need to vent

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SRTracer121
Approved Member

need to vent

Post by SRTracer121 »

ok so i like to think im pretty slick when it comes to wrenching on rc's and up until this morning ive pretty much been right (that trx nitro hawk from hell excluded) bt i recently picked up an OCM kaos pro truggy and since the tear down ive come to hate everything about it. it is my enemy! :evil: the car is pure impossibility. it was imposible to tear down because every screw was thread locked in with crap tons of the stuff. the screws themselves were 2mm hex button heads which strip if you look at them wrong. Cleaning it almost seemed impossible at times as well. the rear diff had leaked and all of it had dried up so that was a struggle through most of the night. then when i started re-assembly i discovered a whole host of issues and most of them stemmed from ocm's piss poor plastic mold Q/c. thats going to require the finisher (the last word in problem parts, my dremal)

oh and parts are impossible to find online as well but im very fortunate that this one came with about $300 in nip parts but none of the ones ill likely need like diff pinion and ring gears, front uprights, spare bearings and hardware, or even the wheel nuts.

to top all this off im ambidextrous but have nasty deep cuts on bothe my left and right thumb and pointers. and as an added bonus none of my racers are ready so ill be doing track prep and going home so no blowing off steam on the driverstand either.

not a good night for me. i need a beer or maybe some pot (im saying this at 0530 mind you) :?

mopar marv

Re: need to vent

Post by mopar marv »

I think everyone has an RC that they love to hate. Mine is my Savage 21.

My main complaint is that I have never managed to drive the pile of crap more than thirty feet before something blew up or broke! So it was drive thirty feet,work on it for a week and repeat . After a few months of that I said enough of this,threw the pieces in a box and I haven't even looked at it in three years.

After all of the " Savages are tanks" hype, that I read for months before I bought the truck, I must say that I will never buy another HPI product.
It was a total pain in the butt to work on. And I hate what passes for a diffie in the Savages. The TVPs are softer than half melted butter. And in my opinion the factory electronics have to be the cheapest crap I have ever encountered.

After five years of extreme torture, my twenty year old Traxxas Hawk2 stadium truck hasn't given me a quarter of the amount of grief that my Savage has.
The Manic Mechanic

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

well i actually figured it out, it was the pinion gear, its not an ocm part or atleast not one for this truck. unfortunately even though ive got 10,000 parts for it i dont have a spare gear set :roll: but the bright side, mugen mbx5t sets are a drop in so ill have to buy a full ring/pinion set.

it wasn't me or ocm, its someone else's fault (always good when you can point the finger at someone right?)

thank god my vintage trx cars dont give me this much grief... oh wait, there was that nitro hawk that should have been left dead... and now that ive said my cars dont give me crap guess who's gonna dnf this week? :lol:

[youtube]mC-mO-WtVJo[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-mO-WtVJo

mopar marv

Post by mopar marv »

Glad to hear you got it figured out.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a TRX dnf. They are already battle tested and race proven.

I wish I could say the same for my Savage,lol.

Just out of curiousity what ever became of the dreaded nitro Hawk? Did you ever get it back together?
The Manic Mechanic

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

sold the nitro hawk as parts for almost as much as i bought it for. lost about 100 on leak plugging fixes from p/s pinch to engine refresh, new hardware, new driveline parts, etc. kept most of that stuff though and sold the bear bones parts

it looked so good but i just couldnt see leaving it a shelfer but didnt want to start pouring money in it when i knew how much better the gt is.

___

ive had hit and miss luck with hpi stuff. the early rs4 based cars are all a+++++ in my book but some of their other stuff just isnt my cup of tea ya know? had the e-savy for a brief time and it didnt do anything for me. infact i sold that pretty quickly too and took a big loss on it as well. but then again i also had a pair of revos that i hated and a mini revo/slash hybrid that was a suck hole.

oh and i can unfurl a ball bearing and snap the claw off a hammer, trust me, i can dnf a traxxas vintage racer :wink:

mopar marv

Post by mopar marv »

I've got to be fair and say that my pile of Savage parts[lol] is the only HPI product that I have tried. But if this pile of junk is any example of the quality of HPI's stuff, I ain't buying any more of it.

I've seen a couple of wicked E-Savages with brush-less systems. And they were crazy fast,no doubt. And I've seen some wicked freaky fast Fords too but I'd rather shoot myself in the foot before I ever own another Ford product and I pretty much feel the same about ever owning another Savage.
My first Traxxas Hawk was as brittle as a cheap wine glass but I would rather have ten just like it than try fixing my Savage one more time. :lol: :lol:

Hmm,I was thinking that if you still had the Nitro Hawk and were still not having any luck with it, that maybe I could get you to work it into our deal for the Hawk and the Sledgehammer. I've got a Hawk and I've had both the white and black versions of the Hawk2 but I've never messed with a Nitro Hawk. But no worries,I'll find one sooner or later.

I'll shoot ya a PM about the Hawk/ Hammer deal in a bit.
The Manic Mechanic