jconcepts detonator for rc10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

terry.sc
Approved Member

Re: jconcepts detonator for rc10

Post by terry.sc »

ca-rj wrote:It will be a waste if they don't fit the stock 3 piece wheels. There's already enough of us shelling out money for 2.2 wheels and tires, I can't see many buying yet another size that is almost stock, but not quite and needing yet another set of wheels.
Got to agree with you there. If the tyres don't fit the kit wheels and you have to buy the JConcepts wheels to run them, you might as well do it properly and run 2.2".

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

I can't believe some of you don't like the Detonator body?
I liked it after about ten seconds, and I like it even more now!

Do y'all really not think this looks cool???
DSCN1360.JPG
-dldiaz

TheSpeedway
Approved Member

Post by TheSpeedway »

ca-rj wrote:It will be a waste if they don't fit the stock 3 piece wheels. There's already enough of us shelling out money for 2.2 wheels and tires, I can't see many buying yet another size that is almost stock, but not quite and needing yet another set of wheels.
JHarris wrote:Right now there's only one set and I haven't had a chance to molest them. Based on the wheels they are sitting on I assume they are your typical glue type bead. With todays motors, batteries, track surfaces and tire compounds/designs a pinch wheel wouldn't work very well anyway. I will check and get you a definitive answer though.
Agreed.
I wont be buying anything for my 6 gold pan racers other than stuff that fits the stock 3 piece wheels. The only exception would be anything that fits the Tamiya based size wheels (Rough Rider- Sand Scorcher) that I would run on these same cars just like we did in 84-85 era.

TheSpeedway
Approved Member

Post by TheSpeedway »

dldiaz wrote:I can't believe some of you don't like the Detonator body?
I liked it after about ten seconds, and I like it even more now!

Do y'all really not think this looks cool???
Your paint is fantastic.
The body however begs for an inline two seat driver to be installed.

The roofline on the cage sorta reminds me of a Model A Sedan. I would however need the rest of the Model A in a fenderless version so I could do a little Jalopy racing.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Jeff - tell Jason that we're all really appreciative of his dedication to the RC10, that's for sure!

HAving said that - you can't challenge how people feel about the shape... it looks like there's a majority of us who don't like it as much as you seem to... it shouldn't mean that JC shouldn't release more products for the car at all. It's just that this one doesn't click with most of us.

Thanks
Paul!
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

I will convey everyone's appreciation of his efforts.

I understand everyone's position on the body, and I respect those opinions. As I've said a few times; I didn't like it when I first saw it. I've had mine for 2 weeks and they have grown on me. I will add that I have them in hand and I'm not just looking at pictures. There really is a difference. I take no offense to anyone's opinion about the body or any other JC products. Since everyone is entitled to their opinion and the expression of such, I am just providing the manufacturer perspective. Sometimes people don't see the other side until it's expressed. Either way, we can all have our thoughts and good or bad, I enjoy reading them all. Keep 'em coming!!

I have asked for the tires and wheels as soon as they come through the door. I plan to test the car and some ideas for the upcoming racing class but can't do anything until I have them to try. I should have my car done this weekend and will share some pictures with you guys.

janaya
Approved Member

Post by janaya »

JHarris wrote:Knowing Jason personally and speaking with him almost daily about these cars I can tell you that the JConcepts involvement comes solely as a result of his love for the RC10. I also know that the RC10 products were not supported by others at JConcepts, so Jason stepped off the line and did it on his own. While I may be a team driver and friend of his, my support of this line of products comes out of my appreciation for a company willing to take a chance on something new. If Proline, AKA, Panther or anyone else were to produce tires/wheels for this car I would applaud their efforts too. Sadly, I don't think you will see any such products since the market doesn't suggest a profit for those items.
This is another reason why I will be showing my support by picking up all the options JCONCEPTS releases for the RC10. No other big aftermarket company is going to produce any accessories or hop ups. Huge props to Jason for taking this huge risk. I still believe the body will look so much better once some custome paint schemes get sprayed on it. I think my blue and white flame scheme will look killer on it.

Thanks for all the updates Jeff
Javier -

RC10 Shelfer, RC10 Worlds Car Runner, RC10T Shelfer, RC10T2 Runner, SC18, JConcepts BJ4, B5M and counting.
RC10T WOIN Build http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=32541

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

The forward part of the roofline/a pillar is the only thing I don't like about it, I love the rest of the detail around the tub area and the body lines in the nose... I think someone could make a great realistic body with scratch built roll bar tubes with it, they would just need to *broken record time* tilt the custom tubular a pillars back.

