diff ring polish

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

camlchris
Approved Member

diff ring polish

Post by camlchris »

Here is showing you how to use Micro Finishing Film to Grind & Polish the 1/12 Diff. Ring.

This is the Associated Diff Ring ( 12LW). The ring is “cone”when punched out during in the manufacturing process. So, we need to use the micro finishing film to “grind” it flat.
Besides, we need to gently "rough" the surface, so the steel / ceramic balls can grab on the rings instead of slipping.

We use Micro Finishing film because it provide a better Bearing Surface area on the diff rings than conventional abrasive sand paper. But, it is a bit costly.

You diff now run super smooth, and you don't need to over-tighten your nut, the balls also last longer. :D
Attachments
Spray water mist on the glass surface, place the 60um grit micro fin. film on it. So the film is “sticked” on the glass.<br /><br />You can spray water mist on the micro fin. film, or just use it in dry grinding. You should use the “figure 8” motion to grind the ring, Do not use the ‘circular’ motion, because this will not “flat out” the ring surface.
Spray water mist on the glass surface, place the 60um grit micro fin. film on it. So the film is “sticked” on the glass.

You can spray water mist on the micro fin. film, or just use it in dry grinding. You should use the “figure 8” motion to grind the ring, Do not use the ‘circular’ motion, because this will not “flat out” the ring surface.
After grinding for a few minute, you can see the ring is “inside cone”. ( The inside of the ring is not touched by the micro finish film
After grinding for a few minute, you can see the ring is “inside cone”. ( The inside of the ring is not touched by the micro finish film
Keep grinding until it is flat. You can see the “inside ring” is now grind by the micro fin. film
Keep grinding until it is flat. You can see the “inside ring” is now grind by the micro fin. film
Now, switch to the 30um micro fin film to “polish” it.  You can use it in “wet” or “dry”. It is up to you ! I personally, prefer to use it “dry”, because it is less messy. Make sure you use the “wiper” to clean out all the debris on the ring &amp; glass surface after grind and polish.
Now, switch to the 30um micro fin film to “polish” it. You can use it in “wet” or “dry”. It is up to you ! I personally, prefer to use it “dry”, because it is less messy. Make sure you use the “wiper” to clean out all the debris on the ring & glass surface after grind and polish.
Now, it is finished !
Now, it is finished !

bscotti
Approved Member

Re: diff ring polish

Post by bscotti »

thanks for posting this. I knew that diff rings needed some work to make them flat, but I didn't realize just how bad the stock part is.
Classics rule, moderns drool

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Nice write-up.

I do this to all of my diffs and they stay smooth for a very long time. I use 400 grit sand paper to get it flat, then go to 800 grit to finish it off. My Vonats RC10 was done like this, and afetr about 4 hours of runtime, it still feels like butta...

Group B
Approved Member

Post by Group B »

Simichrome metal polish works great for finer work, and Wenol works pretty well for more coarse of work.
Associated: RC10T - "Baller Truck" ~ Red Bull SC10 - "Sucker Free" ~ RC10T - "Teh Shelfer"
lowrydesign celebrates the entire Tecnacraft wheel collection
I celebrate Worlds Chassis and Steering Enhancement Kits

notme
Approved Member

Post by notme »

Thanks for the tip. This should help salvage hard to hard to find dif rings for our antiques....including my mr4bc-s.
Bernie Casey
My vintage collection, rc10, rc10 ce, turbo optima ,xls, storm ,jrx2,jrx pro, xxt, inferno mp3

covell2
Approved Member

Post by covell2 »

There is a guy in Ohio doing this for most of the late model cars b4,b44,rb5 etc www.bfastrc.com

camlchris
Approved Member

Post by camlchris »

covell2 wrote:There is a guy in Ohio doing this for most of the late model cars b4,b44,rb5 etc http://www.bfastrc.com
Why spend extra bucks for something that can be done with your own hands ? :lol:

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

camlchris wrote:
covell2 wrote:There is a guy in Ohio doing this for most of the late model cars b4,b44,rb5 etc http://www.bfastrc.com
Why spend extra bucks for something that can be done with your own hands ? :lol:
same reason so many people buy rtr's and not kits these days. :lol: i'm right there with ya chris i would much rather do as much as i can myself and have the extra money to spend on parts i need.

covell2
Approved Member

Post by covell2 »

To each his own but for about 20 bucks you get carbide diff balls in the package, and if you think that the current associated and kyosho diff balls are of good quality your mistaken. I have run the bfast stuff in my b4 all last year and have not touched the diff not once.

camlchris
Approved Member

Post by camlchris »

covell2 wrote:To each his own but for about 20 bucks you get carbide diff balls in the package, and if you think that the current associated and kyosho diff balls are of good quality your mistaken. I have run the bfast stuff in my b4 all last year and have not touched the diff not once.
US$20.00 for the ring + carbide balls ? I think, I can offer u the rings + ceramic balls at this price. :lol:

covell2
Approved Member

Post by covell2 »

really I have never run ceramic diff balls are they good? I would like to try them.

camlchris
Approved Member

Post by camlchris »

covell2 wrote:really I have never run ceramic diff balls are they good? I would like to try them.
I used the carbide balls before ( from AE) on my 1/12 CRC Gen.X , but they don't last long. ( I think, they last for appox. 20 to 30 times of 8 minutes run).
Then I switch to cermaic balls , now over 30 times of 8 min. run, still in perfect condition ! Super smooth ! More importanly, it cost less than the AE carbide balls. i got from the LHS the cermaic balls is just around US$ 8.00 for 8 or 10 balls ( i forget how many balls in the package. )

In the buggy application, I am not sure if this work out great like the 1/12 on road. As the buggy suffer a lot a force from jumps on the ramp.

covell2
Approved Member

Post by covell2 »

They might not last as long who knows. When I used to run pan cars back in the late 80's they used to make ceramic diff rings and they where extremely expensive. Pretty sure the associated carbide diff balls are chinese in origin and are no where near the quality they used to be.

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

I've been running the same 12 ceramic diff balls in my B4 for 2 years now, they last a little while :lol: I haven't gotten around to doing the diff ring sanding, thrust ring sanding, ceramic everything yet but that was a good start and a noticeable difference.

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Brandon G wrote:Nice write-up.

I do this to all of my diffs and they stay smooth for a very long time. I use 400 grit sand paper to get it flat, then go to 800 grit to finish it off. My Vonats RC10 was done like this, and afetr about 4 hours of runtime, it still feels like butta...
Yup, brandon did my diff too, I freshened it up with new lube after I got home from the VONATS and it's back to buttery smooth goodness! I've never ran as many battery packs through a car at one race as I did at the VONATS, I wish I would have brought more tires!! (Thanks Hoopty for helping me out with some!!!)
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!