My Jay Halsey '85 Worlds Replica

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Re: My Jay Halsey '85 Worlds Replica

Post by slotcarrod »

Oh this is going to be good!

Nice work so far Ruffy!

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Thank-you to everyone that has commented and helped me so far. Thanks for the great comments! :D

I took a little time tonight and trimmed the body for this replica build and mounted the wing using standard AE wing buttons until I can locate something better or have ones made like the ones Jay used.
Here is the car, still untrimmed chassis and noseplate. I still have to also dye the front tower black, mount all of the Novak hardware and futaba servo as well. JHarris has a Magnum Senior also that he is going to lend me for the final pictures, representative of the radio Jay used back then.
Huge thank-you goes out to M_vice for the front bumper!!
RufJH_001.JPG
RufJH_002.JPG
RufJH_003.JPG

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Took some time this evening after dinner and taped up and painted a Jay Halsey replica body. Here are some pics just after it has finished drying but just before removing the cockpit window masking tape I used.
I think I have all the stickers except for the infamous bumper one. JHarris had given me a blue one but scr8p showed me the old lettering style one he used on his bumper and the one I have is of a more current style for JG Mfg. If anyone happens to have an old navy or royal blue JG Mfg. sticker like the one on scr8p's Halsey replica bumper, please contact me via PM.

The next project that I am gathering items for is the Original RC10 build. I'm still missing one Novak Servo for it on the electronics side.
Jay-Halsey-Body-Paint1.jpg
Jay-Halsey-Body-Paint2.jpg

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Looking good Ruffy... :D

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Thank-you again for the JG Bumper m_vice!
Going through my stickers I found a scan that scr8p had made for me of his bumper sticker (I had forgotten about this) so it looks like I will be able to make myself a JG bumper sticker afterall. Thank-you scr8p!
Two-more images after I let the paint dry completely overnight and pulled the last of the window masking off.
Jay-Halsey-Body-Paint3.jpg
Jay-Halsey-Body-Paint4.jpg

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

lookin' good ruffy!

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Cat woke me up early today to play (5:15 am on a Sunday!), so after some quality time with him, I sat down and began to apply the stickers to the replica body. I got to admit the stickers really make the paint job jump out at you. I'm happy I painted the body myself now!

First off, here is the culprit of many an early wake-up call...my 2nd son Tigger, spelled T I Double "GA" "ER"! He's a lot alike the Tigger from Winnie The Pooh and has barrels of energy and spring in his legs!
Tigger.jpg
I tried to copy the way Jay did his window net back then, and I'm pleased it turned out pretty close to his. The layout of the stickers was nerve wracking for me this morning, might have been the lack of sleep or that I had not drunk my coffee yet.
Notice also that the "Reedy Modifieds" on the body sides are of different sizes. This was done on purpose to copy what Jay had on his cars at the '85 IFMAR Worlds.
Jay-Halsey-Body-Paint5.jpg
Jay-Halsey-Body-Paint6.jpg
I am still missing the U.S. Flag just under the JG sticker on the hood, but thankfully scr8p is sending me one out after I discovered today that all of the ones I have left-over from the '93 IFMAR Worlds point the opposite direction.

Here she is mounted on top of the chassis, that has yet to be cut. Still a lot of work left to finish this build.
Jay-Halsey_Replica_1.jpg
Notice the window net detail.
Jay-Halsey-Replica_2.jpg
"Reedy Modifieds" different side sticker detail
Jay-Halsey-Replica_3.jpg
I still have to dye the front tower black, cut the nose plate, cut the chassis, and then mount the electronics.
Stay tuned for more as it's going to be a long summer!

Huge thanks to everyone that has helped me on this build thus far: m_vice, mikedealer , scr8p, JHarris, mrlexan and prp!

