OFF ROAD VINTAGE MEETING - AUSTRALIA 13th JULY 2008....

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bormac
Approved Member

Re: OFF ROAD VINTAGE MEETING - AUSTRALIA 13th Aug 2008....

Post by Bormac »

Minichamps dont let Darryn fool you into thinking that you need an MIP RC10 to be competitive in vintage racing. Darryn can drive the @$$ out of a shopping trolley. Seriously both his cars were driven well on the day and with a talent such as his why wouldn't they.
Vintage racing should really be about having some fun out on the track with cars from a by-gone era. I think the more diversity the better. It would be a shame for people to track down the cars that were most competitive over the cars that meant something to you.
Even though my Topcat had almost no steering ability on the dusty loose surface I wont be giving up on Schumacher buggies any time soon. Personaly i'd like to run as many different cars as I can while momentum of interest continues. Next meeting Im running the Marui Samurai for sure!
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Kudoz on the organising and attendance there guys, I wish we had a similar event here in Belgium or at least somewhere in Europe. Very nice cars, a lot of Schumacher fans it seems though :shock: or is Bormac teh one who brought them all?

Too bad you broke those dogbones Dazz, otherwise your MIP would be first I guess; any other problem with the car? It looked VERY (too much?) fast in the vid :shock: almost uncontrolable! Nice pictures too, I like the Zerda (wasn't it the very first 4wd EP car?) the hopped-up CAT is also amazing!

Stumpy
Approved Member

Post by Stumpy »

Darryn,

Would have loved to come down for this meeting, but we had a club day on the same weekend, and I was keen to run my new LiPo's..

Would it be possible to let us know who some of the guys are in the pics.. No need for real names, screen names are OK (TC or RC10 talk)..

Would the guy in the black jacket holding the Subaru brat be Jak Rizzo (off TC) by any chance??

Cheers

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

Asso_man! wrote:Kudoz on the organising and attendance there guys, I wish we had a similar event here in Belgium or at least somewhere in Europe. Very nice cars, a lot of Schumacher fans it seems though :shock: or is Bormac teh one who brought them all?
Not all must most of them I think! My Topcat is the purple chassis one with the black on silver body.

Yeah Stumpy it's Jak. Dunno if he's on RC10talk yet, he said he's going to get an RC10 now after seeing how good they are :P

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

RETRO R/C wrote: I was beginning to wonder if there was any interest at all in this meeting!
:oops: I never checked on this tread as I thought it was an announcement for an event in the far future... :shock: it does say 13 august :?: :?: :?:
Id didn't expect to see pics yet and left it aside, glad I finally did pop in though.
Like David, My favorit is that Zerda. Together with bulldog they make me look forward to Mike's tuber chassis again.
Anybody got an idea 'bout flight prices from Japan to Australia?

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Sorry ED but the event has been and gone. Im not sure why it was said to be August as it was held on the 13th of July. If you ever need a place to stay you should look me up. I put up everyone at my place for the event and we had a ball. I even took the guys down to the famous St Ives 89 worlds race track for an afternoons running.
By the way,I received a parcel from you with some alloy parts for the Kyosho Scorpion. Did you make a mistake with who was meant to get them??
The next event looks like being held in Melbourne and there's talk of turning a 2 hr vintage enduro in to possibly 3 or 4 hrs. This will be even better!
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Damn - yeah - the title date wasn't exactly helpful! :oops:

Will change it.

Allot of the Schumacher's were Jason's, however I think Ant, David and a few others threw in the mix as well. Next time I will have a few to hopefully - though no 2wd's......only 2wd they made that I liked and raced was the 2000 with the double deck graphite etc etc.

STUMPY - You could have run the new li-po's in at this meeting - as allot of guys were using them.........besides - how often do you get to race vintage???? dear oh dear :roll: :oops: :wink: Jak rizzo is indeed the "pozer" with the sweet Brat.

