My Kyosho Ultima Build

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

m_vice
Approved Member

Re: My Kyosho Ultima Build

Post by m_vice »

Brandon G wrote:This may or may not help you.
Kyosho still has the M, L, and LL turnbuckles in stock. I think they are UM-12, 13, 14. UM 11 is the short one and is hard to find. However if you don't mind silver, IFW2 is the same length and style, just different finish.

Also, HPI carries a lot of the same style screws that were originally on the Ultima. Phillips, steel, same finish. May have to trim to length on the gearbox screws tho.
hey do you have a link to get the IFW2?
are you sure the KYOSHO INFERNO TIE ROD are the same size as the ones for the Ultima, Optima...?

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Oops, that's my bad. I matched the length but not the girth. I called Kyo USA and they had no additional info on the part. Scratch that.

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

Here are some pics.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

you can't blame the guys for having the wrong screws in their kit really: lots of variation in the ultima versions. Cutting long screws down is a hassle but better than too short, right ;)

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Mr. ED wrote:you can't blame the guys for having the wrong screws in their kit really: lots of variation in the ultima versions. Cutting long screws down is a hassle but better than too short, right ;)
You got a pint but why promote a kit that works for all Vintage Ultimas and it doesn’t even work for the original Ultima. I got a kit for my Turbo Ultima and it was missing a lot of screws, but the problem is solved after a month of e-mails.
O, and I ordered a kit for my RC10 in addition to the Ultima and never got any washers in any of the kits. :(

I do like the screws.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I used one of their kits for my Turbo Optima. Currently, I have two Ultima type restorations going but I've just ordered bulk screws from McMaster instead of the rcscrewz kit.

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

Well, just got the shipment of screws, I needed reg 3mm nuts and he sent me lock nuts. I think I am just going to buy from someone else to get the last 12 ss nuts I need to finish the screw replacement. Its getting rediculous trying to get the right stuff from this guy, I applaud his effort to try to get me what I need, but I shouldn't take 3 times to try to get something right. Screw rcscrewz (no pun intened lol).

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

Can someone point me to where I can buy 3mm reg SS nuts, I need about 12-14 of them.

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Have a look here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-nuts/=5c6fc6 Scroll down a little, plain 18-8 Stainless from 1mm all the way up. Hope that helps.

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

Thanks for the link. I had ordered some HPI 3mm nuts from amain because they were .89 for 6 and I didn't see your post till after I got them, they arn't SS but they are shiney so they match.

Here is more progress, here you can see the spacers are available seperately, and how you put one on each side of the hub which makes perfect fit. I also installed RPM blue nylon nuts, mostly because I only needed one, but decided for a little more personallity, the only thing is the socket size used for them is 1/4 instead of metric like all the other nuts, but they are for 4/40 or 3mm, so they are fine. I also replaced most of the rest of the screws except for the front shock tower mouning screws because I don't want to take it off until I get a replacement tower, and the trans case screws because I don't feel like cutting them right now.

It really is starting to come together, still need turnbuckles, tires, new body and cage, shock rebuild parts, shock mount bushing, and shock end, new towers. I'm very pleased how its looking, and the trans is silky smooth unlike before it was nasty feeling.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Sorry if I missed it, but were the wheels 2.2? If so, it looks like you'd have to use narrow front tires, right?

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

RichieRich wrote:Sorry if I missed it, but were the wheels 2.2? If so, it looks like you'd have to use narrow front tires, right?
Yep, the wheels are 2.2 and you need standard tires in front not the wide ones.
You might be able to fit wide ones but I am not sure they will look good.

ace028, the car is looking really clean I like it. I may have some screws left over you might need, maybe we can exchange some, let me know. I am actually looking for some that you may have in you RCscrez kit, PM me if interested.

Are you looking to replace the towers?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

those are duratrax maximum BX wheels? Could you do me a favor and measure the offset on the rear wheels for me? from the face of the hex to the inside bead face would be most excellent, but however you think is easiest.

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

Yeah I want to replace the towers with the JG ones to match the top deck, plus my front one is bent anyways.

I don't think I really need anymore screws maybe a couple from the kit, but I would be happy to send you what you need so you can finish yours and not have to deal with that guy at rcscrewz lol.

-----------------

I'll try to measure the off set a bit later or tomorrow, need to fix my ZX-5 FS after I broke it practicing for a race thats tomorrow.

bdrmbully
Approved Member

Post by bdrmbully »

if you get taller shock towers then you will need new shocks. i have a parma set of shock towers that would look amazing on your car...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120516316494&ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT
if your in north america than they can be yours for 20 shipped. pm me if your interested .
2nd place is just the 1st loser