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

One more photo that I had left on the camera card; I missed initially from this morning. :oops:

I found it interesting that in all of the years I knew Jay and raced with him that I never noticed that his sticker layout wasn't "uniform" from left to right side. What with the position of the "TEAM ASSOCIATED" decals and the different size "REEDY MODIFIEDS" on each side are small examples that make you realize the awesome free-spirited, California kid, kind of guy that Jay is; as Gene mentions in the videos where he noticed that Jay ran his shocks upside down initially.
Jay-Halsey-Replica_4.jpg
I had a great time placing the stickers on this build and was very happy that he had one large "REEDY MODIFIEDS" sticker on the left side only as I only had one of these left available (having used them on my own bodies over the years). The color scheme is awesome, and very bright and bold; but it really pops-out at you once the stickers go on !

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Looks good man, I know it is a hard decision to make but I think you need to cut down that nose…

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Yeah, you know me Miguel; I'm fighting having to do it, but I know I will have to here soon. :roll:

That bumper you sent me looks real good on this car too Miguel, thank-you very much for it. :D

metallicats33
Approved Member

Post by metallicats33 »

Great job Ruffy, It's amazing how quick you put together these replicas :shock:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Wow! That looks great with the shell on :) That shell design really works well once the stickers are added...

Not sure what paint scheme to do on my 6010 gold pan now - box art or J.Halsey repro :? One things for sure it wont be anywhere near as good a representation as any of your cars.

Do you have somewhere suitable to display your builds? They would all look neat in an illuminated glass case together - resting on a clay/dirt base 8)

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Thank-you all for the great comments.
:D :D
You all "pumped me up" into doing these builds. I initially came onto these forums just to see if I could sell some of the stuff I had been storing and nearly tossed out with the trash a few times, only to get bitten by the replica bug bigtime after viewing scr8p's Halsey replica build, as well as seeing all the beautiful builds and replicas posted throughout this very informative forum.
I just have to keep the wife happy as all of this stuff was out of sight -out of mind before I pulled open all of the stored boxes and unpacked stuff. Now its' everywhere in the hobbyrooms.
:D
metallicats33: it may feel fast but I just never got rid of a bunch of my very very old stuff since it was all in like brand new condition. I just kept it and any extras I bought back then and can now use them for builds. This helped immensely because I did not have to hunt on ebay for most of the stuff I am using for my builds. I was just happy I found it still in great condition after so many years sitting in Associated Boxes that were inside large and dark U-Haul moving boxes that were taped shut.
I don't have a suitable place yet DerbyDan to showcase these, but my wife and I are looking for something nice to buy or have made for our "Hobby room/2nd Guest room" for these cars. Stay tuned for more on this once we find something we like.
m_vice: I finally took the car apart and can now have the chassis, noseplate and front tower altered since the hard part is done which was the body paint and stickers! Once finished with them, I can then mount all of the electronics I have for this car which is the Novak 1 ESC, NER-2S Novak Receiver, and Futaba S32H servo. I have an Associated stock motor in it now, but I wish we could know what motor he used? Anyone know this?
:D :D

rcguy5
Approved Member

Post by rcguy5 »

I am fairly new to building any replicas but I do plan to build a Halsey replica. I will do the one in the old magazines which is a side shot and has a number 4 instead of 6 and the black front wheels. How will you dye the front tower as I have no idea of how it's done?

Thanks,

Mike

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Just use rit dye, like dyeing rims and nylon parts. Same method, just follow instructions on rit dye package.

The reason we did the #6 version is, because that is the car version that won the 1st ever IFMAR Worlds in 2WD. The #4 is just another car that they used for the ad and put the trophy in it to appear as the Worlds Championship car he actually used, as if it was the original car Jay ran with. But the photo evidence clearly shows that he was #6 at the '85 Worlds and that he used chrome wheels, even though he might have used both black and chrome due to the heat races. The Chrome wheels are the ones that he actually ran in the last heat as far as we know since the photos were taken right there after the win.
The picture where he is on the stand with the trophy below, appear to have black front wheels, but notice the shine, and someone nailed it when they said it was the reflection off the trophy base making them look "black", but that they were chrome.
Personally I like the black ones better ( I have both sets of wheels, and I'm not a big fan of aluminum or chrome wheels ), but I had to build it the way he won it.
Hope this helps.

What I should do is paint another body up, with the 4 scheme, change the wheels to my black set, and change the wing for a replica of the Trophy Ad Car below!