My 834b runner

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

BloodClod
Approved Member

Re: My 834b runner

Post by BloodClod »

tiger1 - heh... yes I had a friend print up some stickers for me. :)

Question for the 834b experts... what is a good tension for the chain to be run at?

When I first built the car the chain was pretty taut, so I added a link. That loosened the chain *a lot* so I removed the link.

After the local vintage meet the chain had slackened quite a bit and was kinda dragging on the chassis so today I removed another link... seems pretty taut again now. Haven't run it yet but what's a good tension to be set - should the chain be touching the chassis when it's "at rest"?

Thanks in advance. :)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

BloodClod wrote:Have another shelf queen I'm working on, so probably will glue up these tires and work on a few spacers to widen the track a tad. :)
If that doesn't give you much extra width, consider finding some wheels with the opposite offset than what those white ones have. I found that most modern wheels I looked at for my Optima had all the depth towards the inside of the wheel, rather than the outside. Wheels with more offset towards the outside (i.e. the rim extends outwards from the mounting hub as opposed to inwards) seem to be far less common on eBay. :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

BloodClod wrote:tiger1 - heh... yes I had a friend print up some stickers for me. :)

Question for the 834b experts... what is a good tension for the chain to be run at?

When I first built the car the chain was pretty taut, so I added a link. That loosened the chain *a lot* so I removed the link.

After the local vintage meet the chain had slackened quite a bit and was kinda dragging on the chassis so today I removed another link... seems pretty taut again now. Haven't run it yet but what's a good tension to be set - should the chain be touching the chassis when it's "at rest"?

The chain should be loose, sort of dragging on the chassis when the motor is not spinning. :D

My understanding is that: never get it tight!! :)

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Very cool pictures, thanks for sharing! I noticed in the wanted section that you need a front dog bone, I may have an extra pair for you. I will look tonight!

I have a few questions for you

1) What is the meaning of bloodclod? Bloodclat is a dirty Jamaician word, just wondering if you were playing on that!

2) What part of the world are you in? Looks nice, lucky guys!

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

tiger1 wrote:
BloodClod wrote:tiger1 - heh... yes I had a friend print up some stickers for me. :)

The chain should be loose, sort of dragging on the chassis when the motor is not spinning. :D

My understanding is that: never get it tight!! :)
really?!!! ah... I may have to add that link back to the chain then.

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

slotcarrod wrote:Very cool pictures, thanks for sharing! I noticed in the wanted section that you need a front dog bone, I may have an extra pair for you. I will look tonight!

I have a few questions for you

1) What is the meaning of bloodclod? Bloodclat is a dirty Jamaician word, just wondering if you were playing on that!

2) What part of the world are you in? Looks nice, lucky guys!
thanks in advance! that dogbone would be great!

Bloodclod? No no... no dirty jamaican word! lol!
My online RC life began when I was into electric solid-axle monster trucks and the king of the class was the Tamiya Clodbuster! I found online forums to be a wealth of information (back then it was RCMT, Trinity Techtalk and Clodtalk that got me started...) and I eagerly clicked to register. Like any young enthusiast, I tried every way to include my favourite car the CLOD into my nick - clodking, clodmaster, ... all taken. "Bloodclod" was actually a simple play on the word "Bloodclot"... not very meaningful I admit, but it stuck and I've been BloodClod or BC for more than a decade now. :)

I reside in a tiny little island state called Singapore and for our tiny land area we're blessed with more than our fair share of local RC stores. The local electric offroad track is a tad small but we're *very* thankful for what we have!

59burst
Approved Member

Post by 59burst »

BloodClod wrote: really?!!! ah... I may have to add that link back to the chain then.
you don't need to add the link back. early chains loosened easily. and removing one to two link(s) did trick well. later ones were stronger than early ones. but still need that trick. you'll need to remove another link after a couple of years later

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

Thanks for the input on the chain - I'll give it another run and see how the chain ends up.

Have some very radical thoughts on what to do with this buggy... hmmm...

Anyone else have pics of their 834B runners?

59burst
Approved Member

Post by 59burst »

did you see this?
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1745

and mine is good too 8)

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

BloodClod wrote: I reside in a tiny little island state called Singapore and for our tiny land area we're blessed with more than our fair share of local RC stores. The local electric offroad track is a tad small but we're *very* thankful for what we have!
I was around a couple times and tried to visit all stores I could find records of. Only one had some vintage cars and the owner wasn't selling them even though he knew well they were sought after. His pride was an orange armed AYK.

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

59burst wrote:did you see this?
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1745

and mine is good too 8)
Awesome thread about the belt conversion. Did you finish the conversion (I read the whole thread and I don't think it mentions if you did).

My twin-monoshock 834B really gets thrown out of shape on ruts at the track - I'm wondering if anyone runs theirs on a rough track and if the car handles well (perhaps on a independent shock rear setup)?

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

Mr. ED wrote:
BloodClod wrote: I reside in a tiny little island state called Singapore and for our tiny land area we're blessed with more than our fair share of local RC stores. The local electric offroad track is a tad small but we're *very* thankful for what we have!
I was around a couple times and tried to visit all stores I could find records of. Only one had some vintage cars and the owner wasn't selling them even though he knew well they were sought after. His pride was an orange armed AYK.
I'm pretty sure I know which store you're talking about.

Can't get a lot of vintage stuff from the stores here - more collectors than there are sellers actually, but we do have a good supply of current RC supplies for which I am thankful.

If you're ever in our neck of the woods again drop me a PM and perhaps I can show you around. :)

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

BTW, anyone have any idea what body shells these are and if they are still available somewhere? :)

*pictures from Dr. Robotnik's thread. :)

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

On nr:1 i would say tomahawk and on nr:2 i would say wonder.

please correct me ....

mvh Isobarik

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Here is a Tomahawk body for comparison
Attachments
P1020292 (Large).JPG
Gary