My Vintage Losi Stash & Build Thread *5-Link Build No.3!*

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

License2iLL
Approved Member

Re: My Vintage Losi 'Stash' & Build Thread *Vid added on Pg.

Post by License2iLL »

DerbyDan wrote:Ooops!

[email protected] you have some brass ones! On an 8.5 ! ! But I have to say I totally understand how you feel...i went with 17.5 to stay on "safe" side as well on my modern jrx2 runner as welll and Ive beej inching in the more aggressive direction too....the lrm is holding up just fine! !

Im running a modern rc10 b4 dual faced slipper clutch...it adjusts well...in an effort to prevent an ooops moment.
It is unbeleivable fun the 5 link on rough grass is like chewing gum to it...ive been stepping up to steeper pinions slowly but youve inspired me to go full tilt.

Yes I had to open up the tran case just a little for the clutch disc to bottom out sorta speak.

What are you using as external clutch.?..in theory and properly adjusted you should never break the lrm with an external clutch.

Before I forget...what a truly beautiful queen build...I loved its coloring. A true blue shelf'er ...ive got my original to restore too. But for now my modernized runner has me hooked. Ill be picking 13.5 soon!!
Glad to be back in this hobby so many many years later. To see new things and to recollect on ALL cool vintage models!
As well as to BUILD :
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=27591
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33429

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Sorry License2ill - i've just seen your reply.

Yes the JRX2 is an absolute blast on grass - so predicatable & stable, especially when things get greasy/loose...

My car is fitted with the twin-disc clutch from the XXX/late XX utilising the extended 'knuckle' back plate rather than using a seperate spacer - so basically a similar set-up to your B4 arrangement. Its strange actually, as it's set quite loose, certainly there's no chance of a wheelie from a standing start... but thats just the problem which brushless, there's so much torque you can induce a wheelie by punching the throttle but whilst you are already moving at quite a pace :| -- so driving at 1/3rd throttle down the straight - then hit full throttle & the car wheelies given the grip!

I guess to get a full season of racing the JRX2 with an 8.5 before the diff gear gave up, isn't too bad? Though i'm hoping the combination of the Thorpe diff & layshaft gears combined with the slipper should provide better reliability? As most people in 2wd mod run either 7 or 6.5s i'm actually quite tempted to go up even more on the motor, the chassis could take it at least!

P.S; Thanks for the nice comments regarding the shelfer car - it now wears the yellow wheels which tie-in better with the shell than the hot-red ones.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Added some yellow NIP wheels a while ago to my shelfer car - I think they work much better with the paint scheme than the 'hot' red ones I first fitted... Took the car out of its dust-proof bag over the Christmas break & decided to take some pics in the winter sun.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Stunning Dan! Love it. The Jrx2 is probably the only Losi I really want in my collection now - super job!

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Very, very nice! :D
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

DerbyDan wrote:Added some yellow NIP wheels a while ago to my shelfer car - I think they work much better with the paint scheme than the 'hot' red ones I first fitted... Took the car out of its dust-proof bag over the Christmas break & decided to take some pics in the winter sun.

Like that a lot-
I might have to use the yellow rims on my JRX-Proformanananance kit now. I didn't even think of the yellow wheels :oops:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

8)

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Thanks guys - can't believe its already been a couple of years since I built this!

@ Ben, yes its the one that started it all for Losi - & therefore its a must-have for Losi fans like ourselves :wink:

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

DerbyDan wrote:Thanks guys - can't believe its already been a couple of years since I built this!

@ Ben, yes its the one that started it all for Losi - & therefore its a must-have for Losi fans like ourselves :wink:
There was me thinking that I was 1.5 projects away from being done :lol: :roll:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

A short while ago I passed the original new & un-cut Losi JRX2 shell that I had to Steve Haskins of Penguin Custom Bodyshells for reproduction - unfortunately in the process of making the mold the old shell is destroyed, but as this was already cracked (below the cut-line) & was generally scuffed through storage, I wasn't too upset. In return I got a pair of the repro shells, made from the new mold.

