My gold pan [Runner Build]

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

teman
Approved Member

Re: My gold pan [Runner Build]

Post by teman »

The C2 was a gift, I bought the rest of the parts for it to restore it to it's former glory. I hate the zip tie deal, but I'm not sure how else to attach it to the esc? The heat sinks are from a Novak t4, but I need a 6 fin piece on the right side. I tested last night, works great and doesn't even get hot :mrgreen: I don't believe it has a motor limit, so it will come in handy.

The motor was cheeep, came from a RTR b4 special edition so if I wreck it in testing FDRs, no big deal. I have to take it easy on it though, the trans is the only 1 I have. The motor should arrive this week, hopefully I'll get some more dirt time in this weekend :twisted:
-Kevin
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Running better with the temporary 15t motor, just a few street runs at this point on the old school foams that came with the car. It seems to run pretty good, sometime this week I'll get more dirt time in :mrgreen:

I encountered some radio glitches, but I think I can sort that out one way or another.

The 6-gear is running much smoother mainly due to the bearings - I think maybe the bushings were a bit too worn out. I installed the diffs, drive gears and out drive bearings minus the idler gear sets. I have the bearings for the idlers, but I didn't have the allen wrench to swap them at the time. The bearings for the front wheels and in the rear hubs are already on the buggy. :D Not bad progress, but I need those idler bushings out asap :mrgreen:
-Kevin
Photo08012136.jpg
Photo08012158.jpg
Photo08012230.jpg
Photo08012155.jpg
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Just about everything I need for resto is in transit *ahem* UN-DYED white parts :D Finally, the stupid looking black dyed parts will be gone - YEAH :mrgreen: At this point the white bulkhead, battery cup, antennae mount, trans brace is replaced. The main items I'm waiting on are the rear a-arms, rear shock tower and tranny case. I'll post photos when everything is swapped. 8)
-Kevin
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

It turned out most of the replacements parts were like new or new with the exception of the arms, but I think they could be cleaned up so everything will look more uniform. There still is a few I'd like to replace, but all the major items are taken care of - I even have an original servo horn :mrgreen:

I was messing with the motor and gearing this weekend, currently I'm @ 48p 87t/22t and it runs pretty good. I think I could push a tooth or 2 on the pinion, but I don't want to press my luck. Working on the body vinyls this week so some nicer photos in dirt and possibly a vid coming if it ever stops raining :wink:
-Kevin
Photo08151920.jpg
Photo08151936.jpg
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Went down to the trails today with the buggy for more test runs, so I shot a vid to share :mrgreen: It ran ok again, but I think it needs to run a bit faster :wink: The body you see is what came with the car so it's the beater body at the moment :oops: Comments/suggestions are always appreciated.
-Kevin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqqA76O5gPI
-Kevin

ImminentFailure

Post by ImminentFailure »

That's a sweet looking spot to run man!

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Yeah it is I dig it alot, close to my house also :mrgreen:

Hopefully my aluminum steering BB set-up will arrive today, I'm told it a sassy chassis make? I bought the RPM drag link to go with it, should be a considerable upgrade from stock.

For S&G's I bought a hump 7cell 3300 nimh haha - the novak can handle 7cells so I figured why not? :wink: I've never ran 7cell, so it will be interesting to see how much faster it goes. I have almost all bearings in the transmission so I think I should be good there. I have a few 48p pinions and spurs stock piled now assuming I'll have a drastic gear change due to the extra voltage. I have no idea how small of a pinion, I'll just have to use the 5 sec hot touch technique :roll: If I can get back down to the trails tonight I'll shoot another vid - maybe with jumps :D
-Kevin
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

All things considered, the 7-cell test went pretty good and had a blast too. The stomping grounds were quite dry so there was lots of wheel spin and sliding around with all that juice (as you will see ) I used a 27t putnam pro, 87t spur and first a 19 then a 18t pinion. It's quite a bit faster now even though I'm adding a bit of weight in the process. I'm thinking some better tires would help some and if I can source just the right motor I'd be set :wink:

Vid from today - mostly fly bys and I hucked it off one jump at the end :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppSJCJmnbBw
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Too much to list in 1 post, but here's most of it...
the steering setup, some of the remaining WHITE parts I'm missing...AND... this original stealth mounting template :mrgreen:
Photo08232313_1.jpg
Photo08232319.jpg
Photo08232320.jpg
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Scored a pretty decent local parts lot along with another buggy (B3) so this will end up more of a shelfer and the B3 taking it's place as the runner. Among the (working) parts lot there was a nice Novak 410-M1c ESC and a nice Novak XXL 75mhz receiver so those went in the gold pan pretty quick :mrgreen: I dig the old school Novak stuff 8)

I finished off the steering upgrades with RPM ballcups and newer Associated turnbuckles. Oddly, the RPM drag link didn't seem to work - maybe it was for a T I don't know? I ended up rigging up my own custom drag link that seems to work a little better.

The next set of upgrade parts ended up being a white set of the long front a-arms. I haven't had the opportunity to test them out, but hopefully that will be soon :wink:

Last but not least, I won an auction for a decent white Andy's front bumper :twisted: More coming soon :D
-Kevin
P1010975.jpg
P1010977.jpg
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

P1010980.jpg
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I recently found a decent set of stock rims, the originals were painted black and peeling so they looked like... well y'know :roll:
The body is STILL unfinished so bare with me, it's getting there :oops:
P1010991.JPG
P1010992.JPG
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Finished the body vinyl graphics today, I think it came out pretty good all things considered. Everything you see is vinyl I typeset or drew then cut with the plotter minus the black back spray of course. This one was meant to be similar to the box art, but some things were changed to reduce complexity and the color scheme for personal preference. :mrgreen:

I have another body I'm working on too just for fun, but will be much more wild in comparison and the windows will be either clear or tinted. :wink:
-Kevin
P1010998.JPG
P1010999.JPG
-Kevin

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Looks very good! I like the colours and the end result! Wing needs something!

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Thanks, maybe 10hrs from start to finish :lol: The next one will be much cooler :wink:

I/we beat that black wing up pretty bad from jumping the B3 and need another now :oops: so I didn't bother with graphics. I agree with you though 100%.
-Kevin