Optima Mid Custom - Build/Restore

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

j0pp3
Approved Member

Optima Mid Custom - Build/Restore

Post by j0pp3 »

Hi guys,

After the successful builds of the first three SWB models I thought it was time to look at the LWB ones. The Optima Mid Custom will be my first Optima Mid LWB ever :wink:

It was released as a budget Optima Mid with its Black Dumper shocks (instead of Gold or Platinum shocks) but it looks kind of good anyway.

Project has started and I'm now collecting some key parts for this model. Here is a link to the manual in Japanese (big thanks to cyberfox). It has the part numbers in Exploded View section:
http://www.retromodelisme.com/manuel_page/229/optima-mid-custom-kyosho.html

Here you can see what I have collected so far.

Front wheels (OT-121), front tires (W5033).
Rear wheels (MA-17), rear tires (OT-66).

Alloy chassis (OT-122).

Radio plate (OTW-6).
Bumper (OT-93).
Rear plate (L) (OT-114).

That's all for now!
Cheers
Joel

sheriff
Approved Member

Re: Optima Mid Custom - Collecting parts

Post by sheriff »

Nice one j0pp3, will be keeping my eye on this. Any updates?

I have a couple customs that I'll be making into one good one. You've done it again though, how on earth did you find those 'as new' wheels, and those narrow front tyres?!!

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

sheriff wrote:Nice one j0pp3, will be keeping my eye on this. Any updates?

I have a couple customs that I'll be making into one good one. You've done it again though, how on earth did you find those 'as new' wheels, and those narrow front tyres?!!
Hi sheriff! Good to have you here :D

I have been lurking around on both local and global auction sites since November last year. Around ten Optima Mid have been scored now so I have a pile of Optima parts. For example those wheels came with a Turbo Optima Mid SE. Rear tires came with a Optima Mid (original OT-66). Front tires (also original) was traded with a nice person at a Swedish forum. It adds up! 8)

I like having a lot of cars and take some parts there and some parts here. Especially when I see the single part prices on Ebay :!:

Today I have been cleaning up in my hobby room (if one can call it a room). It was a mess after all the other builds. Random parts everywhere because I have been focusing on building and taking photos. Tomorrow is a good day for updates so stay tuned... :wink:
Cheers
Joel

sheriff
Approved Member

Post by sheriff »

I too have lost count of the number of Mids I've collected, all in varying condition. Prefer the swb though, probably due to nostalgic reasons!

Looking forward to the update :)

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

sheriff wrote:I too have lost count of the number of Mids I've collected, all in varying condition. Prefer the swb though, probably due to nostalgic reasons!

Looking forward to the update :)
I prefer the SWB too but I have found that LWB models have a higher chance of being in good condition due to under trays on those. So they are sometimes better as donor cars.

Today my local post office failed when giving me a notification about a package. It said they had it waiting for me but that wasn't true... so I'll get back there tomorrow and hope they have solved the issue.

Instead, I have been looking for plastic parts and differentials and found some that you can see in the pictures below. The differentials are all gear differentials and I have disassembled them all and put them in a bath of "anti-grease" so I can remove all the grease in them easier tomorrow. Then I will look for the best parts.

Cheers
Joel

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Wasn´t there a set of ball diffs between them? I think i see a set.
Gone fishing

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

DennisM wrote:Wasn´t there a set of ball diffs between them? I think i see a set.
Uuuups! Thought I had them removed before I took that photo. Many errors today.... :|

Thanks for pointing that out :D

Those ball differentials will be used in a future Turbo Optima Mid Special project.

Cheers
Cheers
Joel

sheriff
Approved Member

Post by sheriff »

Anti-grease??? That's something else that will be going on the 'to buy' list then! So, we can look forward to seeing a finished Custom by this time tomorrow then?!

Only joking :)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

WD-40 is a great anti-grease. ;) That and a toothbrush and you're done in 10 minutes.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

sheriff wrote:Anti-grease??? That's something else that will be going on the 'to buy' list then! So, we can look forward to seeing a finished Custom by this time tomorrow then?!

Only joking :)
Haha! Maybe it's called "degreasing fluid" or something? You are a funny guy :wink:

Hope to be able to add an another update today.
Coelacanth wrote:WD-40 is a great anti-grease. ;) That and a toothbrush and you're done in 10 minutes.
I actually tried WD40 at first but it was not very effective on some differentials that had grease like glue after all these years. The degreasing fluid I bought from the petrol station is more effective and much cheaper. It cannot be used as anything else though and it smells badly :shock:
Cheers
Joel

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Looking forward to this build - I loved the SWB models - and the Custom was my first 'real' RC car that I first went racing with on my 13th birthday! Can't wait to seem some quality pics of another quality build :-)

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

jamin wrote:Looking forward to this build - I loved the SWB models - and the Custom was my first 'real' RC car that I first went racing with on my 13th birthday! Can't wait to seem some quality pics of another quality build :-)
You were a lucky 13 year old for sure, I could only dream of owning/driving an Optima when I started 'racing' with my Tamiya Hornet - also aged 13, I can distinctly remember the two young lads that I first spoke to when I entered the hall where the racing took place - they both had Optimas & they looked rather dissaproving at my Hornet.... which proved very quickly to be a somewhat unsuitable racing machine.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

DerbyDan wrote:
jamin wrote:Looking forward to this build - I loved the SWB models - and the Custom was my first 'real' RC car that I first went racing with on my 13th birthday! Can't wait to seem some quality pics of another quality build :-)
You were a lucky 13 year old for sure, I could only dream of owning/driving an Optima when I started 'racing' with my Tamiya Hornet - also aged 13, I can distinctly remember the two young lads that I first spoke to when I entered the hall where the racing took place - they both had Optimas & they looked rather dissaproving at my Hornet.... which proved very quickly to be a somewhat unsuitable racing machine.
Yes i was lucky, very lucky, but I saved EVERY penny I received/found/stole :lol: for 6 months or so. In fact I still think I have the savings book from the building society that lists all my payments in it! How sad is that?!?!?!

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

Wow, I envy your collection of parts.

Also, I really admire your photography skills... I'm a casual photographer, so I can appreciate what goes into producing images like that.

j0pp3
Approved Member

Post by j0pp3 »

Cool! I was 15 years old when I found my first real R/C second hand in the Yellow Paper (the old school buy/sell before Internet). It was a Turbo Optima with 8.4V battery. It was actually a bit faster than I could handle by that time. Wish I still had it! :?
DerbyDan wrote: You were a lucky 13 year old for sure, I could only dream of owning/driving an Optima when I started 'racing' with my Tamiya Hornet - also aged 13, I can distinctly remember the two young lads that I first spoke to when I entered the hall where the racing took place - they both had Optimas & they looked rather dissaproving at my Hornet.... which proved very quickly to be a somewhat unsuitable racing machine.
Thanks for a little bit of nostalgic thoughts :D
jamin wrote: Yes i was lucky, very lucky, but I saved EVERY penny I received/found/stole :lol: for 6 months or so. In fact I still think I have the savings book from the building society that lists all my payments in it! How sad is that?!?!?!
Haha! :lol:

uniquenamehere wrote:Wow, I envy your collection of parts.

Also, I really admire your photography skills... I'm a casual photographer, so I can appreciate what goes into producing images like that.
Thanks! I have found a manual camera setting for my Canon 40D that works every time now so it's easy as pie to take these pictures. Tripod and a remote is a must! :wink:

Todays mini update will show you some stuff I just got in the mailbox. Was N.I.B but not anymore :mrgreen:

OTW-2 Special Damper Set

FD-37 Black Dumper (S)
Cheers
Joel