On reciept of my new reproduced shells I promised Steve that I'd spray up one of the shells so that he can use the photos for his adverts on ebay... as it happens I also desperately needed a new shell for my runner JRX2. I know its not the most original paint scheme but I decided to go for the box-art design, simply because I really like it :D Here are the fruits of my labour - mounted pics are displayed on my new-built car.....

Masking out.... its always tricky masking out symetrical/geometric designs as they need to be spot-on or else its obvious if something is not quite even side-to-side, I found the job on this shell quite tricky! Certainly took longer to mask than it did to paint!

Part way through painting - the red is Tamiya PS-60 Mica Red which has a slight metallic 'flip' - I really like it!

I brought some repro decals to finish the shell off - but on arrival it was apparent that they were larger in scale compared with the (presumably original) stickers on the old shell... & the MrLexan decals that I used on the 'Proformance Kit' style shell - as it happens, a week or so later a set of original decals popped up for sale over on Oople so I brought them - here they are along side the ebay repro ones (I must admit the colour & printing quality is good - its just the scale is right off!)

So I used the original Losi decals on this shell;

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I like that...nice contrasting colors, bold & simple but effective paint scheme, not too busy. Works well with the stickers & wheel colors, too.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Super job, I love this Jrx! The new shell looks waaaaaay cool - great that you donated the original for the greater good! Such an iconic car and I just love the stance, looks really mean!

Beaker1024

Post by Beaker1024 »

What an amazing job with masking off the shell for that paint job! I am not brave enough to venture outside of using vinyl precut masks. Looks really sharp!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

As LosiXXkid has pointed out - there's not alot going on here in the Losi section... so thought i'd share my recent exploits with two of my Losi cars;

I decided to enter the IconicRC revival meeting which happened yesterday (27th July). Now the racing was split into seperate catagories depending upon ability (amateur or pro ~ 'amateur' being aimed at the complete novice to racing), 2wd or 4wd & then age bracket... these being split into three 79~88, 89~93 & 94~98 - there was also one-off monster truck & Tamiya Wheelie car races. So I had to choose which of my runner/racers I wanted to enter, I've recently built & successfully raced a ProCat.... but with only two meetings under its belt I wanted to run something that has known durability.... my JRX2 (pre 88) that I raced last year & the XX (94-98) from the 2012 season were the perfect candidates!

Both cars had already been serviced with refreshed gearboxes/diffs but had been stripped of their electrics - so with electrics installed & a new painted shell for the JRX2 I was ready to go!

The JRX2 is still running the 8.5 Orion Vortex BL motor - but the venerable LRP Sphere I was using last year is currently residing in the ProCat, I managed to pick-up a cheap hardly used LRP 'Spin' Pro ESC off ebay for £20 - i'd not heard of this speedo before but it is marketed as an upgrade to the items that come in an RTR car - but with a motor limit of 5.5 its perfect for the Losi! The XX is running a 12t Triple brushed Corally spec motor (Left over from the STCC series) matched up with the old LRP ICS digital that was first fitted in my original Losi XX BITD!

New body for the JRX2 mounted & stickered up - posing with the new-build shelf car;

Anyway to cut a long race-day story short (& it was a long day - not helped by race control computer issues) I managed to finish 1st O/A in the 79~88 class with the JRX2 & runner up in close fought battle in the 94~98 2wd class. The top two in each class then qualified to go onto a champion-of-champions final (there were individual finals for 2wd & 4wd).... so I had qualified both cars into the same final! - I opted to run the JRX2, which being in the oldest catagory gave me pole position.... the newer cars given a handicap by having to start the race further around the track.... knowing that my JRX2 had been going only about 1/2 lap slower than my XX all day - I knew that I was in with a chance of the win.... & so it proved!

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Nice job - Congrats :!: