Hondaman's Yokomo Build #1 - 870C

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Re: Hondaman's Yokomo Build #1 - 870C

Post by aip47-2008 »

My instruction manuals only show them up to the 1993 "Works". 1994 YZ10 does not show them.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

aip47-2008 wrote:My instruction manuals only show them up to the 1993 "Works". 1994 YZ10 does not show them.
Mmm... my car falls in-between both those models - has plastic front bulkhead but magnesium rear parts - it would make sense to have the gaskets wherever you get the magnesium meeting the chassis? I wonder if anyone out there has a manual for the 93 model WCS to confirm?

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

DerbyDan wrote:Hey, another Honda guy! :D - Welcome to the board

This 870C looks like a nice project & once finished will be a very desirable car. I'm another fan of the apache body too :D

On the subject of the bulkhead gaskets, I was wondering if all YZ-10 models had them or was it just an 870C/Works models thing? Should my 93WCS have had them?
Thanks DerbyDan...I have seen some of your builds and they are amazing..

Yup.. I'm a Honda guy.. Have an 86 Civic Si (my first car) and a 02 S2000.. Worked on so many others over the years.. I even learned to ride a motorcycle on a Honda..

The apache body grew on me after I got the car.. the pics I saw of the car were uninspiring but looks better in person.. Just wish it had the matching wing.. came with a molded plastic one so I won't complain too much.. :lol: Wish I could help you on the bulkhead thing but I only have the Works93 manual for my other other yoke.. :D

Shawn

Jirka
Approved Member

Post by Jirka »

We here used those "gaskets" only between magnesium bulkheads/motor mount and chassis. Aluminum bulkheads didn't need them no more since they were much stonger than surprisingly fragile magnesium parts. I do not know did they give any real help with magnesium parts and I think that the reason for those gaskets were only because Yokomo metal bulkheads and motor mounts were molded not machined with uneven surface those days.

Jirka

Dual
Approved Member

Post by Dual »

it would make sense to have the gaskets wherever you get the magnesium meeting the chassis?
Hey DerbyDan,

As you mentioned, it does make sense to have the rubber gaskets installed wherever there are magnesium/aluminium bulkheads and motor mounts meeting the chassis. The WCS manual supplement makes no mention nor does it show these gaskets used on the WCS. My WCS kit did not come with a rubber gasket set either.

I know that the rubber gaskets did slightly help prevent sand/debris fouling the hinge-pin area of the standard bulkheads used from the 870C through to the Works '93 (this part of the bulkhead is machined off for the WCS). Also, the bottom part of the rear bulkhead on the WCS is precisely machined down so there is probably no need for a gasket. This could be one reason why they are not used on the WCS. I am only guessing here.

As Jirka alluded to, most racers I knew did not bother with the rubber gaskets at all and did not report any negative affects from doing so.

Thoughts?

Vin

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Thanks Vin for your reply... I'm happy that it seems pretty certain that my car has never had the gaskets fitted & neither would it have done given that they were not included in the kit or shown/mentioned in the official instructions :)

@ Hondaman thank you for your compliment... I've only ever owned two Hondas & both were/are DC2 Integra TypeRs & both in CWhite also! My first one was a 98' where as my current one is a late 2000 model. I've driven lots of Hondas in my time & always liked the way they drive.... even the base model cars handle sweetly & have good engines! One of my friends had a MK1 CRX - that was alot of fun!!

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

S2K...awesome car...is yours tail end happy?

I'm looking for one now after test driving my friends...the sound of that VTEC kicking in did it for me..
hondaman wrote:
DerbyDan wrote:Hey, another Honda guy! :D - Welcome to the board

This 870C looks like a nice project & once finished will be a very desirable car. I'm another fan of the apache body too :D

On the subject of the bulkhead gaskets, I was wondering if all YZ-10 models had them or was it just an 870C/Works models thing? Should my 93WCS have had them?
Thanks DerbyDan...I have seen some of your builds and they are amazing..

Yup.. I'm a Honda guy.. Have an 86 Civic Si (my first car) and a 02 S2000.. Worked on so many others over the years.. I even learned to ride a motorcycle on a Honda..

The apache body grew on me after I got the car.. the pics I saw of the car were uninspiring but looks better in person.. Just wish it had the matching wing.. came with a molded plastic one so I won't complain too much.. :lol: Wish I could help you on the bulkhead thing but I only have the Works93 manual for my other other yoke.. :D

Shawn

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

@DerbyDan: I always loved the Type R Integras especially in Champ White.. I was going to drop a B18C5 in my 86 but I don't like how it sits too low in my chassis as my car is low.. Decided I will pop in a B16B instead when I get around to it.. Not much time right now so little cars will keep me occupied for a little while.. :lol: I still am looking for an 85 MK1 Crx Si though.. One day I will track one down along with a 93WCS.. :twisted:

@naushad: yup my ap1 is tail happy in the wet.. lucky for me I'm older so i have some self control and here in Los Angeles we don't get tons of rain.. in the dry with my 255 rear tires keep me planted just fine thanlfully.. :oops: in the wet though even they break loose if I am push it.. believe me I found out one rainy night on a deserted street.. :shock: great car though.. I have a greddy single exhaust and a comptech intake and the sound of the engaging vtech is just amazing sounding all the way to 9k.. doing that top down at night on a nice night is bliss.. 8) makes a sucky day go away.. and then coming home to mess with my yoke now is relaxing.. wait that sounds kinda ummmmm yea.. :oops:

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Back to my 870c.. I cleaned almost all the parts.. took pics of the pile but need to upload later.. going to work on rebuilding the diffs.. they are smooth as is so I think the balls are in good shape but I will see when I pull it apart.. wd40 and little brushes here I come.. I will post pics for sure tonight to show my progress.. getting excited to build.. come on sun brighten those whites for me!!! 8)

Shawn

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Well here are the pics of the parts all organized and ready for rebuild.. There is a mix of parts for this one and the runner one in here so i am going to take the best parts from them and put it to the 870C build and the rest go to the runner.. 8)

Parts:

Peroxide parts in jars:

Screws in wd40 slurry:

Some NIP parts:

Wheels:

From the YZ-10.. The rear tires are shot.. Whole side is cracked open..

New pink wheels with Tamiya Avante tires

NIP Trinity wheels in yellow..

I also have 2 pairs of new Dominator rear wheels in orange in the mess, a set of the 2.1 front wheels in white and a pair of new 2.0 pink front wheels..

Here are the shells and 870C chassis:

Here is the broken bulkhead:

It broke at the shock tower mount tabs.. Good thing I found another one.. :roll:

So now as it sits I still need to clean and rebuild the diffs and wait for the peroxide bath to finish.. One or two days more and I will pull the parts and pick out the best parts for this build.. Just need to put some more screws in the wd40 to get some cleaned and then it's building time.. Looking forward to this.. Going to be fun!! I will update some more when I can.. :wink:

Shawn

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Looking good Shawn.... its very tantilising when it gets to this stage!

Are you going to clean up the bulkheads? I had the ones on my car bead blasted which brought them up like new :D - I didn't coat them to protect the finish so they've 'dulled' down again but they are alot cleaner & even in colour to when I first dissmantled the car :) Worth doing if have the access to someone who can do it :wink:

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Thanks DerbyDan! I cleaned up the grime from the bulkheads but not up to where I would ultimately like but for now it will be okay..

I got this 870C into a roller but there are some things I found out I would like to change as I find them.. The rear links have a blue tinge to them as I suspect they was an attempt to dye the parts.. I will look for those.. Also I am going to keep an eye out for some correct tires for this.. I like the Tamiya tires but I want a true factory set (tr-8 and tf-8) for this one.. I would like some factory wing mounts as well but for now I will make a set of my own as soon as I get a correct rear wing for the 870C body I have.. Also going to look for some replacement shock towers as these are a bit scratched up..

So I have put on the new battery mount posts, new steering linkage, rebuilt the diffs, put on a new set of RC10 shock collars for now (need to find the correct ones), new 2.0" wheels, new 2mm hardware for the bulkhead caps and motor mount cap, used a barely used 870C chassis and lower arms (battery holes aren't even filed), and waiting on a wing to paint this up.. All in all I think for my first Yokomo I call it a success.. I learned a lot about this car as I built it.. Fun to build though..

So here are the pics..

Chassis

A bit of camber.. I think this looks cool.. 8)

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

More pics:

You can see the rear links tinged in blue/purple:

With the Apache shell on:

I like this one.. Camber looks mean.. Nice rear end!!

So that is it for now.. I am waiting for the wing and then I will paint it up.. Something simple and clean.. Heck of a lot of fun to build!!

Shawn

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

Well done hondaman! Excellent rebuild...that shell is looking killer - low profile and sleek looking!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Does that sticker say "Fart" on the back? :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3