So many questions

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

voodoolite

So many questions

Post by voodoolite »

Hello everyone I am new to the RC world and have just purchased a an old RC10T from craigslist.

My plan is to drive it around the house and local track. I may want to enter into some local races depend how much I like it.

I am guessing that I will need to restore it but I do not know with what parts. From what I have read I should upgrade the sealth to one from RPM, replace all the bearings and upgrade to brushless. Are there specific parts/brands that I should look for getting this parts? One thing I notice that most RC10Ts that I see have white parts were as mine has blue.

I tried the search but I really do not even now where to start.

Here are some pics of my RC10T

fatboycarney

Re: So many questions

Post by fatboycarney »

Welcome voodoolite. you should likely check out my thread as I am a newbie to.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23341

The guys here have been awesome answering all my newbie questions and you should gain a lot of beginner knowledge reading through that thread then you can ask more specific questions to your rebuild

badattitude
Approved Member

Post by badattitude »

You have the nice "team" shocks.

Your parts are blue becasue the previous owner died them that color. They were probally white when new.

You have the "skinny" front truck tires. They are harder to find but are good for racing.

Your stealth tranny should be fine. It's a good design.

It also looks like you have RPM front and rear arms.

Nice truck, have fun with it!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

You don't necessarily have to replace the bearings. Only if they are worn out and wobble. I'd definitely keep the Stealth tranny and spend money somewhere else on the truck. As for brushless it is much more convenient, but if you're just getting into it I'd wait since it looks like that Novak esc looks to be in good shape.

That truck looks to be pretty well taken care of and outfitted nicely. Have you run it with that motor in it yet? If so, how'd it do?
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

I agree with above posts. I would keep the stealth and the brushed steup for now. Instead, put your money into a LiPO battery and a low voltage cutoff module. A new body and some new tires. Try that until the motor burns out and then upgrade to BL then. Of course that is just my opinion. It is ALL up to you!

Otherwise it looks like a great truck. Have fun!
"It's not broken, it's British!"

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

If you are interested in racing, there are a few things to know to make your ventures fruitful. First, make sure the truck is in good mechanical condition to minimize DNF's. Second make sure you have the proper tires, and inserts. This is the single biggest part of properly setting your car up. Third, practice and ask questions of your fellow racers regarding setup, track etiquette, and how the races are run at your local track. Fourth, be persistent. I have helped countless #'s of newbies over the last 20+years, and you can expect at least 4-5 racedays before you really get the bugs worked out, are comfortable on the track, and can have a full "uneventfull" raceday under your belt. Lastly try your best to have fun with it. -Jeff

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I was in sort of a similar boat because I was re-entering the world of RC after more than 20 years out of the hobby. Everything had changed so I really didn't know anything anymore.

This place is an absolutely amazing resource and all you need to do is read, read, read. It's likely that the majority of your questions have already been answered here in one way or another.

What I would do is this:

1. Start out by looking at what other people have in their cars. Keep in mind that the RC10T and RC10 buggy share some of their basic running gear, really only the nose and arms / turnbuckles etc. are different.

2. Run your truck with a stock motor, battery and basic radio. No need to spend a lot until you get comfortable with what it can do and you figure out if you like the hobby or not.

3. If you get addicted (like you probably will), start with the easy upgrades: battery, ESC, motor. These are bolt in parts which will get you a lot more bang for not a lot of dollars (in general) and you can go from there. I would recommend Gens Ace Lipo batteries as they are cheap, but great batteries (see Hobbypartz.com). As for ESC and motor, its a matter of personal preference but in general these days, a brushless motor is really great for speed and because they are maintenance free compared to the old brushed motors. I personally have a Castle Mamba Max Pro and their 4600 kv motor. Its a potent quality setup, but didn't cost an arm and leg either.

Once you've done these things you'll get a better flavor for what the hobby is all about and you can start learning about your amazing new truck!

Good luck
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

shane
Approved Member

Post by shane »

Mr. voodoolite,
You are new to the hobby and your first rc purchase is a rc10t ..AND you found this board and posted on it?!...I think you are already addicted :mrgreen:
Welcome and nice truck!

voodoolite

Post by voodoolite »

Thank you everyone for your help.

I have to decide to leave it how it is for now until I get use to then slow upgrade it :)