Installing undertray on Optima Mid

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Installing undertray on Optima Mid

Post by Coelacanth »

How do you guys install the undertray on the Optima Mid series? I have manuals for both the regular Mid and the Turbo SE, neither of which shows an undertray, so I assume it's an aftermarket part. Anyway, I'd prefer to avoid using screws to install the undertray if possible, as the Turbo SE's bottom plate already has countersunk screws. Do you guys use Velcro or how else do you install the undertray?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Hcp22
Approved Member

Re: Installing undertray on Optima Mid

Post by Hcp22 »

You should use dabble sided tape, but when raced with it I use to bolt it with the first pair and the last pair of self tapping screws in the chassis
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Hcp22 wrote:You should use dabble sided tape, but when raced with it I use to bolt it with the first pair and the last pair of self tapping screws in the cassis
I discovered when I cut it out, it's not possible to bolt it on with the front 2/rear 2 screws, as it's not that long. It's a good half-inch too short for it to reach either end. I'll update with a pic tonight. I also prefer not to use double-sided tape as I would like it easily removable to facilitate cleanup and chassis maintenance. I think I'll use 2 screws that are located about the middle of the chassis, behind the top deck spacer posts and before the battery mounts, and industrial Velcro for the sides. I must admit it's an odd design for an undertray, especially considering the bottom plate is already countersunk and the size of the tray isn't long enough to reach either the front screw holes (for the steering setup) or the rear holes either. :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Any update on this one Marc? I'm certain the Mid, Turbo Mid and Turbo Mid SE didn't come with under trays. We're these a Kyosho option or were they on offer from one of the aftermarket companies?
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Must be aftermarket, but it's an exact fit regarding the shape. The issue is just exactly where and how to mount it. I can't do an update until the body is fitted, because you need to align the undertray to the body as it fits quite closely inside the body shell.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Ok. At some stage I'll end up with a Turbo Mid and I also want to run a lexan tray. Ill most likely fasten it on with double sided tape.
Looking forward to more pics.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

If you should run it, I do recommend attaching it with the screws that hold the bumper in place. And for the rest double sided tape is good enough. I have experience dropping the front end of the under tray during a race back in the day. And I saw lots of guys warping the frontend with tape just to hold the under tray in place :lol:
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Could it be the after market tray from TBG?
As you mentioned; It does not seem long enough to be fastened by the bumper screws.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYOSHO-TURBO-OPTIMA-MID-SE-UNDER-TRAY-COWL-/150404279968?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item2304cb2ea0
Cheers
Joel

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

Screws do not look that great on some undertrays I have seen as it warps the lexan if the screw is done up tight. Or if the screw is looser it does not carry out it's job optimally.

If I fit a lexan undertray to my RC10 it will be with small locations of black foam double sided underneath, or more likely velcro tabs on the chassis tub sides.

Another thought - bin the lexan undertray. Instead fit something thinner with adhesive backing to the metal chassis directly. Maybe very sticky industrial vinyl or something tougher. Then drill or cut the holes out, then assemble the car. That way the chassis is protected and all screws are accessible. This seems the best idea to me.
GARBO 1/8

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Coelacanth wrote:Must be aftermarket, but it's an exact fit regarding the shape. The issue is just exactly where and how to mount it. I can't do an update until the body is fitted, because you need to align the undertray to the body as it fits quite closely inside the body shell.
Kyosho never made an undertray for the short wheelbase Mid, in the UK we used the Racecraft undertray which was also short, personally as nothing I had run before had an undertray I never bothered.

The usual fixing method was double sided tape, or velcro so you could easily pull it off for maintenance. A piece of tape across the front stops any dirt getting under it or it being peeled off by getting stuck on anything. Not the prettiest but it did the job.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

In Sweden Gothenburg Pit Stop made and distributed under tray’s for the SWB Mid
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

HKS_TRD
Approved Member

Post by HKS_TRD »

Someone on here said they had a mould for a full length undertray and would look for it one day, can't remember who it was but I hope they find it one day!

Why on earth are the TBG and Marwan undertrays short like that, makes no sense

I've got one for my SE but with the custom chassis I have it will be a little odd as the undertray is moulded for the stock chassis, going to cut it out this weekend along with the body and see how it goes

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

j0pp3 wrote:Could it be the after market tray from TBG?
As you mentioned; It does not seem long enough to be fastened by the bumper screws.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYOSHO-TURBO-OPTIMA-MID-SE-UNDER-TRAY-COWL-/150404279968?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item2304cb2ea0
Yes, that's the one I bought. Indeed, it's too short to install with the front & rear screw pairs. You could install it with 2 screws about mid-section using 2 holes there that seem to have no purpose with my Optima Mid*. I haven't had a chance to take pics yet, sorry about that; of course, you'll want to get the body mounted first, and only then can you plan the location to mount the undertray so it properly fits inside the body.

I have no idea why they're short, but they do fit very well. You just have to plaster double-sided tape or Velcro tape somewhere on your lower plate to mount it.

* EDIT: The holes are probably used to install the lower chain cover, which I'm not using in my RWD mod.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

I have never seen that one before; I don’t think Kyosho mad that one. Can it be that should be mounted on the top chassis? :?:
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Hcp22 wrote:I have never seen that one before; I don’t think Kyosho mad that one. Can it be that should be mounted on the top chassis? :?:
Nope, the grooves at the front & rear "opening" of the undertray mate perfectly with the Optima Mid lower chassis plate. Like I said, it's a perfect fit, the only thing that appears to be an oversight are the lack of front/rear mounting holes for screws.