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Same with me as far as the cab part of the body is the only part i dont like but the rest is great! And i think it is awesome that they are making parts for this car and hope others will follow.

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

The only problem is, how many bodies can you make without it looking like one that already exist or having several similar features. Sure it's not as good looking as others but I don't think it looks bad. I've definitely seen worse. I'd like to see Oneida person.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i still don't like the body. :lol:

but on to the tires/wheels.....

do guys race 2wd buggy class with sc tires and wheels..... or vice versa? or maybe stadium truck with 2.2 buggy tires and wheels..... or vice versa? how about sc tires and wheels on a stadium truck...... or vice versa? no? so why should jconcepts make direct fit 2.2 wheels when their goal is to create a vintage class/series all it's own?

from everything i've heard/read, modern/soft rubber tires and 3 piece wheels do not agree with one another. that includes old losi truck wheels too. unless you are planning on using lathe motors, you'll be blowing them off the rims with any kind of power behind it. if it worked, why are we wasting time gluing tires? where are all of the other multi piece off road wheels?

now, could they have built a harder tire that could've been used on the jelly bean wheels? i'm sure they could have. and when you put the car down on the track and it hooked up..... nowhere.... on today's modern tracks, guys would complain about the tires being to hard. so instead, they kept in the spirit of the old car, and created a new set of wheels in the correct size with modern rubber to match. i fail to see the problem.

remember, they're not only making parts for the car. they're trying to design a whole new class around it.

not to mention, jconcepts makes wheels. why should they make a tire so that associated can sell more of theirs? :lol:

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

Looks cool.......

mvh Isobarik

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

janaya
Approved Member

Post by janaya »

scr8p wrote:i still don't like the body. :lol:

but on to the tires/wheels.....

do guys race 2wd buggy class with sc tires and wheels..... or vice versa? or maybe stadium truck with 2.2 buggy tires and wheels..... or vice versa? how about sc tires and wheels on a stadium truck...... or vice versa? no? so why should jconcepts make direct fit 2.2 wheels when their goal is to create a vintage class/series all it's own?

from everything i've heard/read, modern/soft rubber tires and 3 piece wheels do not agree with one another. that includes old losi truck wheels too. unless you are planning on using lathe motors, you'll be blowing them off the rims with any kind of power behind it. if it worked, why are we wasting time gluing tires? where are all of the other multi piece off road wheels?

now, could they have built a harder tire that could've been used on the jelly bean wheels? i'm sure they could have. and when you put the car down on the track and it hooked up..... nowhere.... on today's modern tracks, guys would complain about the tires being to hard. so instead, they kept in the spirit of the old car, and created a new set of wheels in the correct size with modern rubber to match. i fail to see the problem.

remember, they're not only making parts for the car. they're trying to design a whole new class around it.

not to mention, jconcepts makes wheels. why should they make a tire so that associated can sell more of theirs? :lol:
Very good point and yes the bigger picture is that they are doing this in hopes to get a class going around it. If you want 2.2 wheels just use the AE conversion kit that will be available or one of the custom set ups found on this forum. :)
Javier -

RC10 Shelfer, RC10 Worlds Car Runner, RC10T Shelfer, RC10T2 Runner, SC18, JConcepts BJ4, B5M and counting.
RC10T WOIN Build http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=32541

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

The spirit of the Detonator lives in the 1980’s, starting with the rear biased, over rear tower, hung cab, large window detail and roll-bar treatment outlining the stout individual pillars. The side-pods are simple, yet effectively cover the iconic aluminum tub chassis and skate by the latest in inboard electrical gear. Multiple side windows, including the vintage back window, stand out as class leading details. The front of the body slides just inside the front shock tower and nose brace tubes and gradually rises up to a center inlet scoop built into the hood. The back of the body has a powerful look, dipping down underneath the slick 5.5” wing and kicking up right at the rear adding flare and additional force over the rear-end. The Detonator pays homage to a selection of high-performance bodies from the late 80’s and early 90’s with a clean, cut to the chase desert buggy design and appeal.
1980's indeed:

Also...