'm very excited to upgrade it.

I'm going to move this battery tray over to the 7001 until I can find a nicer one:

The underside is virtually perfect. I don't think this truck ever saw dirt:

Everything is in nice shape, including the Proline Edge tires:

Carbon fiber front shock tower, and an upper plate that makes the shocks stand more vertical. I've never seen one of these before, and that surprises me, because everything I've read seems to indicate that the more vertical you can get your shocks, the better they work. I'm not sure if I'll keep this or not, but that'll be determined on by how good the truck handles, and whether I can fit a body over it:

Transmission is clean, as are the axles, and turnbuckles, and pretty much everything else on the truck:

RPM slipper cover, though to be honest, I really don't like the blue. Not sure what I'll do with this yet:

The one bummer with this truck is that it didn't include the rear motor plate, and unfortunately, those seem to be kind of expensive.

Plans for this truck include a carbon fiber rear shock tower, carbon fiber trans brace, a new T2 body, new wheels, and who knows what else.

So I guess thiis means I'm officially addicted? :lol:

Phin
Approved Member

Re: 3 truck project - 10T 7001, 10T WOIN and T2 WOIN

Post by Phin »

The plate on the T2's front tower is a rear oval tower to use shorter shocks on an RC10.

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

I've had a few minutes to work on the truck over the last week or so. Actually, one night last week our power went out, so I sat in the living room with a headlight and a flashlight to take it apart and take pics. I completely disassembled the front and rear assemblies and started to clean them. I also ordered a UV fingernail polish hardener lamp for my wife for Christmas so that I can use it to put the white parts into an H2O2 bath before I give it to her. :mrgreen:

Anyway, here are a few pics of the front end before I took it apart. You can see that it's very dirty, but for the most part it's in good shape. I managed to break one of the turnbuckles when I was taking it apart. The truck is a hodge-podge of turnbuckles, endlinks and ball studs, but the other 10T I have seems to be much more original so I'm going to probably steal a lot of the parts from that one. I'll also compare the parts and take the nicer ones for this truck, since the other one will be a runner.

I also realized that these look like RC10 steering parts, not 10T parts, so I'll probably swap them over to my T2 after I clean them up:

Shocks were filthy, but in pretty good shape overall. One of the lower eyelits is stripped where the shock shaft screws in, so I'll have to get another one:

More dirt:

hugger19
Approved Member

Post by hugger19 »

dont use those front tires on that blue chassis they are rare and very hard to come by. save em or sell.

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

I'm planning to use those tires on my 7001 build, which will just be a shelfer. Unfortunately, there's a hole in one of the tires, but it's in a spot on the tread where it's not too noticeable.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Nice trucks! I've got a bit of a stadium truck fetish now too. A long time ago I thought they were 'stupid' and not worth my time. Until I got a T4 in a trade for another RC I had (don't even remember what it was). The T4 has proven to be extremely reliable and tough as nails. So I bought a 10T and it was all original and perfectly clean. Then I bought rc10johnny's blue 10T and it was gorgeous. So good in fact I couldn't bear to run it. So I bought his other one that's already a runner! :lol:

I've started hoarding a nice stash of parts too. Can't wait to get the 10T runner and get it out in the snow soon :)
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

shoman24v
Approved Member

Post by shoman24v »

I've been running my T2 a lot lately, it's really a stout performer. It's easier to find parts for the RC10T than the T2 though.

Get a stash of parts going for the trucks, in case you break something.
| XXT | XXT 'CR' Graphite Plus | RC10T | RC10T2 | RC10 World's Re-release | HPI Blitz ESE | Schumacher SV2 |

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

Today I cleaned up all of the plastic parts on the 7001. I'm impressed at how well they cleaned up, and how flexible the plastic still is. They've also discolored very little considering their age. I'm almost tempted to use them as-is instead of giving them the peroxide bath, but I think I'll do that anyway.

Here are the front end parts:

Rear end parts:

Now I've got to start trying to track down the correct ball cups and correct turnbuckles. The ones on this truck were a hodge-podge, and none of them were in great shape.

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

Today I compared the color of these parts to some of the new stuff that I bought, and to be honest, it's only slightly darker, but in the name of science, I decided to give them a peroxide bath anyway. A few weeks ago I was looking for the cheapest way to set up a UV light, and the cheapest thing I found was actually a lamp designed for women to put their hands into after applying some sort of UV-reactive nail polish. It uses 3 9 watt lamps, so the total power is 36w. So, I used this to my advantage and got my wife one for Christmas. :D

Anyway, I put the parts into a stainless bowl in order to maximize the light reflection:

Here's the hand lamp on top of it, with the floor plate of the lamp removed:

And just so that I don't bleach everything around me with the UV light, I decided to wrap it in foil:

So far I'm just a little over 4 hours into this experiment, and I'm not overly impressed. After 4 hours, I can't see any visible difference at all. I'll check on them again before I go to bed, and if necessary, I'll let it go overnight and check it in the morning. If that doesn't work, I'll have to rethink my plans.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

is that a UV-B setup? Without the B spectrum, it wont do a thing for ya. UV-B is more of a reptile lamp from what I have seen
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

The problem is that neither type has a lot of output at the right frequency. Apparently you need 300-350nm wavelength light for this process. This style light drops off sharp below 370, but the reptile lights only go up to about 250nm from what I can see. Others seemed to report sucess with black lights, so I'm trying it.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Ok cool so you got it under control then 8) just wanted to make sure you were on the right track. Let us know how it goes
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

I'm not sure that I am, but I'll be sure to report my findings regardless.

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

I just checked on them, and after about 10 1/2 hours, they lightened up noticeably, and now look like a good match for the new plastic parts that I bought. More importantly, it seems that the couple parts that had an uneven appearance before are now more uniform.

Mission accomplished. Now I need to yank a couple parts off of my blue truck and soak them until they match.

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

Last night I pulled the stealth trans out of the blue 10T, and also made a discovery that I overlooked before.

First, the trans, which was covered in clay dirt. Unfortunately, this motor plate isn't as good of shape as I'd hoped, so I'm going to have to source another one for my 7001 build.

Things look pretty good inside, although a lot of the grease hardened and dried to the inside of the case. This truck had a full ball bearing trans, including the slipper drive bearing. All of the bearings are shot, as is the ball diff.

Trans case is all cleaned up. One thing that I noticed is that the plastic on this truck is considerably more yellowed than on my other 10T, so this will be a good test for the fingernail UV lamp. The pics really don't show how yellow this case is, so I'll snap a pic without the flash next to some of my other 10T parts.

Now, on to my surprise... when I looked the chassis over quickly before, I never saw a "B" stamp, so I assumed that this truck was newer. I looked the truck over more closely last night, and I discovered that this is indeed a B stamp chassis... the powdercoat just filled in most of the stamp. I turned it over, and sure enough, it's got the offset battery tray that I never noticed before. That means that this may be a good candidate chassis for my 7001 build, provided I can strip the powdercoat off without ruining the B stamp.

Between the offset b-stamp chassis, the full ball bearing trans, and the fact that this truck came with Pro 55 front tires, although it came with 7820 rear tires, so who knows.