attempting a restore

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jon burrows
Approved Member

attempting a restore

Post by jon burrows »

trying to rebuild my 1980's rc10. trying, to be the key word here :lol: . only because i have about zero time to devote. unfortunately. i dont plan on making it a runner. with the parts i have already (short arm caddy), i would much rather scratch build a 'whats old...is new' buggy when im done with this. enough bs, i stripped the anno already (didnt take a before pic, of course) and dyed (black) the miami vice hot pink and teal green nylon parts. dont know where to go from here with the chassis. re-anodize, powder coat, chrome plate, etc. im thinking about chrome paint? thoughts? imo, since its a shelfer, im not worried about the chipping. but not sure, the appearance may be el cheapo! which is not what im trying for. any opinions are well appreciated.
sorry about the low-quality cell pics
jb
photo 3.JPG
photo 1 copy.JPG
photo 1 copy.JPG (28.07 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
photo 1 copy.JPG
photo 1 copy.JPG (28.07 KiB) Viewed 1075 times

RC10resto

Re: attempting a restore

Post by RC10resto »

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

JB nice job so far !! But if would like to make a runner out of it without having to drill the chassis you could try and find a MIP tranny or some other kind that bolts in the same way as the 6 gear trans. Or you can drill it for the newer stealth tranny that replaced the 6 gear trans. With the short arm frontend some guys put reguler car bodies on them or a truck converdion which is front axles and wheels and body mounts for truck body. DON

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

Your car is amazing!
It was your car actually that made me want to chrome it strip the gold in the first place! What an awesome job you did! If you don't mind my asking, if you didn't do it yourself, how much did it cost to do the chrome?

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

THUNDERSTRIKE1 wrote:JB nice job so far !! But if would like to make a runner out of it without having to drill the chassis you could try and find a MIP tranny or some other kind that bolts in the same way as the 6 gear trans. Or you can drill it for the newer stealth tranny that replaced the 6 gear trans. With the short arm frontend some guys put reguler car bodies on them or a truck converdion which is front axles and wheels and body mounts for truck body. DON
I actually have an MIP tranny from back in the day that I was going to save for a runner. Though, if I do decide to make it a runner, I'd probably use the MIP. I have it in a carbon craft or custom craft (don't remember the name). We're they a popular tranny over the stealth?

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

getting real frustrated about the lack of time i actaully have to devote to my rc10 project :x :x
but, i did have a little time today and after wet sanding and polishing, and sanding and sanding and sanding and polishing again, it seems like this chassis is just not gonna shine. so i bit the bullet and chromed it. home depot style :oops: . anyway, it wasnt all that bad looking after the first coat of spray-paint. until the wind kicked up during the second coat and blew the dropcloth over the wet paint!!! just not having that much luck.

so, what do ya think? strip the paint and re-paint, try topping with a third coat, wet sand the problem areas top with a third coat, or toss it? any suggestions much appreciated...
sprayed chassis set.jpeg
nose plate sprayed.jpeg

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

stripped the chrome spray paint. doesnt look all that different in a picture though
photo.JPG

mikea96

Post by mikea96 »

I would get it powder coated! It is durable and there are quite a few colors available.

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

I was debating powder coating or anodizing but this chassis just has too many flaws. This isnt the one to splurge, it's a DIY special.