jconcepts detonator for rc10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

menace
Approved Member

Re: jconcepts detonator for rc10

Post by menace »

My only real problem with the size of the wheels is that we are limited to Rips/DD's. Groovy's/Goosebumps (or some other pin/stud type rear tires will be a very welcome addition as tire options in the future. Until then I will just have to stock up on and live with the tires they have available.
Note to JConcepts, not everyone runs their cars on hardpacked groomed tracks!

MH7

Post by MH7 »

Nobody's saying J concepts is the bad guy. But I do feel they have missed a huge gap in the market by not doing a simple dished 2.2. Especially for us non Americans. Yes I can put the b4 conversion on my car. But it just looks wrong with B4 wheels. And loses the authenticity. As I prefer my car looks factory team 93 worlds and wheels from that era or b2/3 wheels are very hard to come by.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

JHarris wrote:Here's a few of one of mine mounted. I also included a couple pics of one next to a Protech for comparison.
Actually sitting next too a Protech I like the JConcepts body a lot in that pic. It's different than other bodies out there and I like the back area. It's smaller and cleaned up yet has a small spoiler too help with ea little more downforce.

The cab area reminds me of the old Duesunbergs and the cars from the 1920's in general.
Attachments
30-Duesenberg_J_Judkins_Limo-DV-08_AI_01.jpg

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Here is the way I see it. I want to run the jelly beans on this one car for the purposes of the look. But I am also going to run the JC tires. It is as simple as cutting a section out of the tire and gluing it back together, stuffing it with the foam inserts and gluing the tire to the wheel. I did the same thing with a set of 2.2s but they are a tad on the short side. The new JC tires should look and perform great as a cut and shut for those of you who want to run the jelly beans. I am sure that is still going to be too much work for some based upon some of the complaints I have read.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
clm wrote:Because then you wouldn't need to buy more when the tires wore out... wheel manufacturers (who are generally also the tire manufacturers) would lose income. :roll:

Chris
Awfully pessimistic aren't you? Couldn't have anything to do with 1984 design not being compatible 2014 tire compounds could it?

Justin, I have to disagree about 10T wheels still working. They will mount, but when you install the foams needed to support the tire, it kills the beadlock, and when running the foam pushes the tire out and it "blows out" and dislodges. I've tried it, and couldn't even keep tires on front wheels- SC tires don't use real beadlocks, and M/T tires might, but don't use soft rubber, nor are they forced to make a small (1.7") OD, they're like 4.0", so they can add "meat" to the mounting area. Crawlers do use them sucessfully, but at like 100rpm. A 6 gear with a 17.5 can hit about 10,000 rpm @ the wheel, and that's where centrifugal forces win-
Actually Proline makes a beadlock wheel for SC tires and they suck. A 17.5 will pull the beads out after half a race. A 10.5 tun will pull the beads at the first pull of the trigger. I agree with everything you said.

The fact is modern rc tires do NOT compare too real 1:1 tires. 1:1 tires are built for maximun longevity while attainging as much traction as possible during that lifetime.
Rc tires are made for maximum traction while Longevity is not a concern. Modern tires are so soft and sticky that they only last a few race days on a high bite track. They need too be glued too the tires in order to put the power down.

I don't understand the upset roar at Jconcepts over the tires and wheels they are making for the Rc10. They already make dozens of tires and wheels for the modern 2.2 stuff buggies. Associated is making the old wheels and hard tires again. If anyone wants too run a vintage RC10 they have too use modern 2.2 sizes. Now there's softer tires for racing that are in the old size. What's the problem with that?

2.2 size soft rubber
stock size in soft rubber
stock size in hard rubber

There's 3 choices instead of 2. They made a new product that helps everyone out. It's a win win for everyone.

JPAE07
Approved Member

Post by JPAE07 »

I admit I was one of those who bitched about the look of the body when I first saw it.

I do have to say, however, that I REALLY APPRECIATE JConcepts and its owner for their effort to create something for us vintage enthusiasts to purchase.

Even though I may not purchase a detonator lid. I will purchase the wheels and tires AND continue to purchase 4 packs front and back of rulux wheels. Who knows if they make another body I may likely be interested.

Now whether we like it or not I think the bitching, pissing and moaning is getting old and worn out. If your late to the party in making a negative comment then that's too bad. We've all heard enough. Lets focus on the positive for the remaining life of this thread.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

It's growing on me. I didn't like it at first, but I think it's a really good retro look. I can't wait to paint on and have fun with it. In my opinion stripes will really make this one look sweet!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

absolutely agree that I LOVE the fact that they are making parts for the RC10. It doesn't change the fact that I'm not partial to the body, and a couple small tweaks would have really made it so much more attractive, which would easily turn into more sales, that's where my disappointment lies.

