Rc 10 - 4 good buddy - WOIN build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tommykart
Approved Member

Rc 10 - 4 good buddy - WOIN build

Post by tommykart »

My scope of this project was to make a runner out of a gold pan buggy. Parts availability being the main focus on the direction of parts that i am using. I chose to use B4 parts because they are cheep and readily available. It all started with buying front and rear arms, shocks carriers hubs for $25 shipped. Everything that i got was in good shape, and shocks were like bran new, and worth the $25 by themselves. The front was easy enough, cut, drill and bolt on, after making front bulkhead. The rear was a pain in the rear, took a lot of figuring how to get the arms in there with mounts. At one point i was almost cut the back end off the chassis and mount the b4 rear on :lol: . enjoy the pics, still have a lot of little things to finish up but it runs pretty good. I used a T3 transmission, thats what i had. Only problems i have is with rear travel, dimensionally is is exactly like the b4, i am not sure if i have too much droop in the rear that the cvd bottoms out against the stops in the out-drives before the chassis bottoms out.

I got the chassis off epay; 0.99 for the chassis and 0.99 for the nose because all the countersunk holes on the chassis had been enlarged, so cutting it up didn't seem so terrible, but still a little painful when i actually did it.
Attachments
104rear shocks.JPG
104-bottom rear.JPG
104 rear droop.JPG
104 rear mt.JPG
rear carriers with arms installed
rear carriers with arms installed
cut bulkhead and carrier installed
cut bulkhead and carrier installed
cut lines to fit the rear carriers under
cut lines to fit the rear carriers under
104cutchassis.JPG
104fronbottom.JPG
104-front.JPG
Tom

tommykart
Approved Member

Re: Rc 10 - 4 good buddy - WOIN build

Post by tommykart »

a couple more pics
Attachments
the way it sits now
the way it sits now
new droop bottoming out
new droop bottoming out
Tom

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Nice job! I have been waiting for someone to build something like this.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

I think that a B4 built on a gold chassis was brought up quite while back, but I never saw any pictures of it done! Looks good. I kind of have an opposite idea going, its why i made a thread asking about a B4 chassis. I want to take an old cars suspension and trans and drop them onto a new cars tub.

tommykart
Approved Member

Post by tommykart »

losiXXXman wrote:I think that a B4 built on a gold chassis was brought up quite while back, but I never saw any pictures of it done! Looks good. I kind of have an opposite idea going, its why i made a thread asking about a B4 chassis. I want to take an old cars suspension and trans and drop them onto a new cars tub.
that would be interesting, would just need to custom make a rear motor plate to accommodate everything and for the front, that would be a little more tricky

thanks jwscab
Tom

delsami
Approved Member

Post by delsami »

very impressive build!!
xxx,lunchbox,blackfoot,t4,2 rc10ce's,rc10 graphite,rc10 worlds car,2 rc10 t's,xx4---GONE:mip4wdrc10,rpm worlds,houge rc10,super clod,sand scorcher,f103,frog,xxxt,b2,b3,tc3,jrx2,fox,yr4-m2 usa,yz-10 many more LOL

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

tommykart wrote:...Only problems i have is with rear travel, dimensionally is is exactly like the b4, i am not sure if i have too much droop in the rear that the cvd bottoms out against the stops in the out-drives before the chassis bottoms out.
That's ambitious.

The droop limiters should be the shocks as opposed to anything else like the suspension arms or worse yet the cvd's. Looks like you have 1.32 body/1.32 shaft shocks on the rear? A 1.02 shaft might help, and/or a load of internal limiters, and/or a new shock tower, and/or different shock bodies, and or different shaft ends/bottom spring cups and/or any combination of the above. It would also be nice if when you push the chassis to the floor, the shocks are at or very near to fully compressed.
- Brian -

My Gallery

tommykart
Approved Member

Post by tommykart »

so maybe i have too much droop? I am not sure of how much droop a B4 has. I had to put 4 spacers on the cvd to move it in far enough so the axle was i in far enough on the out drives. Thanks for the input, back to the work bench.
Tom

carloco8

Post by carloco8 »

tommykart wrote:...Only problems i have is with rear travel, dimensionally is is exactly like the b4, i am not sure if i have too much droop in the rear that the cvd bottoms out against the stops in the out-drives before the chassis bottoms out.
If you mean the cvd hits the inside of the drive cup before the shock bottoms out, then you definitely need shorter cvd shafts. Otherwise they will bend from slamming into the drive cups under heavy compression (landing after a jump) and cause further problems. If you have B4 cvd's then try associated B44 cva's, the drive shafts are a few mm shorter. Unfortunately you'll need to buy another whole set because the pivot/coupling is switched on the axle and shaft between cvd's and cva's.

You can also put limiters on the outside of the shocks to prevent this too, but up travel an handling may suffer.
Old school racing all the way!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

does the trans sit too high and now there too much of a telescoping effect in the outdrive?

tommykart
Approved Member

Post by tommykart »

scr8p wrote:does the trans sit too high and now there too much of a telescoping effect in the outdrive?

that may be the solution since i already have 4 shims on the inside, to keep the axles in just far enough at full droop. Have been too busy lately to mess around in the shop.
Tom

tommykart
Approved Member

Post by tommykart »

well i guess i was over cautious about how much the axle should be in the out-drive. moved 3 of the washers to the outside and now have enough space for the axle to not bottom out and the chassis to touch the ground.

After looking at it more if the trans was any lower i might have had an issue with the axle hitting the end of the out drive
Tom