My Sand Scorcher Build

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC104ever
Approved Member

My Sand Scorcher Build

Post by RC104ever »

Hey everyone, so as I promised awhile back, I am working on a Sand Scorcher which I bought from another member here (Bimdapogs) and I immediately began researching and reading up on ways to improve and modify the SRB chassis.

One of the first things I always look at is HP. But, as many people have pointed out already, the chassis flex, lack of a diff and slipper clutch are limiting factors.

After some exhaustive searching, I was able to find out that the DF-03 slipper will work with some mods to the stock SRB main shaft (you have to file / grind the sides flat). Bimdapogs was nice enough to also sell me a ball diff so I was all set there.

Next up on the list was the chassis - I found that there was an aluminum one available so I bought that too along with the improved rear independent suspension from RC Channel, then I sourced some better shocks from RC4wd.com, some shiny alloy wheels and new tires, then a saddle pack and servo.

The remaining challenges are mounting a brushless motor and figuring out how to improve the stock steering setup, while still using the stock radio box (I like the idea of it being water / weather proof).

But here is what I have so far, more as the final parts arrive and I find the time to work on it.

Here is a pic mostly disassembled - in the bottom left you can see the gear box with slipper installed.

Ball Diff and DF-03 Slipper

Radshape RC aluminum chassis and nose plate (I like that its so similar to the RC10). Unfortunately the nose and body were in different anodizing shades but oh well.

RC Channel rear suspension, stainless screw kit and shocks. Unfortunately the shocks only will work on the rear (which I didn't know) but I got different ones anyways.

Savox servo, Thunder Power Saddle Pack lipo and a Castle CM26 brushless motor. I originally thought that the CM26 would be perfect as it would be smaller than a 540 motor but big enough to move the SRB chassis without killing it. Unfortunately, its just a shade too small and I don't think I could mount it properly even if I mod the gearbox. So I have a 540 sized Reedy 3300 kv brushless motor coming that should work with fewer mods.

Alloy wheels from - 1.7"

New tires

New universals installed from RC Channel kit

Rear suspension and chassis guard ready to be installed

Extra parts I needed from ebay (one of the rubber parts bags)

Bearings and Shock Tower Saver

RC4WD 80mm shocks with shock boots

Front shocks and shock tower saver installed

One of the stock spring stops needs to be taken off in order for the shocks to clear

Dremel to the rescue!

No going back now

All mounted up and ready
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Ivan Dobsky
Approved Member

Re: My Sand Scorcher Build

Post by Ivan Dobsky »

I like what you've done so far, I have the same rear suspension on mine and its pretty good. With regard to it being waterproof and brushless, have you considered the possibility of using the waterproof brushless system that Traxxas sold? I think it was called the Velineon, I use it in my Hornet and I like it.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

you're better off without that first set of shocks, they are leakers, bad leakers. most people mount them upside down, but even then they are still messy leakers. i have a pair on the front of my crp modded grasshopper. they look good, but leak.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

That's what I figured so I'm just waiting for the second set of rc4wd shocks to show up. I figure i will use the first set of shocks on the rear until the good ones arrive. So now I need to just get the motor and mount it then I'll be good to go. Then some paint and hopefully I'll be ready to hit the beach. More pics to come as parts arrive.
- Chris

minimini
Approved Member
Location: KWS@Hong Kong; 3.5 hours' trip to meet tiger1 and only 7,777 miles from Doug

Post by minimini »

any more detailed pictures about the mod of the DF03 slipper in order to put in the SS gearbox ??

thanks !!
mini@vintage Team Yokomo/Associated

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Literally all you do is buy it, file down two sides of the stock main shaft, then add the slipper plates, slipper pads and the stock screw with a washer. I will take it apart and get some pics as soon as I have time
- Chris

minimini
Approved Member
Location: KWS@Hong Kong; 3.5 hours' trip to meet tiger1 and only 7,777 miles from Doug

Post by minimini »

how is the fitting of the RC4WD white shocks ??.... :)
mini@vintage Team Yokomo/Associated

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

Liking your upgrade choices. Should be a great build! 8)
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

minimini wrote:how is the fitting of the RC4WD white shocks ??.... :)
In retrospect I probably could have used a spacer on the top instead of cutting that part off but oh well.
- Chris

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Well here is an update. I managed to get the rear suspension sorted by making a custom ghetto mount by drilling through the stock roll bar and fitting some stock rear RC10 shocks. (Hey its gotta have a little AE in it, lol)

That worked well and then I figured out that the front RC4wd shocks needed a small slot in the piston so they wouldn't be hydrolocked and now they are smooth as butta. One side may still need a bit of adjusting as its a touch stiffer than the other side but not a biggie for now.

