Brushless/Lipo System Recommendations? (For T3)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

natob2

Brushless/Lipo System Recommendations? (For T3)

Post by natob2 »

Sixtysixduece made a recommendation on another thread to check out this combo:
HOBBYWING EZRUN 13T 3000KV RC Model Brushless Motor & WP60 60A ESC

I did some research and this seems like this EZRUN is a solid system for a T3, and my "entry level" applications. I was looking at more powerful systems but after putting an HPI ESC and HPI 15T brushed motor in my newly restored 10T, I think a 13T brushless system in my new T3 would be plenty. The 15T in the 10T is enough power that it has a hard time putting the power to the ground. (It does need a rear shock rebuild and new tires, but I still think this is plenty of power for the 10T)

I'm on the verge of purchasing this EZRun combo for my T3. Before doing so, I wanted to gather more thoughts from the community. My use will be running on the streets and in my backyard. Not competitive racing. Waterproof is a big plus. Definitely entry level, and something that would match the T3 platform. (I have a newly restored Factory Team T3)

I also would love recommendations for Lipo Batteries and a Lipo charger that would be appropriate for the system I purchase.

Thanks!

slow_jun
Approved Member

Re: Brushless/Lipo System Recommendations? (For T3)

Post by slow_jun »

HW hands down, I have tried both EZrun and xerun series ESC and I would prefer the zerun (sensored) I know its just for bashing but I have experienced cogging in low rpm in ezrun series esc. If you are ok with a little cogging then hit the trigger.... its value and adjustability is second to none. Some high priced brand uses HW as their OEM, same product different brand. but as they say, it all boils down on what is your matter of preference. but either model is equally good. I have own Tekin RS pro (gen 1) but I sold it and kept my HW Xerun coz I can abuse it with out feeling guilty of damaging an el-cheapo esc as compared to a $200 esc.. just my cents. as for other brands I have yet to comment... Im sure others on here can help...
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I run a Castle 4600/ Sidewinder in my T3.

No matter what you choose, get some extra slipper pads :wink:
-Kevin

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I'm a Castle fanboy too. 5700 in mine with a Mamba Max in my gold pan. It screams with that setup, but even a 4600 is tons of power, especially with a lipo
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Another hobbywing vote here, cheap an reliable. Definately go XE run if you can afford it but EZ run is good value for the price.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Hobbywing is darn good stuff for the money. On par with Tekin or Novak? No, but in my opinion/experience, it is better than similarly priced stuff, and just good as many of the more expensive brands. I would take a Hobbywing set-up over a Castle, as well; Castle stuff is good, but not smooth at low speeds.

I have an SC10 ESC & 10T motor in my RC10T, a 60A EZrun ESC and 9T can in a B3, and a Beeman X8 ESC (rebranded Xerun 150A) in my Prolite. They have been flawless, and I beat the hell out of my vehicles.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

broodenburg
Approved Member

Post by broodenburg »

totaly agree with Sixtysixdeuce.
the Hobbywing stuff offers insane good value for your Euro, or buck in your case :wink:

I have an EZ run for my son's car and that does the job perfect. If you have the cash go for the XE run, but it's no must!

natob2

Post by natob2 »

Hi All! I ended up going with a EZRUN 60A 13T Brushless combo. I've ordered that and a few new parts for my new T3 runner and I'm looking forward to my first brushless go around soon.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

natob2

Post by natob2 »

Almost done with the T3 restoration with brushless/lipo. Waiting on a few small items to arrive by mail but pretty much there. What does everyone recommend for front tires? (the slicks are what it came with)

Ran it today, indoors, there 18 inches of snow outside :( and wow, it's really fun. VERY different from the 10T i recently restored running a brushed 15T.

Here are the before and after pics. I bought the T3 roller on ebay and it was in very good condition, very loved by the previous owner.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Mount up some gladiators up front :mrgreen: unless you more of a standard front tire like the "edge" :wink:
-Kevin

coxinel

Post by coxinel »

Hello

I use a HK 3520 Kv in 4 poles ant the ESC that comes with it on my T2.
The motor & esc are supposed to be waterproof but i think it's more splashproof. I already used it in wet conditions but not under rain and i had no problems.
The motor is full of torque, i use a 90/25 (9.36 ratio) and the motor doesn't get hot. With a 5200 ma lipo pack i have around 30-35 mn of playing time.
The top speed is insane for me and at the local track on the straight line the car is almsot as fast as the 1/8 th 4X4.

As other people said the slipper is very useful and you need some parts for it (the part that wears i don't have the name sorry for my english)

Your T3 is "younger" and you might have plenty of spare, my T2 is older and i'm scare about running it because it's hard to find some spares :-( I'm looking for a younger runner for me and my son.

Thx

Laurent

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

It looks in your picture like the bullet connectors have some exposed brass; cover that up! You definitely do not want those making contact, will fry transistors in the ESC in an instant!

As for front tires, it really depends on the surface. On clay, I like JConcepts Barcodes & Pressure Points or Proline Scrubs. For fine, loose dirt and sand, your standard ribbed tire. In grass, mud or other "bashing type" environments, something like the Jconcepts Goosebumps or Proline Gladiators.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

Ducati Mechanic

Post by Ducati Mechanic »

I've been out of the loop, what's the best lipo, and spur gear for a T4.2 with a reedy 3300 and 500esc? My last new rc10 was a 10T(version one). Well I shouldn't say that. I also have a new 1990 RC10 gold tub in the box, I just purchased the new truck so I don't tear into that kit.

Thanks guys!

natob2

Post by natob2 »

Sixtysixdeuce - Thanks for spotting that. I didn't think about that! Today I put liquid electric tape on those to cover up the brass. Glad you saw that!

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Thanks for spotting that
No problem! Would hate to see your brand new ESC let the smoke out!

Personally, I like to loom them at the connectors, in addition to insulating. I have seen plenty of them rub through; just happened to my buddy's truck a couple weeks back, and his SC104x4 nearly melted to the ground.

This is my trick: