Help with choosing a new vehicle

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC Chick
Approved Member

Help with choosing a new vehicle

Post by RC Chick »

I am interested in purchasing a new vehicle for myself and I really don't know what I want to get. I have had mostly trucks and thought about getting a buggy. Here are some things to consider: It is going to be a backyard vehicle not a race vehicle. I want to keep regular motors (not brushless) and RTR is fine. I have only a 240.00 budget for this. I also don't want something that is going to be outdated and can't find parts for in 2-3 years.

My toss up is this, a new T4 or the kyosho Lazer ZX5 or something else. I have never had a 4WD before and don't know much about the kyosho's design, product changes and maint. What is the purpose of the 4WD and reliability of them?

Any suggestions??

mikedealer
Approved Member

Re: Help with choosing a new vehicle

Post by mikedealer »

4wd usually beat the motors a little harder sometimes as opposed to a 2wd drive vehicle, and parts "tend" to break a little more although some may disagree with that. ive raced a b2/3/4 whole seasons and only broken 3 parts. but then ill race 4wd vehicles like a jconcepts/yokomo/losi and go through a TON of parts.

I think the RTR b4 is a GREAT car for the money. Plus, graphite parts are a total waste, i RACE with plastic parts as do most factory drivers and have no problems and is definetly a more stable car. ALmost all racers dump the graphite chassis right off the bat from the factory team kit and get a plastic chassis.

its a fun car

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

T4.

4wd cars have a lot more parts to break, belts to wear/fray, etc, etc. You can't beat a T4 for general bashing and messing around with. I agree 100% about getting the plastic over the cf version as well. Doesn't ever need any upgrades, but a titanium turnbuckle set would be nice.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

I'm gonna say for general backyard bashing one of these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVSEARCH=ax90001&search=Go

Mine is ordered and I'm patiently waiting... I could've had it by now by going ebay, but I like my LHS and plus he'll get to show the finished product in his display case for a while (= I get a nice discount) :wink: I'm going to do some very different mods with regards to tires and wheels, as I really don't like the whole "monster truck" look... think motorcycle trials. :wink:

junkman
Approved Member

Post by junkman »

For a backyard basher I couldn't be more pleased with the traxxas stampede. It has big enough tires and ground clearance to go through grass and over stuff well, which was my gripe with all my regular trucks and buggies. The only complaint I have is it is a little light in the front end. Mine is the brushless vxl, and is an absolute rocket, but may be a bit more than you are wanting to spend. You could pick up the xl-5 version for less than $200 to your door. It's got a 12 turn 550 motor, and good esc, so I would imagine it would run plenty well to keep you happy for a while. I am actually planning to pick and xl5 up for my wife.

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

Thanks guys for your input. I would still like to see more responses.

As far as the Stampede goes I have one and I hate it. fast but does not handle well at all. I took the electronics out and put them into a 10T. I still have the rolling chasis if anyone wants to buy it.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

If you want a real addiction, go with the awesomeness known as a Clodbuster! :P :P
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

The T4 would be the obvious choice, but 4wds are cool too...

If you scour the local recycler (or check them online) you may be able to find some great deals for that 240.

How about an EMaxx? My TMaxx is a crazy fun basher in the back yard.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

even some of the small scale vehicles are nice, like the mini's, parts are cheap, lots of hopups, ready to run sometimes, and they are fun to run.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

JK Racing wrote:How about an EMaxx? My TMaxx is a crazy fun basher in the back yard.
Blasphemy!! :evil: Away with your evil ways!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

:wink: :P

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

you should see my 5 year old, we race his powerwheels escalade against "his" TMaxx...I usually have to stop driving, my ribs hurt too bad from laughing
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

A Power Wheels Escalade beats an emaxx. I'd believe that! :mrgreen:

The one thing I've learned about Traxxas products is that it's a love hate relationship. You either love them or hate them. My Tmaxx was a POS out of the box - you can probably guess my feelings towards them. :?

The important thing is this, regardless of the make or model, if it suits the users needs, that's all that matters. 8)

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Mini's are good for backyards, but stick with trucks: big enough wheels are a must for outside unless you're gone ditch the last pebble out of your stoneyard (I saw your pics).
The vendetta seems to be one of the top cars and should be easily to maintain in the US.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

RC Chick wrote:I am interested in purchasing a new vehicle for myself and I really don't know what I want to get. I have had mostly trucks and thought about getting a buggy. Here are some things to consider: It is going to be a backyard vehicle not a race vehicle. I want to keep regular motors (not brushless) and RTR is fine. I have only a 240.00 budget for this. I also don't want something that is going to be outdated and can't find parts for in 2-3 years.

My toss up is this, a new T4 or the kyosho Lazer ZX5 or something else. I have never had a 4WD before and don't know much about the kyosho's design, product changes and maint. What is the purpose of the 4WD and reliability of them?

Any suggestions??
Arrrgg. Let me start over. I disagree with most of the posts that came after mine. I've been "bashing" for 20 years now. NOTHING bashes better than a full blown race vehicle. As in, a T4 or a B4 or a XXX or the like. 4wd is fun for bashing too. But, they break a LOT more than 2wd's do. Don't go for half-assed vehicles that have some racing features. Like you said, you hated the Stampede. Any "basher" or "entry level" vehichle is going to seem like Radio Shack crap compared to a T4 or a B4. Of course when you're bashing you want something that is going to perform well. Guess what, a car that performs better on the track will also perform better in the backyard, on the street, in the alley, etc, etc. Also, race cars and trucks are just as durable, if not more durable than the lesser vehicles on the market. They have to be, otherwise they don't finish races, and then owners can't win, and then they won't buy any more products from that company.

I know this subject has come up several times on this board, and I always get a bit heated. I just hate seeing people steered towards junk. When I started, my buddy had a Grasshopper. I got a Fox and blew his Grasshopper off the playground. Then I came across my first RC10 and it blew my Fox away. Now, there is no reason why someone who could assemble and drive a Grasshopper, couldn't assemble, drive and maintain an RC10. Plus, they'll have much more fun with the RC10, and in the long run, it will last longer, break fewer parts, and have much more parts support. It was true back then, it is true now. Think about it, who here would rather have a Grasshopper over an RC10? So why would you rather have a Stampede, Rustler, Blackfoot, or whatever over a T4?

I do agree with Halgar's mention of the Clodbuster. However, for a $240 budget stock Clods aren't nearly as much fun as a stock T4. That Axial Scorpion does look very promising.

On a side note, I think about the most fun I've ever had with anything R/C was racing Tamiya Mini Coopers with Sport Tuned motors. But, those are pretty much for parking lots only, and not quite as much fun when it's just you and your Mini Cooper. Get one or two or five more others to race against, it's a total blast.

Go with a T4 or B4. Get some RPM front arms and titanium turnbuckles if you break the stock pieces.

Rant over. :wink:

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

if you get a T4, all your 10T & T2 wheels and tires are a direct fit. (if you have the thin axles in the rear)

I posted a link in the BST, you can buy a T4 direct for AE (or their ebay name) for $80 +shipping. No electronics or wheels/tires. Toss whatever electronics you want in there and have a blast. Probably come in under your 240 also.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com