Lazer ZX-5

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sneako43
Approved Member

Lazer ZX-5

Post by sneako43 »

I know it's not vintage and it's an RTR but is it a deal at just $200.00 or is it only a toy? I like the fact that is comes equipped with full bearings and slipper. The ability to run stick picks (not saddles) is a big plus, too.

I don't race. I do run at a track though. I've been thinking about picking up a 4WD for some time, just curious if this would be a decent buggy to run.

Also, I see that Amain has them on backorder...an omen that it will soon be replaced or a sign of how popular the buggy is?
SC10 -- FT B4.1

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Re: Lazer ZX-5

Post by tim.sanderson »

Is it $200 with motor/esc etc, or is it for a roller only? $200 for a roller-only would be a bit steep. I bought my ZX5 FS for $150, plus another $100 for esc & motor. (although, that was a better/lower than average price) If it's $200 with the electronics, I'd say that's a pretty good price.
It's a great car, especially for the casual racer. While something like the SP would be better, the RTR is very close to it. The biggest thing is the car uses Phillips head screws instead of hexes. Handling-wise, it should be similar to the SP in performance. (which is pretty darn good)
I know you can still get parts for the SP/FS versions, but I am not certain on the availability of rtr parts. Availability of parts should really be what makes up your mind on this one.

sneako43
Approved Member

Post by sneako43 »

tsan wrote:Is it $200 with motor/esc etc, or is it for a roller only? $200 for a roller-only would be a bit steep. I bought my ZX5 FS for $150, plus another $100 for esc & motor. (although, that was a better/lower than average price) If it's $200 with the electronics, I'd say that's a pretty good price.
It's a great car, especially for the casual racer. While something like the SP would be better, the RTR is very close to it. The biggest thing is the car uses Phillips head screws instead of hexes. Handling-wise, it should be similar to the SP in performance. (which is pretty darn good)
I know you can still get parts for the SP/FS versions, but I am not certain on the availability of rtr parts. Availability of parts should really be what makes up your mind on this one.
Thanks for the response and opinion. I didn't know about the SP. The RTR is $199.99 with electronics (brushed motor). I would prefer hexes over phillips...thanks for that.

You said 'you can still get parts'...are these kits on their way out? Does Kyosho not produce parts for older models? Why would RTR parts not be available?

Either way, no shops around where I live stock Kyosho. Online would be my only source for parts.
SC10 -- FT B4.1

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

sneako43 wrote: Either way, no shops around where I live stock Kyosho.
or any other brands :cry:

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

sneako43 wrote:You said 'you can still get parts'...are these kits on their way out? Does Kyosho not produce parts for older models? Why would RTR parts not be available?
I can only speak for the FS & SP versions, because those are the only versions of lazer I've had. (I've bought parts for both of those during this summer) The FS is definately a current car, I believe the SP is too. I can't imagine the RTR would be any different... I'd say go for it. :)

tesla33
Approved Member

Post by tesla33 »

I had the zx5 rtr and it was a terrible experience. Diffs got loose too often and the plastic parts were always breaking. Sold it in the end because I was spending too much money on it. Might be a good car for flat surfaces but the moment you go to a track with jumps and potholes, forget it! Has anyone else had negative experiences with this car?

Cheers!