RC10 B-Stamp Resurrection.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: RC10 B-Stamp Resurrection.

Post by XLR8 »

An ambitious project indeed. However, go bold or go home.
Doug

tuna.Rc
Approved Member

Post by tuna.Rc »

If you don't mind me asking, what diffs & trans are you using ?

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

tuna.Rc wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:05 pm If you don't mind me asking, what diffs & trans are you using ?
The Transmission is from an Acme Cyclone, Diffs from the same thing, but the riffs will be replaced with B44 units.

The suspension will mainly be B44 parts, with the exception of partially the rear bulkhead, which will remain stock RC10.
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

Was about to get this project back on track, had a deal worked out for some RC10 bits.

Then get a message today from the guy that said he was going to put them on ebay to get more money and that his buddy said for him to not do the deal. So there's that. In my opinion, money can not replace a man's word.

Anyways, got a machined motor plate cheap to modify for this thing, just got a new Weatherby Orion 12 gauge so it kind of drained my bank account.
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

Just got off the phone with one of our family friends, and he said he remembered racing his rc10 against the neighborhood kids with their Kyoshos and Tamiyas.

I'm really wanting to do a period correct runner now...And seeing how much less work it would be...its tempting to get a RC10 runner, and THEN convert one later...that's what I'll probably do.
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

I've now gotten a few more parts for this build. Going to dye the maroon arms black, and eitheir leave the others white, or try and figure out a color scheme. Still have plenty of odds and ends to get.

I've got my eyes set on a set of HPI front spokes and a set of proline rears. Might murder this one out and go all black?
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

Just bought a set of 1/4" CVAs, they look pristine. PO said they were only ran a few times, I plan to change that.

Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

Some of the parts came in! Still waiting on others, but it's coming together. I will dye all the parts black to match.

Looked around in my room for some parts for another build...and found this! A Futaba S28 servo, should do plenty for a little run around, my other projects (that are on their way here :wink: ) will be the ones I use to race. This will be given to my father since he used to race RC10, 10Ts, and 10GTs.

Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

Talked with some folks on some Facebook groups about my project, and have finally decided on a setup.

The Transmission will be secret for now, but y'all may (or may not) like it.

Chassis will become light. Light enough to be competitive in 2WD Mod Buggy at The Ohio RC Factory, I plan on doing this...

Wheels will remain Vintage, possibly with new-ish tires. Here's the front wheels for it.

To be competitive (and class legal) I'm going to have to go brushless, most likely a 13.5 combo. Will also find some 2s LiPos.

I have my CAD program fired up right now, and have started to design some new parts for it, Hopefully I can also find some cheaper CF to cut on the vertical mill at school, so I can prototype my own parts.

Stay Tuned folks, this build is also going to have a twin. 8)

Edit: Any input on lightest/most aerodynamic RC10 body?
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

Began on the Design of the new Transmission. Here's a sneak peek at one of the parts.

It will have an internal gear ratio of 2.72, using readily avliavle (and pretty cheap) parts, with the option for an aftermarket sealed diff, and metal out drives and such should anybody need them. It will utilise the stock gears within the Traxxas "Magnum" (Which I have seen take 6.5t bl abuse just fine.) And also use the universals from a stock 2wd Traxxas, (which also has plenty of upgrade options.)

I plan to use RPM slash rear arms, along with stock RC10 hubs (Maybe Slash ones if necessary.) And use custom adapters to use true vintage wheels.

The case design is similar to that of the MIP, RPM, and A&L Cases, just with different internal locations and a few braces for extra strength. Once I finish the design and get it tested with all the kinks worked out, I will upload the design to see how it performs out in the real world. (I plan on using it in a couple club races and bashing sessions to test it to its limits.)

I would've gotten pictures but ran out of time, and I wont be able to work on it the rest of the week due to staying in the hospital with my mother. This will probably be one of the only times I'll get cell reception in this godforsaken place, so hopefully I can get the parts while my mom recovers.
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

The magnum has it's roots all the way back to the mip transmission for the tamiya srb. To the mip transmission for the rc10, to the associated stealth, to the trx1 transmission to the various Traxxas models. So it's been a long road for that 3 gear design.

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

So atleast I can say it has some vintage roots. Figured for the price I'd be able to make myself a transmission to suit my needs better than what itd take to make me a nice smooth stealth. Plus then it'd have something of myself on there, something I designed.

Edit: Just bought some parts for the transmission, also got a set of rear wheels to match the fronts. Kinda different but close enough. RPM "Starz". This setup reminds me of the drag cars with the staggered size wheels.

They're truck offset, but I'll figure something out. It'll have wider rear arms so the offset won't matter, I'll just have to modify them for the axle size.
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

Got some parts ready to buy. Going to get the Bandit RPM arms as the Slash arms put the track width too wide. I still plan on running the stock rear hub carriers, but I might have to adjust that plan for bearing and wheel size.

Bought another tub yesterday, I plan on having two buggies ready to go.

Ordered:
RPM Bandit F&R Arms
KNK Stainless Hardware Kit
CF F&R Shock Towers, 6 hole style.
RC10T Noseplate
10T front bulkhead
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

YakkityYak
Approved Member

Post by YakkityYak »

Work on this project will be slow, if not halted for some time.

My mother passed away while she was waiting for a Liver Transplant, her second one. She was supposed to have one in January but it didn't come.

If there's one thing I can ask of you folks, please register to be a donor. Thanks to a donor before, I had my mother with me four more years than projected with her first transplant. This is a pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies. What you donate could go to save another young child's mother or father, or even the child themselves.

If you'd like any information on transplants and organ donations, visit
https://www.donatelife.net

Thank you folks for a supportive, classic RC community, and since I know most of you fellas are classic car enthusiasts as well, here is a photo of my mother and her 1953 Chevrolet 210, that we call

Roxy

I do know, however, when I get back to working on this, it will receive a paint job just as my mother's car has.
Losi - Mint-T
Associated - RC10 (x2)

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

So very sorry to hear. My condolences. Beautiful car. I'm sure it will keep her close to you.