My Vintage Losi Stash & Build Thread *5-Link Build No.3!*

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jamin
Approved Member

Re: My Vintage Losi 'Stash' & Build Thread

Post by jamin »

Awesome Dan, crazy that you've just gone through all your parts and found enough to build a car!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

jamin wrote:Awesome Dan, crazy that you've just gone through all your parts and found enough to build a car!
Well - alot of this car comes from the blue/black/yellow bodied car shown on the first page of this thread. That car was the first JRX2 that I got in a LOT of parts that came from Holland - which included all the new parts that went into the 'shelfer' build.... so I already had a complete car, albeit that it had the H-arm rear end.

- The chassis, gearbox housing & Pro front bumpers came with a bunch of spares from my mate.. I will also use a nice machined aluminium pivot plate & some RW Yokomo wheel adaptors that he gave to me also.
- The 5-link arms came from a converted JRX2 truck that I brought from the States purely for its good condition chassis (which ended up not being used for the shelfer build)
- & the gearbox internals & steering arms are parts taken from an LXT that fellow member 'YZ-10' had parted out.... the gearbox yeilded a nice surprise in the form of a ballraced diff gear... I had brought one of these NIP... but i'm not going to need it now!

I'm hoping that I will have enough spares left over for this build for another 'good' build that will use up the remainder of my new/unused parts - and another rough runner, both of which will probably be sold on?

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Its nice to have a decent 1hr lunchbreak - just been polishing up my rusty old hinge pins for this build;

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

when ya staring the build dan, cant wait :D

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Dan that X2 of yours is damn fine sir. Vintage Losi's are a class act.

I love em!
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Awesome job!! The car looks great! Thank god this is a old post and
you've had the parts for a while . Because at first I said NOOOOOOOO!!
How did I miss that deal on ebay! (Ive been looking for Jrx Pro's) :lol:
Great job!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Joe P wrote:Awesome job!! The car looks great! Thank god this is a old post and
you've had the parts for a while . Because at first I said NOOOOOOOO!!
How did I miss that deal on ebay! (Ive been looking for Jrx Pro's) :lol:
Great job!
I've had most of these parts for ages... to be honest I would have missed the big LOT from Holland (which included the JRX Pro) if it wasn't for a 'heads-up' from a member on this forum - I think it may have been Jason (J.M)?

Did a bit more on this runner car last night;

Shock re-built with new cartridges - had real trouble with one of the front shocks which just kept leaking so swapped out the body for another one which was fine... seems poor tolerance in the maching of the internal thread may have been the problem? - seem to remember something similar with one of the NIP bodies on the shelfer car?

Diff re-assembled to my usual methods (honed plates/polished thrust plate, white grease on diff balls, black grease on thrust) & cleaned gearbox parts reassembled;

(note trimmed ribs from top of housing - this was a part from my mates original JRX2 that his dad had modified)

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Good progress Dan :D

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

jamin wrote:Good progress Dan :D
Yes - the 'fiddly' bits are done - the rest of the car should just fall together :D

Although I might re-do the shocks - despite the racing the CR2, i'd completely fogotten the technique of filling these Losi shocks! :roll:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Well it didn't quite 'drop' together as i'd hoped & there's still a few bits to finish off before this mish-mash of a JRX2 hits the track (want to replace all the ball cups for RPM ones, re-fill front shocks, glue on tyres etc)... but its pretty much complete;

A few of the nice bits i've incorperated into this build, including the RW/Wasp racing Yokomo wheel adaptors that will let me 2.2" rubber;

Shell is from the 'Dutch' JRX2 - its well worn, but I kinda like it that way, I will probably replace it with a repro... or even the original shell & wing that I already have!

The craze BITD was to run your wing super high on its wire mount 8)

2.2 Yokomo low offset wheels work great on the rear - just enough clearance to the trailing arm/lower shock mount. The J.C fronts are cut down 4wd fronts - the mounts could be flipped to get the correct track width as I think they were originally designed for the dished Yokomo rims.

13.5 power at the moment - may increase the motor power depending upon how it goes... I have a dual plate slipper (had to ream out the case to get the back plate to work without binding) & a ball raced diff gear, so hopefully we'll be able to get more speed out it without the gears turning to mush (I must admit i'm a little wary after Mytimac's advise in another thread)

Oh... & while I was rumaging through the miriad of spares/old parts I spotted this variation in the output gears - anyone know if the hollowed out gear is a Losi part or one from an aftermarket manufacturer e.g Thorp?

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

That is a Losi gear
You have gears from a3024 "Low Friction Trans Gear Set"
http://vintagelosi.com/3000_Pre_XX_Parts.html#24

This might be reason your slipper back was binding. They revised the backplate later in production. While it only mentions the retrofit case, it might also be applicable to the original case. Not 100% sure though.
http://vintagelosi.com/Manuals_files/Slipper%20update.jpg
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

mytimac wrote:That is a Losi gear
You have gears from a3024 "Low Friction Trans Gear Set"
http://vintagelosi.com/3000_Pre_XX_Parts.html#24

This might be reason your slipper back was binding. They revised the backplate later in production. While it only mentions the retrofit case, it might also be applicable to the original case. Not 100% sure though.
http://vintagelosi.com/Manuals_files/Slipper%20update.jpg
Cool - thanks for the i.d on the low friction gear, i'm guessing that they are not stronger than the original parts?

The problem I had with the slipper back plate was with the hole in the casing wasn't big enough to accept the slipper back plate (mine was the original version that doesn't need the spacer) - this is a pic I've just found in the Losi Variations thread.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Wow! I ran this old car last night during the practice session at my local off road club!

I had previously done a couple of shakedown laps at my on-road club last Friday & immediately realised that there were a few tweeks that were needed to be made, the car was rolling alot from the rear causing the inside front wheel to lift through corners.

So with some stiffer rear springs, rebuilt front shocks with increased damping & limiters removed & some lead weights added inside & ontop of the front bulkhead - I took to the track at Silverstone RC Model Car Club, with only a 13.5 BL motor it was rather slow down the long straight but it was simply lovely to drive through the infeild & jumped flat & level over the ramps, meaning I could carve some pretty decent lap times.

My friend was there who had donated a few of the parts that went into this car - the chassis plate, wheels adaptors, gearbox case & a few other parts all came from his own JRX2 from the late 80s so I let him have a go too, swapping transmitters of his brand new Kyosho RB6, I let him go first with the JRX2 & I followed with the 6.5 BL equipped Kyosho, we are both at a similar level skill-wise & we were both 'green' to each others cars, but I actually struggled a little to keep up, down the straight I could obviously just blast past but I hung back for fear of not making a clean pass & breaking the RB6. Suffice to say there were massive smiles all round afterwards :D

minreg
Approved Member

Post by minreg »

That is a good looking buggy. Is there a "Dutch" version body shell?

sludgeguts
Approved Member

Post by sludgeguts »

Great work Dan. Love the JRX2. Infact this thread has inspired me to dig out my JRX Pro and get stuck in on it :D