Project XX

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

oldrc
Approved Member

Re: Project XX

Post by oldrc »

slapshot1979 wrote:I think I have a NIP set of Tecnacraft pins and buckles here somewhere. If your interested
Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know :)
I am not affiliated with oldrc.com, I'm just old when it comes to my RC history :D

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

Squeaky clean

New rear tower fitted

New shocks, note there are only 3, my little un has run off with one and I can't find it anywhere...

Now we have this little problem on the chassis. The battery strap slots have been cut, not sure why. I'll probably cut them off completely with a dremel follwing the angle down from the screw hole.

I am not affiliated with oldrc.com, I'm just old when it comes to my RC history :D

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

The shocks look great with the blue collars! Shame about that chassis though.....wonder if it's possible to repair it with something like JB Weld.

Here it is at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/J-B-Weld-Original-Epoxy-Adhesive/dp/B0006O1ICE

Sets dark grey which may be close enough to blend in with the composite. You may have to build the epoxy up a little at a time but then you should be able to file, shape and re-profile as necessary.

Not sure how successful it'll be but it might be worth a try!
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

It is a shame yes, not sure why it was done, looks like it was literally ripped off with some pliers. The cuts are actually slightly raised and not sunk (like it looks in the photo) so doesn't need filling, but filing. I won't be using velcro straps so I won't need the slots. Think the best thing to do is follow the angle down from above and cut them off completely, smooth the cuts, round the cut edges so it all looks (as much as will be possible) natural.

We'll see how it pans out, my dremel cutting discs should be here today I hope :)

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

I have just disassembled the transmission, cleaned greased and put it back together smooth as silk. In regards to the slipper, is the standard dual slipper good enough for modern power or should I put the Associated RC10 B5 slipper on?

Oh and after 3 days hunting, I found my missing shock, kids...

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Scar on chassis straps was from its racing days. Who knows why :roll:
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

oldrc wrote:I have just disassembled the transmission, cleaned greased and put it back together smooth as silk. In regards to the slipper, is the standard dual slipper good enough for modern power or should I put the Associated RC10 B5 slipper on?

Oh and after 3 days hunting, I found my missing shock, kids...
If this is the one you are referring to, then yes...
Losi (Update) 008c.jpg
RC10 VTS Slipper
Losi (Update) 008c.jpg (106.5 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
RC10 VTS Slipper
RC10 VTS Slipper
Losi (Update) 008c.jpg (106.5 KiB) Viewed 1280 times

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

slapshot1979 wrote:Scar on chassis straps was from its racing days. Who knows why :roll:
I'm thinking perhaps someone cut the bits out so they could use them to clip wires underneath or something.

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

LosiXXkid wrote: If this is the one you are referring to, then yes...
Losi (Update) 008c.jpg
That looks like the one yes, I'll go for that one then thank you.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

The standard double plate slipper that came as standard on the Kinwald is perfectly adequate to handle modern brushless power... its the same design as what was used throughout the production of the XXX.. & hence, is what was fitted to my Mid-Motor XXX CR2 :wink:

Regarding the chassis - it wasn't unusual for racers to cut the battery strap 'loops' off on later XXs with the battery strap, since they were not required - removal of every bit of unnecessary moulding helped to save weight. They also tended to get in the way if using the Corally tube type connectors on the batteries - so chassis' were often clearanced to allow the nicads to fit without these tubes touching - especially as the Graphite chassis are conductive.

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

DerbyDan wrote:The standard double plate slipper that came as standard on the Kinwald is perfectly adequate to handle modern brushless power... its the same design as what was used throughout the production of the XXX.. & hence, is what was fitted to my Mid-Motor XXX CR2 :wink:

Regarding the chassis - it wasn't unusual for racers to cut the battery strap 'loops' off on later XXs with the battery strap, since they were not required - removal of every bit of unnecessary moulding helped to save weight. They also tended to get in the way if using the Corally tube type connectors on the batteries - so chassis' were often clearanced to allow the nicads to fit without these tubes touching - especially as the Graphite chassis are conductive.
Thanks for the info, not sure what to do about the slipper as I already have a B5 one here, perhaps I won't go for it then, hmm...

I forgot about the corally connectors, someone must have been running saddle packs and like you say, has cut the bits off, the mystery is solved :) I'll stick to my plan and whip them all off then, make it all look nice and clean again.

Cheers.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

As Dan highlights, the original Losi double disk slipper is more than adequate for modern set-ups. However, in my experience, the B5 VTS slipper is much easier to install and maintain due to the improved design which uses octagonal slipper pads with a much larger surface area.

For me, trying to keep the Losi slipper pads in place and lined up while attempting to tighten the locking nut can be a right pain in the ar.......! :x

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

Does the shaft need modifying for the B5 slipper or does it all go straight on?

Thanks

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

oldrc wrote:Does the shaft need modifying for the B5 slipper or does it all go straight on?

Thanks
It fits straight on without the need for any modifications. :)

oldrc
Approved Member

Post by oldrc »

Excellent, I'll go for it then :)