I also did a test run with the electronics connected and unfortunately, the slipper just spins, despite being tightened down all the way. Not sure what the issue is but I've sent an email to the guy who did it over at Tamiyaclub.com and we'll see what he says. Worst case scenario I go back to the stock setup which isn't a big deal since I do have the ball diff installed.

For those wondering about the slipper clutch mod, here are some pics:

Here is the stock main shaft after I used my dremel to flatten the sides

Here is the link to the info I used:
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=105064&sid=28851

Everything test fit to the chassis

You can see here the shaft is just in contact with the IRS - if I tighten it the problem goes away
Also, you can see that with the Reedy brushless installed, the stock motor mount screw holes work perfectly! However, the inside of the gear case must be dremelled out a bit to fit the motor. I flattened all the stock 'knobs' and had to widen the entire inside of both halves of the case to fit the 3300kv motor. Didn't take much, a few passes of my dremel and it fit

Here you can see the slot I put into the shock piston for the front shocks

Rear shocks mounted. You can see on the left side, the hole is on a bit of an angle, reason this happened I had a screw that I put part way in and it snapped off so I had to try and drill it out again. As it turns out, I like it this way better than the other side as the shock sits at a better angle. No biggie though, doesn't seem to affect anything. You can see how I used a screw to keep the shock in one place and then a flanged lock screw on the other side.

Rear wheels installed.

I also did a test fit of the body shell and it is a very tight fit but all I need to do is drill out one of the other body holes in the front to make it fit.

Here is my to do list:

1. Adjust the slot in the right front shock to equalize the shock damping on the front
2. Disassemble the rear gear box and try to figure out why the spur is turning but the wheels are not turning much.
3. Install the radio box / electronics etc.
4. Paint the shell
- Chris

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

OMG, what happened to the car?!?! :lol:

Props for your efforts so far. I'm looking forward to seeing a video of it running.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Meh...I just did a few tweaks here and there ;)

I'm hoping to have it running soon just have a couple of issues to sort out hopefully this weekend.
- Chris

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Well, I have the car nearly finished now. I gave up on the slipper mod for now. I also needed to buy a whole other Scorcher to get some newer re-re parts like the front arms and gear box.

I ran into a lot of issues with this build. The Reedy motor needed bigger bullet connectors so I did that then just bought a Castle 4600 which worked better with the Sidewinder anyways. Then I couldn't fit the saddle packs in the radio box so I need a smaller lipo. Just need that and I'm all set!

I have it running basically just need a small lipo and I'm off to the beach. Pics to come once it's running.
- Chris

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

FINALLY! It's finished enough to run it - which I did tonight and I must say, I love it already. While it handled about how I expected it to, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. I would guess that the modern shocks and aluminum chassis certainly help a lot.

Still have to paint the final shell and install the LED's. Also not happy with the ghetto way the aluminum stinger exhaust is attached but these are all minor details. I'm just waiting for the battery to charge and I will take it to the local park and try it out in the sand there. Maybe I'll terrify a few young kids :lol: :mrgreen:

Anyways, here's the pics.

Full chassis

Mounted the ESC outside the radio box to avoid it overheating. Not really concerned with water since I know these Castle ESC's are pretty water resistant. Besides, not planning to run it under water, lol.

All the rest of the electronics etc mounted inside.

Castle 4600 brushless. I originally wanted to use a Reedy 3300 but it didn't fit quite right. This was a perfect fit in the re-release gear box but NOT the original gear box, despite my best efforts to modify the original gear box.

Here you can see the aluminum stinger exhaust held on temporarily by two zip ties. The issue here is that the screw holes on the exhaust aren't deep enough or even threaded. Haven't really figured out how to fix that part but don't really care right now either.

Front 3/4 view, you can see the alloy front bumper / skid plate

Side view

Rear 3/4 view

Comments are welcome! Thanks to Goldrush for selling me his Scorcher - I used a lot of the parts to get this one going. :)
- Chris

ireg
Approved Member

Post by ireg »

nice restoration :shock:

I like the rc4wd shoock boots, what happen to the side mirror?