got an old friend back, RC10gt

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SRTracer121
Approved Member

got an old friend back, RC10gt

Post by SRTracer121 »

i normally lurk in the vintage trx section so bear with me. i just (like literally 10 minutes ago) got one of my old rc10gt's back and its not good, its been so long since i had it but i know im missing a few things. i plan to partially restore this thing and run it like the good ole days so heres a quick picture of how it stands now, not good at all. :?

those rc10gt's were my all time favorite cars, they handled great and were an absolute blast to run and as tight as i am for cash this thing means too much to just let pass

heres some pics of "way back when" boy those trucks were great...

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/FieroMan121/rc10gt/P5260008.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/FieroMan121/rc10gt/P5260010.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/FieroMan121/big%20lot%20of%20stuff/P5250006.jpg

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Re: got an old friend back, RC10gt

Post by shirochanwrx »

That's great. You're in for a project from the looks of things!

I have two RC10GTs of the same vintage as yours, one standard (with those frickin' 1/4" rear axles) and one team car (with 3/16 MIPs). I ran the standard version a little and the team car got 98% built before my attention was directed elsewhere, for like 15 years...

...but I hear you, I am pretty excited to get them running again also, although I am considering going brushless so I can run it in my neighborhood without getting dirty looks. Like, a box-art 15 y/o RC10GT except brushless. Of course, I have like 5 projects to do before then, but man it is a cool ride.

Look forward to your progress.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

SRTracer121 wrote:i normally lurk in the vintage trx section so bear with me.
Welcome back from the dark side :mrgreen: .

J/K SRTracer but its good to see you around the associated side of things. You got a helluva project ahead of you with this. I've parted out better projects (as I should with about a literal ton of current ones) than this one but if you get to needing some stuff drop a line in the wanted section and I'm sure the few gt guys here on the forum can be somewhat helpful. Good luck.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

yeah the guy i got it from is a friend so im sure ill be hitting him up for bits and pieces and the gt's (tub and blue pan) have a solid following locally so i think ill be good on parts, i was thinking, i remember i traded the 2 of them for a megatech propulse of all things :x dont get me wrong that propulse was also a great lil buggy and it was only after i poured $$$ into that it was no longer fun. but boy was that a dumb trade.

im trying to find video of the blue one, i know ive got the video on my computer somewhere...

anyway i was looking over everything and im working out a plan, it needs 99% of the hardware and the other half of the motor mount to start with, ive got a set of gt shocks (with ft caps too) in one of my parts bins so im not worried about that, and i think i actually have a set of gt upright servo mounts for the throttle. without looking at the pile of parts im also missing a few turnbuckles but i may substitute them for those beefy trx steel ones, they are impossible to break and im betting ill lose the surrounding assembly's before those suckers break. (since i do plan to run this thing a lot)

i found a set of screws from tony screws for the later gt that i might jump on but i was thinking of taping the parts to use metric since all the rest of my stuff is metric already and would make life 10,000 times easier.

ramblings done for now. ive got toys to play with :mrgreen:

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

FOUND A VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBJud9bQ6mA

god does this bring back memories, this is why vintage rc is so awesome. gun to my head if i had to choose only 2 rc's in my collection to keep this would be one of them, then it would be a toss up between the 3 trx fiero's

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

for the lofty price of 40 bucks i got back the other gt, guy forgot the body and a few other things but the car is all there

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

broke down both cars (well atleast the parts that are assembled on the one) and have them soaking at this time an will leave them overnight,

now onto the engines. ive got 3 total, all technically cv15's (2 blue heads, black crankcases and 1 gold head, blue crankcase) and all 3 are all salvageable but all 3 have worn out p/s, 1 is still maybe worth a few rich tanks the other will be good as new after it gets re-sized by o.s.rocket and the other is trash because its got pretty severe gouges at the top, not worth pinching i think.

the diff in the assembled (well not anymore) gt was just about perfect from when i last set it because the guy who had it only ran it a few dozen times and i did a good job when last i rebuilt it. the other was in need of some love so i pulled it apart, both trannys were smooth tho and all of the cvds, hinge pins, bearings, and ball ends were in tip top shape.

i think what im going to do is make 1 really good car from the 2 like i did with my shelfer fiero then proceed from there to get it to race ready status

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Cool project. Glad to see another old GT coming back to life. 8)

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

got the parts cleaned up and im in the middle of polishing every single non-anodized metal piece and this saturday im sending out my p/s to be re-sized at o.s.rocket along with about another half dozen people's piston and sleeve sets from the track.

also getting ahead of myself but ive got a set of front tires ready, have the pipe picked out, and have plans for a wing 8)

gwandson

Post by gwandson »

Man you've been busy glad you got them back hate it was in a box though wish I had your time been stuck at work myself but did manage to get some work done on the rc10 still needs some work posted pic this morning have any luck on the gear boxes yet or has that stalled

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

didnt know you were on here! you tend to have lots of time when your in my boat :roll: i did see your update and just reply'd before going on here this morning. glad you got it looking respectable again. i found a set of sledge gearbox halves too :mrgreen:

edit: started polishing the front brace tubes, im using my screw gun like a lathe and running some real fine grit paper over it then going back over with rubbing compound, may use a stronger polishing compound insted tho, the shine isnt quite bling enough for me yet

im also seriously considering taking the anodizing off the chassis tub (using the oven cleaner method) and polishing that as well.

can you tell i did the chrome polishing in the dorm at basic training? :p

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

well i locked myself in, flipped on scrubs season 4 (yes, i am a hardcore scrubs fan) and got about halfway done, got ahead of myself in a few spots tho which means about 50% of that stuff needs to come off again :x

i did mix screw sizes, we'll see how well it works out the first time i plow into turn 3 and break something :twisted: but i tried to use metric in high maintenance areas and sae standard in low maintenance spots and where they thread into metal (my junk tap and dye set was beat by ae metal)

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

finished as far s i feel like going till i get the p/s re-sized and the engine back together, need to shim the tranny but thats no biggie, ill just leave myself a post-it note :p

for now, stock springs and oil so i have a base to dial in the car from

gwandson

Post by gwandson »

looking good, pretty fast work getting that back together. glad you found some gearboxes i was looking for ya some

metallicats33
Approved Member

Post by metallicats33 »

looking good. What body are you going to use? It would look killer with a buggy body... does anyone even make one that would fit?