ASSO - it was in that heat that I realised that the front drive was slipping - you should have seen it when I tightened it up and had more like 80% more drive to the front - absolute freaking weapon. This legend would be a KILLER stock class racer. Thats what I will use it for from now on in vintage - has 2wd turn in and speed with the pulling power of 4wd out of the turns.....truly a revelation. Was an expensive weekend as far as parts went - but I wanted to give it a true test and it honestly passed with flying colors. I will be trying to find new out-drives etc so that I can run modern wheels and replace the parts more cheaply if they do break....but mate - what a car! I will post some footage of it up running a stock motor as ST Ives - even though it was running old school plastic hard tires - it still was a quite tractable car to drive. If you ever have the chance to drive or own one - run it - you wont be dissapointed if you spend some time on set up.

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Re: OFF ROAD VINTAGE MEETING - AUSTRALIA 13th JULY 2008....

Post by Asso_man! »

I do own one, but if you would look at it you wouldn't let me run it, as hardcore as you may be :D I would surely enjoy every second running one of these, must be very special, especially with the 30° front kick-up, not usual on a 4wd car :wink:

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Asso - don't worry mate - I have another (that is not built yet) from all NIP parts....I W O N T be driving that one!! It is funny you know - I have been running a few of my really rare cars at these meetings - but only because I have another new one at home - I am very fortunate. If I only had one new built legend - I would not have run it. Again - this is not boasting - just that I feel truly priveledged to have run one of these in anger and being fortunate enough to own two and a bit of them. Some things deserve to be preserved - and as this car had been run previously - I figured that it N E E D E D to try and catch glory again - sadly reliability meant I finished in third, but there is always next time!!

Hope to get that footage up from St Ives soon - also have some of the MID running in stock at the race meeting.

Cheers

Darryn
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Keyz
Approved Member

Post by Keyz »

Looks fantastic guys,
I vow to one day make the trip to race my JRX-Pro at St Ives. That track still looks amazing! Is it still the same layout? Looks very close (just finished dubbing my poor copy of the '89 event to DVD. Loving it!)

Will keep an eye out for next years event, maybe make a trip across the tassie...

Keep it up guys!

Jim

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

"Again - this is not boasting - just that I feel truly priveledged to have run one of these in anger and being fortunate enough to own two and a bit of them. Some things deserve to be preserved - and as this car had been run previously - I figured that it N E E D E D to try and catch glory again - sadly reliability meant I finished in third, but there is always next time!!"

That's awesome. I know it's not a popular sentiment, but I really love to see the old cars built and RUN :shock:

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hi Guys,

Here is a little more video from the cars. The first video is of my Legend RC10 (MIP converted 4wd), this is not at the track that we had the race meeting - its at the World Titles track for 1989 - St Ives In Sydney. The car is running old school tires and an old school stock motor - this is its very first drive on the track - and I was getting used to using "sticks" again - so forgive the unusual "lines" at times. The Legend jumps beautifully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5OhMEMtseo

This second video is of my SWB Optima Mid (the purple car with yellow wheels). This one was during one of the qualifying heats for the meeting. Running a stock motor and modern tires (although the rear ones were rubbish - very little grip - put the wrong ones on!) - the car was still very nice to drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5oxtXH1HRc&feature=user

Hope you enjoy - comments of course are welcome.

Cheers

Darryn

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

darryn, is the st. ives track affiliated with a hobby shop of some sort? it's surprising to me that it'd still be there after all these years if it wasn't.

just wondering. :)

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

No - no shop afilliation. St Ives is one of the oldest clubs in Australia. St Ives and the Ryde Club have been going for over 25 years! They have along, rich history.

The St Ives club has had a very strong set of core members from the early days - much like the Ryde club. We are indeed fortunate to have this situation.

The St Ives track is still my most favourite track - it was truly a blast to run the cars on it. NOTHING has changed for the layout. A couple of jumps have been added - and they don't run the hairpin around the tree anymore at the end of the straight (where I was turning in) - but other than that - it is as it was run at the 1989 worlds...truly awesome.

Cheers

Darryn

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

that's cool. with the way tracks have come and gone since i started racing in '91 around here, it's suprising to me to see that one still around. and with pretty much the same layout.