FWD-GT TOP SPEED CAR

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

romulus22

Re: FWD-GT TOP SPEED CAR

Post by romulus22 »

SFC K wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw 59MPH and then I heard tumble, skid, tumble... :shock:
I took a couple screenshots from the videos from my phone. Did I mention I exploded the front of the lexan tray on the first run?

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

HOLY CR@@@@@@@@@@@@P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was insane!!!

jaw dropped...time to tell the wife why i was "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"ing in the room

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Looks awesome. Can't wait to see it when I'm not at work so I can access the video. The FASCIST REGIME around here thinks their pay would be better served if I weren't watching videos... :roll:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

That is crazy fast already. I think getting it nice and stable is going to be the real tough part to crack. If it were easy everyone would be doing it. Keep at it :D

Also is it worth trying to add more front downforce and less rear downforce? I'd be tempted to use a body shape like this, in whatever size you need to fit...

Lots of frontal downforce
High rear vertical fins to add stability
GARBO 1/8

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Unfortunately my chassis layout will not allow for a body with that low of a profile in the front.

I got to "thinking" last night on why the majority of my crashes are happening. A lot of the crashes are happening right after I let off the throttle. I "think" I may have the drag brake set at too high of a setting. And with the majority of the chassis weight towards the front this is causing the rear to lift and get out of control. I found a couple of nice lots today. After I put the car back together, I pulled it apart last night to go over it all and make sure everything is tight. And I want to take all the heavy oil out of the bearings. I want to remove the drag brake completely and give myself tons of stopping room. I'm hoping this is the cause. All I can do is try and see what happens.

Thanks for following and all of your suggestions.

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

I bet it was the drag break now that you mention it. That would bring the rear around if it went into break mod. You will have to let us know what it was set at when you turn it off. I take it you have the castle link cord for it?
Jeff

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

I bought the castle link pretty much just so I can make sure the low voltage cutoff isn't set too low. I cant remember what the default setting was or what I set it at. There was also many settings on there and even a graph to change the power curve. I left most of it all at the default settings. I have a couple more narrow NASCAR bodies from an old bulk buy. I think its getting a T-bird next. Also Have some wing mounts given to me for another project I ended up not needed them on. I'm no physics guru but I'm kinda thinking if I can mount the wing in front of the rear axle line It should ad some stability without wanting to lift the nose that bad.

I also ran the numbers on the gears I was using. The theoretical top speed was 149. If I go back to my original gears it is 114. When I was running those crappy hard rubber tires I got a false sense of too much power. The foams and the high gears don't seem like it wants to spin at all. So re gearing back down should help pull to speed faster. I'm also thinking of bumping up to 6s too. My only concern here is more battery costs. Do I buy one more 2s and run three batteries in series or do I buy 2) 3s batteries. I really don't want to fork over the money for two more batteries. Just finding the room on my chassis for the odd man out battery is going to be tricky.

Lots to do and lots to think about. time to start tinkering.

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

I'm not sure the wing forward will help. It might slow it down and act like a parachute. It might be that the car is so light once you hit that wall it lifts and that is why it is not accelerating anymore? If you added the 2- 3s batteries it will provide more weight for traction to keep accelerating more. I don't think 3 2s batteries are going to help seeing your limited on space.

Get some 3s Nano-techs for really cheap on HK and they are good packs too. I use them for all my RC's and have had great luck with them.
Jeff

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

A latemodel oval wedge body like the TBG repro bat wedge or CW bullet wedge would give you lots of down force and would have room enough at the front for your set up.

Read once on here about a Bat Wedge being used on a speed run competition car back in the day that hit over 120mph. Can't find the thread now though.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

How do you all feel about running soft pack batteries in your cars? I thought it wasn't a good idea to but I may just be thinking wrong. This will definitely lower the cost.

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

At the speeds your going to be running I would stick with the hard packs, but after seeing how well the body protected the chassis and components you might be able to get away with it in a crash using soft packs.
Jeff

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Wow! I've never seen a car hit so hard it smacked the paint off. :shock: That is one tough chassis! Cool stuff. 8)

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

I run Turnigy nano-tech soft packs in all my cars and airplanes. No problems or complaints here, but then again I have never crashed one into a curb at 100mph.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

I went ahead and ordered up some 55c 3600mah 3s soft packs. I looked at my hard case batteries and after the many tumble is has taken I don't see a single scratch or mark on them. New body was set last night after I cleaned everything. I didn't mess with any of the bearings yet. I've only had to put a total of 1300mah in each pack and they feel super smooth. Just normal rubber sealed bearings. Ill have to put together a go kit to make gear changes if need be. And I need to check and set my drag brake.

And the keen eye spotted something last night so out came the caliper

Rear

Front

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

It eventually defeated me and I just switched one of the wires at the motor.
That's how it's done with BL.

They sure look faster than they are, don't they? My 10GT with the LRP .32 sure looked like it was cooking along at 100, but the radar told us 82.

Not easy to control, either, huh? Now imagine this: A little RC18T, way top heavy from the nitro conversion, that runs at 62 MPH. It's a handful!

Keep up the good work! I wanna see triple digits!
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."