My gold pan [Runner Build]

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Re: My gold pan [Runner Build]

Post by Jedi Master »

Nice Job! 8)
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Thanks! I need to change the # though, it can't be an 84 maybe 85?. I do know it has the early shock retainers so maybe someone can give me a better ballpark date *fingers crossed* :wink:

UPDATE:
A lot of things changed on this car (ignore the wheels I already bought new rims and tires), but I finally decided upon a build direction, a black RPM gold pan :D From these photos you can see why I made it a runner, the person decided he was going to drill holes wherever he saw fit - grrrr :roll: Dispite that, I pushed on with this build. Good news is I might have found a local guy with a decent A-stamp chassis that he will sell me for this project 8)

Originally, beside the chassis it bothered me that some parts were white and some were black so parts were procured to keep everything one color or the other. Since then, I bought the team car among other things and all the white parts went to that.

At this point I have acquired enough (previously dyed parts) to rebuild the car with all black parts and start acquiring RPM parts to complement the existing. So far I have RPM turbuckles, RPM front bulkhead and rear RPM hubs. I plan to source as many other RPM goodies for the gold pan also IE - front hubs and a-arms all around and whatever else I might come across.

Last but not least, I finished my prototype ABS skid plate :twisted: This one came out pretty good, I just need to widen the next one just a little. As mount points I used 3 pairs of existing holes in the steering, bulkhead and transmission areas. Photos:
P1011041.JPG
P1011043.JPG
P1011035.JPG
P1011033.JPG
P1011036.JPG
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Since the steering set-up was robbed for the team car I decided to build a unique set-up for the gold pan haha.
I used a combo of b3 and t parts to come up with this :mrgreen: I'm guess some people have already concocted something like this but I don't know? It would of course be much cooler with bearings, however I'm not sure if that's even possible?
P1011059.jpg
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

River flooding has put a huuge damper on my fun, but FINALLY managed to get the goldpan out for a spin today :D
Popped in a Chameleon 19t motor running that custom profile I made for the Cyclone(99) - had a blast :mrgreen: My custom steering seemed to work well and the long front arms helped it track much better. I'm very very happy with the skid plate, no chance in scratching the pan now :twisted: I thought the green springs upfront were a bit soft, but the gold rears worked great, I'm still testing though.
Photo... it was a little muddy, need to clean asap :lol:
P1011072.jpg
-Kevin

susko
Approved Member

Post by susko »

jealous

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

... but I haven't finished yet :mrgreen: I did get the bearings for the steering (ASC9162) but the bearings only go on the right side booo :wink: Moving on to upgrading the ball cups/ball ends to the dubro 4-40 ball links and then all of that will be done and I can start looking for a nicer a stamp chassis 8)
9162.jpg
9162.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 898 times
9162.jpg
9162.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 898 times
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I'm back on this project after acquiring some decent parts for the ole gold 8)

First up, I didn't care too much for the hybrid steering system I designed - was hoping to find a new or used RPM system, but settled on a full ball bearing MIP system - woohoo :D Moving along to what else I didn't care for... a-arms! The RPM's were easy to find new so why not right? hehehe. A few other new items were added like the black nose tubes anno'ed hardware items and new gold springs.

I think a few other items needs revisiting, mainly transmission & rear end however I haven't decided what I want to do just yet. :oops: Stay tuned, taxes are coming back in a month. :mrgreen:
P1011199.jpg
P1011206.jpg
P1011219.jpg
P1011218.jpg
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I wanted to do the idler bearings months ago, but I was missing that tiny Allen key to do it. I was unaware till now that the 6644 kit had the Allen. The LHS actually had a nip so finally a full BB 6-gear transmission. I decided to do universals on the buggy also while I had everything apart back there.
P1011190.JPG
P1011225.JPG

The coolest addition happened this week - pure luck find... front and rear black HPI Super Stars! The fronts were new and rears used, but like new. I plan to keep these nice, no glue or anything shelf duty for the gold or the team buggy. The look so nice, I'm very happy to have them.
P1011236.JPG
P1011237.JPG
P1011238.JPG
There's still more planned, shooting for the end of the month to be finished.
-Kevin

ratdude
Approved Member

Post by ratdude »

Looks Fantastic with the HPI's on it !
I thought it was supposed to be ..... FUN !

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

ratdude wrote:Looks Fantastic with the HPI's on it !
Thanks!

The last big item is here now, a decent condition almost complete MIP transmission :mrgreen:
I'm not sure which one it is sp1-pro maybe? I do know it has most of the "low end tork control slipper" (MIP sl-100) with it.
It's just missing the slipper rings and I contacted the sell to see if he can find them for me *fingers crossed* hopefully he will :wink:
P1011252.JPG
P1010007.JPG
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I started the "fun" buggy body project this week, it's the Parma version bug with a 2 color pactra base & vinyls I made. Simple retro style design. It wasn't suppose to be so German flag colors looking, but I'll take it. Using on-road posts I have mounted OK if I was going to run and for extra measure I added the RPM shorty bumper. I hope to finally do a full light system - healights/taillights with working brakelights which is the next part coming up :mrgreen:
P1010085.jpg
-Kevin