Kyosho Rocky

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kaz_z
Approved Member

Kyosho Rocky

Post by kaz_z »

Just receive this Rocky today, the condition is good, minor scratches on the bottom, front oil shocks leak, no body shell, missing the resistor cover, not sure if any other parts are missing. The best part is the wheels, no chips at all , need to clean this chassis and install ball bearings. I'm still hesitating on the Rocky body shell by TBG, was wondering if anyone here has an original one that is in good condition willing to let go, I'm also looking for a 18t chain pulley as mine came with a 18t front and 19t rear....
Attachments
IMG-20110818-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20110818-WA0000.jpg

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Rocky

Post by tim.sanderson »

Nice! I picked up a nice Rocky several months ago. Mine has no body either. One day I'll most likely pick up a TBG repro.

If it's anything like the Optima series cars, you could run different sized pulleys front and rear for an 'overdrive' effect. Although, usually the larger tooth pulley goes on the front (I think). I'm not sure if the Rocky had this feature.

HIPMIESTER

Post by HIPMIESTER »

I ordered a TGB body and wing kit for mine the other day have'nt got it in yet but I will let you know how it works out .

HIPMIESTER

Post by HIPMIESTER »

I just checked my rocky and it has a 19 on the rear and a 18 on the front too so it's got to be stock that way cause mine has never been touched.

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

If built per the manual, the Rocky should have 18 tooth sprockets in both the front and rear. The 19 tooth sprocket could be placed in the front or rear to bias the power accordingly.

kaz_z
Approved Member

Post by kaz_z »

Thanks hip meister.
Yes the rocky suppose to be build with 18t pulley front and back base on manual.
Ok I contacted marwan asking whether he has plan for rocky soon, and he said no :(
On a side note, he's making ot 66 :)

kaz_z
Approved Member

Post by kaz_z »

So have you guys bought or receive your Rocky shell from tbg?

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

Nope, I haven't. Don't think I will in the foreseeable future. One day, perhaps.

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

What is the problem with a TBG shell ???????

Please Explain!!!!
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Mad Racer wrote:What is the problem with a TBG shell ???????

Please Explain!!!!
The criticisms I've seen more than a few times are that they are quite thin in places, and probably good for a shelfer but maybe not durable enough for a runner. I don't have experience with TBG bodies myself, but that's what I've heard numerous times.

The same company makes carbon fiber parts for the Optima, like the radio plate and shock towers, and the quality has been lacking; the plate too thin and the shock towers had varying thickness instead of being a uniform thickness. Again, what I remember reading and seeing, not personal experience.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

kaz_z
Approved Member

Post by kaz_z »

I had purchase tbg gallop wing and driver, thickness was ok but the details was just a let down, i'm buying from them only as last resort

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Sorry i totally disagree.

I have over 25 of his shells with only one problem ( was too thin on the sides ) Told him about it . He redesigned it and made a new batch and sent 2 free ones to me.

If it's a shelfer buy a OME shell and pay for it.

He makes his shells to run not to collect dust. Yes they not 100% in sharpness but not too far off. Yes the cut out lines are faint but are there. You do need to make window masks but that's not hard. All his shells now come with overspray film .If for a runner TBG will give you a option.

TBG has just purchased a new vacume forming machine and always tries to improve .

I have just got my Avante undertray for my new Avanti and once painted i can't tell the difference .

Can't comment on their carbon products but do know it's a friend of his not Jonathon himself.

Got a problem e mail him and he will fix it. Customer service is 2nd too none.
His products are cheap too. What more can you ask .. Post is slow but that is Canada for you.

At the end of the day it's your money!!!

Mark
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

kaz_z
Approved Member

Post by kaz_z »

My friends bought Avante shell from tbg before the re release, it came in shorter than original and doesn't fit right, then they improve and came out with avante version 2, if they offer customer who has bought their first version for free or at least contact these customers to arrange for special purchase price, then that is customer service second to none IMO, and whether his price is cheap or not, we can agree to disagree :) And be it runner or shelfer, everyone has their own expectation, afterall, it's your money!!! :) I just wanna see review of their Rocky shell before buying it, and hopefully they will improve to at least Marwan or Kamtec standard. Anyway I have not seen any nip original Rocky shell for sale yet since i got my rocky chassis.Have you? Anyway its good that you're happy with their products :) Afterall this hobby is suppose to make you happy right?

Just to clarify, I have nothing against TBG, its just my personal experience and information from my fellow collector friends. And their carbon product is thin, I have an Optima top deck from them, it doesn't matter if its by his friends or Jonathan himself, if its sold under TBG, its TBG. Maybe one day I'll just go ahead and order the rocky shell from them, but at the moment i'll just wait. :wink: