Chassis ID please.

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CAT3K
Approved Member

Chassis ID please.

Post by CAT3K »

Have any of you seen a chassis of this type before? I bought it recently thinking it was from a Fireblade 2000. But it's quite different, i'm pretty sure it's from a Schumacher though.

This is the base of the chassis next to a standard Fireblade 2000 one (unknown one on right)

This is the top deck next to a standard Firebladeone (Unknown one on right)

You might notice the rear shock mount is odd, i've never seen one like it. It slides over the rear top deck and is screwed onto it. Also the base plate has different gearbox mounting, i've no gearboxes that will fit it.

Hope someone can shed some light on it for me.

Paul.

jeroen206
Approved Member

Re: Chassis ID please.

Post by jeroen206 »

Never seen it before !!!

Looks like a prototype chassis from a car between cougar 95 team and the fireblade 2000.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Ditto. Check AE or Losi gearboxes. -Jeff

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Jay Dub wrote:Ditto. Check AE or Losi gearboxes. -Jeff
Thanks, is there any reason you suggest AE or Losi? I've only got a couple of B4 boxes here, are there any models you can think of in particular that you think might fit?

I'd quite like to build this up now, so hoping someone can suggest a suitable box for it :)

Thanks
Paul.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Well, this looks to be a pre-production prototype of some sort. I would imagine when Schumacher was working on it they would have used a readily available gearbox for testing before investing time and money in tooling. I should think to look at a gen 1 stealth or a Losi tranny from late 80's to 90 ish. Or any other gear drive tranny from that era for that matter. I was a driver for them during those years, but the 2000 series of cars were a surprise to us US drivers. I remember seing magazine pics of the prototypes before they told us they were working on anything :roll: . The only 2000's we ever saw were production models. cool find though. One thing that is odd however is that it has the steel suspension brackets which were a latter addition (if memory serves. -Jeff

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Thanks Jeff, I'll keep a look out for a ae gearbox, i've tried it with original cougar, cougar 2 and fireblade gearboxes (no cougar 95 or 2000 here :( ) I may be able to get a fireblade box to fit with a bit of modification.

The steel suspension bracket has "3 degree toe in" stamped on it, so i'm not sure if this was borrowed from something else.

Paul.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Interesting thread! Was there a truck version of the fireblade...maybe that had a different gearbox, like an evolution?
I think there was a USA version with different shock setup also, but don't think that was differnt transmission-wise?

Maybe Jeroen206 can shed some light... or you could try contacting Shumacher directly

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Well, it looks to me like a pre-production of one of the later cars (because of the steel suspension mounts. I would bet one of the original 2000 series trannies would fit. See if another member here will let you borrow. -Jeff

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

and you're prob'ly right too. I was just tossing in ideas

jeroen206
Approved Member

Post by jeroen206 »

Jay Dub wrote:Well, it looks to me like a pre-production of one of the later cars (because of the steel suspension mounts. I would bet one of the original 2000 series trannies would fit. See if another member here will let you borrow. -Jeff

moozo
Approved Member

Post by moozo »

I have both cougar and fireblade 2000 tranny casings, your more than welcome to try them Paul, let me know, cheers Mick

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

I've been playing with my gearboxes this afternoon and the fireblade 2000 box does fit, but without the rear shock mount attached.

If i dremeled the excess mounting points on the top of the box it could be made to work with the unusual shock mount. I would also have to remove about 5mm of material at the front of the box so it can fit underneath the top deck. The long metal suspension mount could be tricky though, that gets in the way of fitting the gearbox. If i remove some material from the base of the box it would clear ok maybe, or i could use some normal plastic pivot blocks instead and there would be no issue.

Fireblade 2000 wishbones do not fit however, they're slightly too wide for the pivot blocks.

I think the Cougar 2000 gearbox might be a better fit looking at your pictures Jeroen, it seems to have a lot less bulk than the fireblade one.

Thanks for the offer by the way Mick, i might take you up on that if i can't find anything suitable in my parts box :)

Paul.

moozo
Approved Member

Post by moozo »

Paul also got some cougar 95/2000 rear wishbones, let me know mate,
Also looking at the last pic would the motor guard fit????

Mick

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

moozo wrote:Also looking at the last pic would the motor guard fit????

Mick
The gearbox would move forward if i removed the extra gearbox fixings from the front of the casing, i'm pretty sure the whole lot would fit then and allow the motor guard to fit normally (hopefully)

I'm not going to use this particular fireblade gearbox as it's from my 2000 runner, but i think i have a spare casing somewhere that i can chop up.

I've emailed Schumacher to see if they can shed some more light on it for me, so with luck i might get some answers on what it is/was going to be.

Paul.

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

I got a reply from Schumacher!

According to Mark Marshall it's a Cougar 2000 prototype that was never released. So it looks like i'm going to have to keep an eye out for some parts to try and complete it :)

Paul.