Vonats rules

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vwjuice
Approved Member

Vonats rules

Post by vwjuice »

I'm hoping to go race the constant in a couple years, but I have some questions about the rules.

1. I know it has too be a vehicle made before 1994, but what happens if its a vehicle made in 1991 but was sold until 1998 or so?? I just picked up an Mrc MT-10M from 1991 to go along with my 1991 Mrc Thunder King.

2. Would the Thunder King even be allowed due to the size?

3. I didn't see it in the rules, but is there any rules preventing you from running a modern trans, shocks, or electronics? I'm thinking of installing an RB5 trans in my original Ultima and making longer shock towers to run newer shocks.

Thanks for any and all input guys.

Justin

vwjuice
Approved Member

Re: Vonats rules

Post by vwjuice »

No one has any insight? :(

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

The intent of the VONATs is race vintage vehicles like they were back in the day. As technologies have changed, it is not always possible to run brushed motors, stock tires and nimh batteries thus some newer technology is allowed. The whole purpose of this race isn't to win the A-main with a holiday buggy updated with $1,000 worth of modern parts but to have fun and see old vehicles race.

I believe these are the answers to your questions; however other's can correct me if I am wrong.
1. Yes, you can race the Mrc MT-10M from 1991.

2. The Thunder King doesn't really fit a class; however I am sure that if you bring it along with stock type motors than they will let you run it.

3. Depending on the class, updated shocks and electronics are probably ok, but the new tranny would probably not be allowed.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

mt-10 (there's one that races) is heavy metal
thunder king, erich raced one this year also races in heavy metal.

the heavy metal class is split in two, the mt-10, blackfoot, kingcab, and anything else that size is one class and clod's, usa1's, thunder kings are another class.
they both race at the same time but there are two different sets of trophys.

the mt-10 has been dominating the heavy metal class....because it's really just a big stadium truck.

in the 2wd class (2wd= race bred buggies) they can run modern shocks, batteries, motors, gizmos and gadgets that were available back in the day.
modern trannies would be frowned upon if they were noticed. cheating doesn't work at the vonats because there are guys there that will smoke you with a frog. lol

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

cheating doesn't work at the vonats because there are guys there that will smoke you with a frog. lol
Now THAT is awesome 8)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

The Mt-10m is a standard size 2wd stadium truck. So I would race that against other 2wd trucks. It's a cross between a stout stadium blitzer and a t2. So it should be a pretty good performer.

The Thunder king I have would run two 17.5 systems to keep it legal. That would be fun to race. I could even throw my Baka king body and tires/wheels on it too have a huge stadium truck.

I'm not trying to cheat at all. I'm not like that. :mrgreen:
That's why I'm asking questions so I can build a car over the next couple years. That rules out the one car I wanted to bring as it will have a custom chassis that I'm going to have made.

I was curious about the transmission because I would like to race an original ultima with a trans that has a slipper clutch. The counter gear is becoming harder to find. So I was thinking install the trans from a newer ultima.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

if the trans was available before 1994 you can run it!

i wasn't insinuating you were trying to cheat juice, what i meant is guys get so caught up in the rules that they can discourage themselves.

there was the st-10 and the mt-10. the st-10 races with the stadium trucks and the mt-10 races with heavy metal. i know that they are basically the same but that's how they get placed. you could definatley request to race the mt-10 with the stadium trucks.

my stadium blizter raced in classics, as it's too small for heavy metal and too cheap/flimsy to race with stadium trucks. i could have probably had my choice of classes to race that in. but it's plastic fantastic and slow with stock rubber and i felt it fit in best with the classics.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I think it was MT-10S and MT-10M 8)
Had a few over the years :mrgreen:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

you're probably right. i've never owned anything mrc. just seen them at the 'nats.

the mt-10m is what won the heavy metal class this year, and last year, and the year before.

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

I have a mt10 carcass I am am trying to off on the bay, I can see why they win the heavy metal class as it's basically close to a 'bitd' race truck. I noticed on my carcass the other day it even has the much more modern easy adjust top shock mounts way before any of the real racers got it stock ;)

Chris
Attachments
IMG_1513.JPG
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

The 10m I just bought doesn't have a tires and wheels. I was thinking I'd get a tbg body either the rc10t bug body or the old tamiya Toyota Toyota hilux race body. Then throw on modern rubber.

The MRC trucks and buggy were good racers bitd. They came satcom with ball diffs, fiberglass towers, nice aluminum body shocks, and plenty of shock and turnbuckle adjustments. In the rccaraction shoot puts they did the Marc's were always right there with the losi's and ae's.