delete... old post

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

drillNink
Approved Member

delete... old post

Post by drillNink »

???
with age comes a cage

dldiaz

Re: tryn to keep up with the new cars

Post by dldiaz »

I have had pretty good luck with the Duratrax Intellispeed line of ESC's. They are cheap (DTXM1055 (Forward only) goes for $20-25) and seem to work great with stock to mild modified motors.

Good luck with resto!
-dldiaz

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Glad to hear you want to breath new life into your old race car. Here's where i'd start.

1. Get yourself a Lipo battery pack (or a few). The modern day batteries are great providing you dont over discharge them. Some esc's now have a lipo cut off point which shuts down the motor once the pack gets down to 6.0volts. the true beauty of these bastteries is the fact you can charge them days or even weeks before and you dont need to peak them before you run. The voltage is also a solid discharge current which means solid running the whole way through.

2. Brushless motor and esc set. Hobbywing do a brilliant little set up for a fraction of the price you would have paid for a decent Tekin esc back in the day. These little units are fan cooled and have a heap of adjustments via a electronic program card. These units also have a lipo cut off as mentioned above. The beauty with brushless technology is its just that - 'brushless'. No more cutting comms, replacing worn brushes, these motors perform reliably time after time.

3. 2.4 gig radio set. Again these are brilliant. Forget crystal clashes of the past, when you switch your receiver and transmitter on the radio selects a channel then locks out any other system from using that same channel. Spektrum units are a little hexy if your starting out but there are generic units around for a very reasonable price.

4. If its an RC10 then i'd be swapping the 6 gear tranny for a Stealth. These transmissions are still regarded as great units. Very reliable, good ball diffs and a slipper to boot.

5. Tyres. Modern day rubber is very diferent fro what was used back in the 80's. I used to run Schumacher CAT spikes and so did many other people. Forget about these as they are very hard to use on the race tracks of today. My favourite new tyre is a proline Hole Shot which is a soft rubber carcass with a foam inner. these will need to be glued to the rims as they are too soft to be used without and will spin off the rim in a heart beat.

6. Get yourself a respectable steering servo. While the standard jobbies you might buy for $10 are great for bashing you'll find that the gears strip under the stress of racing and dont have enough torque to keep you on that sweet driving line with all the other guys.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

drillNink
Approved Member

Post by drillNink »

wow jason ty very much for the detailed info. iappreciate it vey much...this info is exactly what ive been lookin for ill soon be posting pics thanks again
with age comes a cage

drillNink
Approved Member

Post by drillNink »

jason a few of my buddies run 6cell 4500 lipos is that somthing u were refering to
with age comes a cage

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

lipos have 3.7V per cell, so your buddies are probably running 2S (2 in series) packs. 6 cells would be 22.2v, more suitable for helis, although some guys are crazy and crank up the cells, i dunno......

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

The LiPo's you would be using for racing are only two cells. I your buddies are using 6 cell batteries, then they are NiMh batteries. I, like BORMAC, would definatelly recommend the hard case LiPo's, as they are far supperior to current NiMh or NiCd batteries. They require little or no maintenance, and can be run hundreds of times. I would also recommend a brushless setup, as they are far beyond any brushed setup in terms of power, maintenance, and reliability. These options are a little pricey as far as initial investment is concerned, but will save you lots of time, cash in the long run, and will really give you allot more enjoyment out of the hobby. -Jeff

drillNink
Approved Member

Post by drillNink »

thanks 4 the info jeff...eveythng helps im juslearnin about all this stuff
with age comes a cage

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

dldiaz wrote:I have had pretty good luck with the Duratrax Intellispeed line of ESC's. They are cheap (DTXM1055 (Forward only) goes for $20-25) and seem to work great with stock to mild modified motors.

Good luck with resto!
I was wondering about these. I run silver cans down to 19-20 turn motors, and need more ESCs to have more cars ready to run, so these would be a good option for the price. How is the throttle control? I have a Futaba MC230CR and it is very smooth.