Rude behavior on the track-solution?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Rude behavior on the track-solution?

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

I'm sure we've all experienced it, but every once in awhile, it goes to an extreme. Such was the case today, when two yahoos showed up, intoxicated, and just had a blatant disregard for both the clock and every other driver. They would completely ignore the time limits meant to allow everyone to run in reasonably sized groups for 6 minutes at a time, and they were pretty much bashing their way through everyone else with their SCTs. Obviously, 1/10 buggies don't fair well in that fight. There's only one employee on Sundays, so he really can't abandon the front to deal with this kind of thing. I got a little fed up after watching this for an hour, so threw my 4S-powered 8-1/2 pound SCT-converted 1/8 scale on the track for a little session of bumper cars. Figured if that's the game they wanted to play, they could be on the other end, having their cars knocked around.

It seemed to work, and they did leave before I put that truck out again, but this is not the first time such characters have been present on the tracks. My SCT is a beast, but I got to thinking, I can do better that that! So, my question is, if you were one of the other drivers on the track getting essentially bullied, what would you think if someone like me decided to run the offenders off with a:

-1/10 SCT sized vehicle
-1/4" thick stainless chassis
-Stainless arms/knuckles/carriers
-Spring steel bumpers
-1/8 scale drivetrain with ~1,600KV can on 6S
-Approximate weight of 15-17 pounds

Basically a 4 wheeled battle bot. Yes, the idea is pretty much if you're gonna be a jerk out there, I'll beat you at your own game, and probably break your toy in half. I like building custom stuff anyway, and it's more fun if it has a purpose!

The thought process is basically one of a direct confrontation with these types about their behavior tends to result in a bunch of chest puffing and profanity, but there's not much they can say if their vehicle ends up crippled due to their own boorish actions and having simply run up against the wrong kit. That's just what can happen if you put tire to track, right?
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

mk-Zero
Business Member

Re: Rude behavior on the track-solution?

Post by mk-Zero »

Do it! And get videos of their cars being broken in half if you can :mrgreen:

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

ID have loved to seen that!!!! :lol: 8) DON

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

If your machining your own parts, go for it. Otherwise Id say a chassis and arms is whats needed. sub some alloy wheels in place of the carriers and knuckles and bash away.

At that weight, you probably need 1/5 scale powertrain to really move around enough to where other cars arent flying by.

and yea, I want video of the smashing. Have one of those cameras mounted to the car to see the crashes happen.

I much prefer to race my buggies now but If I have too, Id race my rustler which has been converted to 90% metal parts. If I couldnt use that, I've always got my all metal buggy.

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... You were too nice. I would of walked up to them and told them to smarten up. Then depending on how that conversation went I would of walked away with their apology or knocked them all out. But that's just me.

I once asked a guy in the movie theater to please be quiet about 4 times before getting up grabbing his ass and throwing him out of the theater and then reporting him to the manager. As I was throwing him out I got a huge round of applause from everyone in the theater. :mrgreen:
102 RC vehicles and counting...

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

If your machining your own parts, go for it.
I do. I'll have a friend of mine water jet the chassis to save on my cutters, but otherwise it'll all be done on a small vertical mill with a 2 axis vise (tilt/swivel).
HI!... You were too nice. I would of walked up to them and told them to smarten up. Then depending on how that conversation went I would of walked away with their apology or knocked them all out. But that's just me.
If I were a little younger. As in, if I didn't have 3 rugrats and a wife that depend on me staying out of jail to keep a roof over their heads. That, and I carry pretty much always; makes any confrontation a potentially lethal one, which I'd rather avoid at all costs. Not afraid to trade punches, but don't need to get myself eighty-sixed from the track or tossed in the slammer. But 1/10 scale road rage is not dangerous to flesh & blood humans, and if they decide to start a fight over broken toys, they're the ones that get kicked out.
At that weight, you probably need 1/5 scale powertrain to really move around enough to where other cars arent flying by.
I was debating, but 1/5 stuff is a bit overkill. A 58mm motor is meant to move a 30-35 lb truck. I'll just go with a lower KV 1/8 can, like a 40x92mm. The way my 10-1/2 pound truggy moves on 4S with a 42x74mm 2150KV, I don't think a 1480 KV 40x92mm can on 6S will have any trouble with a ~16 lb vehicle.

The SCT I mentioned above has an Excelorin 1,700 KV, and it's honestly over-powered for this track even on 3S. On 4S, I can clear the 4' double from a dead stop with my front tires part way up the ramp. Sure is fun, though! I didn't exactly go after these kids with it.........I just didn't maneuver evasively or slow down when they got in my way. The one's 2WD Slash rather resembled a bowling pin more than once.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

You can borrow my Savage XL Custom. Pushes 20+ pounds, but it's very quick and nimble... :twisted:

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Although I'd hate to do it--and it probably wouldn't meet any racing regulations anyway--I think Barney would hold his own versus most plas-tastic cars these days. :twisted:
Attachments
BarneyDone_SideTop.JPG
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

You can borrow my Savage XL Custom. Pushes 20+ pounds, but it's very quick and nimble...
Except the indoor track doesn't allow 1/8 scale. Otherwise, I'd just throw my bomb proofed e801Xt out there and go bowling :)

My 1/8 buggy-based SCT is more than capable of knocking around anything else on that track, but it's still affected by the impacts. Hence the desire to build a fast tank that has the looks and dimensions of a 1/10 SCT.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

On a slightly related note every once in a while we have a "No Holds Barred" race with our SCTs. Get about 10 trucks out there and don't necessarily look to break each other, but rather just throw all general racing etiquette out the window. We track laps just like a normal race and go for about 6 minutes. It's a lot of fun. Great chance to get in a cheap shot on somebody that beat you that night too. :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

^^^^^^^^^

That would be fun, though I have a feeling I'd be quickly banned by general consensus of the other drivers. Can't say I'd blame them.

A couple weeks back, we did a little heads up race when there weren't too many other drivers out there. No righting the cars; winner was to be the last guy rubber side down. 7 of us total, I was the 4th car back. I nailed it off the line, took out myself and all 3 ahead of me immediately.

I am very mindful of other drivers when I run the thing, but there are some who would simply rather not be on the track with it. lol.