1987 World Champs Radio Race Car Oct 87

The place for digital versions of race reports from various sources.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

terry.sc
Approved Member

1987 World Champs Radio Race Car Oct 87

Post by terry.sc »

1987 Off Road World Championships report from Radio Race Car October 1987. The race that changed the way 3 leg finals results were worked out. Jamie Booth beat Masami Hirosaka in 2 of the 3 4wd A finals but Masami won and Jamie was third because the final positions were worked out based on lap times, not placings on the track.
worlds1.jpg
worlds2.jpg
worlds3.jpg
worlds4.jpg
worlds5.jpg
worlds6.jpg

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Re: 1987 World Champs Radio Race Car Oct 87

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

You da man Terry :lol: Thanks for all your scans!!!!

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

ULTIMA time :!: Thanks Terry 8)

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

*bows down to terry.sc*

Thank you for sharing your archive!

I'll say it again, this is an awesome board!

8) 8) 8)

May we have some more?

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

What is that MIP RC10? Have we already discussed this?

bgruen
Approved Member

Post by bgruen »

RichieRich wrote:What is that MIP RC10? Have we already discussed this?
It started with E. Moore creating an aftermarket transmission for the RC10 using three gear internals from the Tamiya SRB aftermarket. This became the forerunner to all modern three gear transmissions. He then got the idea to tap the idle gear and send the power to a front mounted gearbox (just the lower 2 gears of the three gear unit). Of course he had to supply a few parts to the front suspension as well (C Blocks, steering hubs, dog bones, etc).

The first generation used a flex shaft, and it was also fitted to the Tamiya SRBs. The second generation changed to the chain system pictured above. The third generation system used the then new Associated stealth transmission and switched to a belt.

The system really never worked well. Back then the Schumacher Cat, Optima Mids, and even the AYK Pro Radiant were far superior to the MIP conversion. The cogs were so small that you had to run a lot of tension on both the chain and the belt systems, and the flex shaft was just a bad idea period. If you ever spun a Radient's drive-train you'd understand instantly.

Because it never caught on they did not make many of them and they carry a high price tag today. Easily the most expensive collectible add on to an RC-10.

Bob
Writer, producer, and director of The Hobby Stop:

Available on:
  • Amazon
  • iTunes
  • Google Play
  • YouTube Movies
  • Microsoft Store / X-Box

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

bgruen wrote:
RichieRich wrote:What is that MIP RC10? Have we already discussed this?
It started with E. Moore creating an aftermarket transmission for the RC10 using three gear internals from the Tamiya SRB aftermarket. This became the forerunner to all modern three gear transmissions. He then got the idea to tap the idle gear and send the power to a front mounted gearbox (just the lower 2 gears of the three gear unit). Of course he had to supply a few parts to the front suspension as well (C Blocks, steering hubs, dog bones, etc).

The first generation used a flex shaft, and it was also fitted to the Tamiya SRBs. The second generation changed to the chain system pictured above. The third generation system used the then new Associated stealth transmission and switched to a belt.

The system really never worked well. Back then the Schumacher Cat, Optima Mids, and even the AYK Pro Radiant were far superior to the MIP conversion. The cogs were so small that you had to run a lot of tension on both the chain and the belt systems, and the flex shaft was just a bad idea period. If you ever spun a Radient's drive-train you'd understand instantly.

Because it never caught on they did not make many of them and they carry a high price tag today. Easily the most expensive collectible add on to an RC-10.

Bob
Hi Bob, you are pretty much correct but a couple of details are missing, if I may (IN CAPS) :wink:

It started with E. Moore creating an aftermarket transmission for the RC10 BASED UPON THE three gear internals from the Tamiya SRB aftermarket BUT WITH THE ADDITION OF A BALL OR LATER GEARED DIFF. This became the forerunner to all modern three gear transmissions LIKE THE STEALTH. He then got the idea to tap the idle gear and send the power to a front mounted gearbox THIS FRONT UNIT USED SMALLER GEARS THAN THE REAR GEARBOX WITH A 15 TOOTH INPUT SHAFT AND A 30 TOOTH DIFF. Of course he had to supply a few parts to the front suspension as well (C Blocks, steering hubs, dog bones, etc).

The first generation used a flex shaft, A ONE WAY FRONT DIFF, BENT WIRE UNIVERSALS and it was also fitted to the Tamiya SRBs. The second generation (4-10 KIT) changed to the chain system pictured above, HAD A BALL DIFF AND SWITCHED TO DOGBONE UNIVERSALS. IN THE FRONT AND HAD THE OPTION OF A BELT DRIVE (SEE MY PICTURES OF MOST OF THE PARTS).

Rear gearbox halves, belt pulleys, front right gearbox side, front hubs and hub carriers

Front left gearbox side, front hubs and hub carriers

Front gearbox 15T input shaft, belt tensioner and 30T diff. gear.

Front diff. half, front diff. output shaft, two rear diff. plates and two front dogbone/universal cups.

One of my many MIP 4wd cars can be seen unfinished in this thread http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=518

The third generation (LEGEND) system used the then new Associated stealth transmission and WAS ONLY AVAILABLE AS a belt COMING WITH A ONE WAY FRONT DIFF, FRONT CVD'S AND I AM TOLD THE OPTION OF A BALL DIFF.

I personally would like to find out more about the 4wd system made by Roger Curtis

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:I personally would like to find out more about the 4wd system made by Roger Curtis
Me too brother!
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Ok, let me clarify... :lol: I know all about the 4wd mip legends kit, even more now. :lol: There's what appears to be a 2wd MIP buggy on the last page on the right with a trailing arm suspension. What is THAT? Is it an A&L with MIP parts? Or is it all MIP?

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

RichieRich wrote:Ok, let me clarify... :lol: I know all about the 4wd mip legends kit, even more now. :lol: There's what appears to be a 2wd MIP buggy on the last page on the right with a trailing arm suspension. What is THAT? Is it an A&L with MIP parts? Or is it all MIP?
It's just a graphite chassis with the MIP IRS200 trailing arm suspension kit.

Here's a pic of my MIP 4x chassis (racing SRB with MIP cable drive 4wd) with the trailing arm parts in the top it's the same trailing arms on that RC10.

Here it is assembled on my chain drive car

Sorry I don't have better pics. The version on the car in the picture has the RC10 shock tower which comes with the kit installed as well. I sold mine to someone on here for like £2 or something (kind of wish I hadn't). That car might use either the white MIP tranny above or the black tranny I posted earlier. Hope that clears it all up.

Now back to Curtis's 4wd any info. anyone?

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Ok, very awesome cars! I like!!! Quick question: The hinge for the trailing arm looks a little small for the rigors of racing or getting nailed right on a rear wheel. Were they durable?

Triniboy
Approved Member

Post by Triniboy »

Dr. Robotnik wrote:
I personally would like to find out more about the 4wd system made by Roger Curtis

Mr Lexan wrote:
Me too brother!

Dam Mr. Lexan is Hulk Hogan.

Sorry mate couldnt resist.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

RichieRich wrote:Ok, very awesome cars! I like!!! Quick question: The hinge for the trailing arm looks a little small for the rigors of racing or getting nailed right on a rear wheel. Were they durable?
They often broke

Team Best Performance
Approved Member

Post by Team Best Performance »

Thank you very much indeed Terry.sc
Kyosho Triumph,Ultima Pro,Pro-X,Lazer ZXR MKII,Lazer ZX-S,Original Predator Woven C/F Chassis
Custom CNC Anodised Aluminium ,Carbon ,Fiberglass & Plastic parts for RC & full scale applications

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

bump