I LOVE the Hazards, and will most likely be getting them for the twin gold pans I am assembling for my two boys.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

You guys are killing me with this beadlock thing. I (and lots of others) have extensive experience running 3 piece truck wheels on high powered 50+ mph RC10GT's and can say for a fact that it works just fine and there is absolutely no issues doing it.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

vwjuice wrote: Actually Proline makes a beadlock wheel for SC tires and they suck. A 17.5 will pull the beads out after half a race. A 10.5 tun will pull the beads at the first pull of the trigger. I agree with everything you said.

The fact is modern rc tires do NOT compare too real 1:1 tires. 1:1 tires are built for maximun longevity while attainging as much traction as possible during that lifetime.
Rc tires are made for maximum traction while Longevity is not a concern. Modern tires are so soft and sticky that they only last a few race days on a high bite track. They need too be glued too the tires in order to put the power down.

I don't understand the upset roar at Jconcepts over the tires and wheels they are making for the Rc10. They already make dozens of tires and wheels for the modern 2.2 stuff buggies. Associated is making the old wheels and hard tires again. If anyone wants too run a vintage RC10 they have too use modern 2.2 sizes. Now there's softer tires for racing that are in the old size. What's the problem with that?

2.2 size soft rubber
stock size in soft rubber
stock size in hard rubber

There's 3 choices instead of 2. They made a new product that helps everyone out. It's a win win for everyone.
I run the proline beadlocks on my hyper10sc with Tekin rx8 and sc4x 4.5 turn 550 motor and high powered lipos and have had zero issues with them. I also know many local racers who use them and have not had any problems with them.

As for your full scale tire comment, first of all I wasn't trying to compare RC tires to full scale tires, just implying that if it works so good on full scales why wouldn't it work well on an RC. Secondly, you need to do some research on full scale tires if you think that they are all made for maximum life, because that couldn't be farther from the truth. Especially when it comes to off road motorsport, which is what I was specifically referring to. Those full scale tires are built for maximum performance, with hardly any consideration for longevity.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

On another note, the body growing on you guys yet???? After sitting in my living room for a week I'm actually starting to like it a lot.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Those wheels are great looking, but they need to be satin chrome. Bright white against the beige of the nylon suspension parts is too harsh. Are they paintable/dyeable?

As for the body... well, I guess it's a matter of taste. I bet this guy likes it:

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

gomachv wrote:
... and let's be honest, there's been some horrific bodies that were produced in the 80s and 90s.
Yup.....Dahms

Lol

Them's fightin' words! :evil:

popboy905
Approved Member

Post by popboy905 »

JHarris wrote:On another note, the body growing on you guys yet???? After sitting in my living room for a week I'm actually starting to like it a lot.
Yup it grew on me, played around in photoshop with some paint designs and masking. When will the body be out?

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

justinspeed79 wrote: I run the proline beadlocks on my hyper10sc with Tekin rx8 and sc4x 4.5 turn 550 motor and high powered lipos and have had zero issues with them. I also know many local racers who use them and have not had any problems with them.

As for your full scale tire comment, first of all I wasn't trying to compare RC tires to full scale tires, just implying that if it works so good on full scales why wouldn't it work well on an RC. Secondly, you need to do some research on full scale tires if you think that they are all made for maximum life, because that couldn't be farther from the truth. Especially when it comes to off road motorsport, which is what I was specifically referring to. Those full scale tires are built for maximum performance, with hardly any consideration for longevity.
You're the first person I have heard that likes the beadlocks on an SC truck. Everyone I raced with has hated them as they never hold hard enough.

Full scale racing tires are built with a lot of different compounds like rc tires are. In racing you pick the tires that have the best compromise of traction and longevity as the track or course isn't "prepared" like an RC track is. Even in Nascar and Indy they prep the tracks as much as they can, but compare those too an rc indoor clay track and there's a big difference. The indoor clay track I run at has so much grip from the sticky clay and traction compound that slicks are always used for two weeks after a track change and then it's gold Barcodes which are slicks with tiny tread. Full size tracks aren't treated with sugar or traction additive like sticky-kicks used on rc tracks.

I understand your points, but I just think that these new Jconcepts tires will be great for the vintage crowd.