engine temps for ae .15

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

airbats801
Approved Member

engine temps for ae .15

Post by airbats801 »

I'm beginning to think I might be running my engines a bit too hot. I've read all kinds of things that operating temps should be anywhere from 190 to 240.

I've got my engines running around 228 after a good run, I cant remember what idle is but I think it would cool down a bit. Both trucks have been running excellent, but I've been reading a lot of contradicting informatio on engine temps. Should I be running down around 200 after hard driving? I should also mention I have great smoke all the way through the power band.

I appreciate any tips. I didnt see much in the way of numbers on the ae 15 manual.

I also have a os 18cvrx im getting ready to use in my third truck aong with a brand new one, so any tips on how they like to run would be fantastic.

One other question I have is, I've read the rtr ae15 engines have a restrictor in the carb. Is this true?
2x rc10 A stamped, rc10t, rc18t, 3x rc10gt tamiya stuff - fox, lunchbox re-release, Custom chevy clod crawler, cc-01 pajero, 2x cc-01, kt full option, and 3 HL tanks. Looking for a rc250 and rc500

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Re: engine temps for ae .15

Post by SRTracer121 »

well first thing is, does it feel right because you tune by feel, smoke, sound, and the way the engine reacts, temps are secondary. on my os .15 im running around 200 after a bash session and about 220 after running wot on the oval for 4 minutes (5 if you count the time we waste waiting for the computer) but if your in the upper reaches thats not a problem as long as it feels right, if your that worried tho you can always bring down the hsn like 1/8th turn at or about,

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

225 is where 'most' engine manufacturers would want to see a motor run at...in that range anyway. You have good power and plenty of smoke you won't be hurting it too bad running it higher. Most of my AE .15 ran around 225 with good power and lasted what could be expected out of them and I've had some traxxas 2.5 not get up onto pipe til around 280 and run good. Some ofna motors in the big block area I've had run around 300 to get them to run right at all...to make good, even power anyway. Most of my OS run close to the 225 mark though so its not a hard rule...just a mark to shoot for. As long as you have a good trail of smoke you should be somewhat safe in the temps you are talkin about.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

airbats801
Approved Member

Post by airbats801 »

both have been running pretty much perfect, but I just wanted to make sure I was in the ball park.

I gotta get this os 18 figured out, gonna try getting it started at factory and go from there, but I think the clutch shoes are shot. engine seems to be pushing a lot of rpms with not much clutch bell action.
2x rc10 A stamped, rc10t, rc18t, 3x rc10gt tamiya stuff - fox, lunchbox re-release, Custom chevy clod crawler, cc-01 pajero, 2x cc-01, kt full option, and 3 HL tanks. Looking for a rc250 and rc500

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Your engine temp is fine, like the others have said! 220 to 240 is a good rule of thumb! You want your highest temp setting at the end of your tank, as they tend to run a little leaner towards empty! :wink: Never judge your tune by a trail of smoke, as this depends on the brand and type of fuel you are running! The fuel manufacturers never use the same blend or type of oils. Some brands (like my favorite Byron's) has very little smoke compared to others!

For the slipping, check diff and slipper settings and then if they are ok, change your shoes! I prefer Reebok! :lol: :roll: :oops: :| :mrgreen: Oh, BTW, make sure your shoes are in a clockwise direction. Another thing to check is your flywheel may need a new collet, or needs to be tightened!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

slotcarrod wrote:For the slipping, check diff and slipper settings and then if they are ok, change your shoes! I prefer Reebok! :lol: :roll: :oops: :| :mrgreen: Oh, BTW, make sure your shoes are in a clockwise direction. Another thing to check is your flywheel may need a new collet, or needs to be tightened!
Like Rod said but I prefer Nike :wink: . Another of my very first things I ever did with any of my gts was to get an MIP 4in1 clutch kit. Makes a ton of difference and a step to less maintenance and more run time.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!