The BMX (and other bikes) thread

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

badhoopty
Approved Member

Re: The BMX (and other bikes) thread

Post by badhoopty »

every once in awhile i'll either look into getting the rest of the stuff to complete my sport or restore my pk, but man... the prices just floor me.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

and besides i got this darn sammy burning a hole in my wallet... :wink:

Acemechanic
Approved Member

Post by Acemechanic »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
uzzi wrote:Thought vintage rc was bad? there is a set of Hutch Aerospeed crank set going for $1500 on Ebay.....crazy coin :shock: !
That's about half what they've been selling for since I got back in to vintage bmx about 5 years ago. Wait till that auction ends.

Why anybody would spend 2 or 3 thousand dollars on some of the worst cranks ever made is beyond me. There's usually a good reason why some parts are rare, it's because they sucked to begin with and the company discontinued them. :lol:

Hutch prices are starting to drop because someone bought the name and is making new Hutch stuff. He introduced bear traps again and vintage real Hutch beartraps are going for about half what they went for a year ago. In the bigger BMX picture, Hutch, Redline and Haro are relative steals. Try to buy anything made by VDC, or something like a JMC Andy Paterson, it's a whole other ball game. I paid as much for the JMC handlebars on the bike above as I did for a nearly mint all original, complete 1988 Haro Master in 2005 if that gives you any idea.
Hmmm I never heard of VDC or JMC bikes. Are they BMX racing bikes? I was mostly into BMX Freestyle bikes. I never really got into racing. I lived in the city and it was a lot of fun crusing around pulling off tricks all over the place. I especially liked riding the half pipe. I remember the first time I rode the pipe and went right off the side. I looked like Charlie Brown kicking a football. Landed flat on my back.

Gordon.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yeah, both VDC and JMC were racing companies. VDC did make one freestyle bike though, but it wasn't that great. JMC went out of business in 85. Both companies made bikes in low numbers compared to the bigger brands. The JMC 24 that I have, they made those between 82 and 85 and only 450 were made in those four years. Pretty rare compared to the numbers pumped out by GT, Haro and even Hutch.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Hmmm I never heard of VDC or JMC bikes. Are they BMX racing bikes? I was mostly into BMX Freestyle bikes. I never really got into racing. I lived in the city and it was a lot of fun crusing around pulling off tricks all over the place. I especially liked riding the half pipe. I remember the first time I rode the pipe and went right off the side. I looked like Charlie Brown kicking a football. Landed flat on my back.

Gordon.
Some kids about 1/4 mile down the road from my house built a half pipe. If I do talk myself into getting a bike I'll have to cruise down there. Their parents will probably think I'm a pedofile or something. I just wanna use that pipe! I'm sure it will end in injury... :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

One of these days I'll figure out how to properly quote just part of a post. I'm an idiot. :roll:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

fixed it for ya.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

badhoopty wrote:fixed it for ya.
Thanks
For some reason last night I remembered my Mongoose Mini-scoot. My dad gave that away with the Cyclepro. :roll: Anyone else have one or remember them. 86-87 maybe?
Ken

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
badhoopty wrote:fixed it for ya.
Thanks
For some reason last night I remembered my Mongoose Mini-scoot. My dad gave that away with the Cyclepro. :roll: Anyone else have one or remember them. 86-87 maybe?
I've got a GT zoot Scoot, but it is packed away in the shed behind the patio set. I'll post a pic once spring is really here.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I'd like to see it. I think I remember the GT. I had no pics of mine, but found that in Yahoo images. It came from BMXmuseum I believe. I can barely find a mention of the Cyclepro Jammer in any search I try. Anyone have any ideas?
Ken

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

Cyclepro Jammer?? think theres 1 pic on google image.this post caught my eye cause i think my dads old mountainbike is a cyclepro..cool bike cant find any pics..

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Picked up a used bmx bike for my daughter. This is a Redline Flight Micro-mini. It is tiny! The wheels are 18".
The bike is basically stock except for a few parts. It came upgraded with an answer Carbon handlebar, which has about 2" more rise than the stock aluminum bars. The only parts I have added to it are plastic bodied pedals, (because they are half the weight, but more importantly easier on the skin when riding with bare legs) and an aftermarket integrated seat/post. The original post was cut rather short and she prefers to sit when pedaling instead of standing all the time.

Just for perspective I took a shot in front of my mountain bike which is a medium frame.

The redline weighs in at a mere 12.1pounds.
redline1.jpg
redline 005.jpg

ra272
Approved Member

Post by ra272 »

ra272 wrote:Hi, look what I've found at a local garage sale:

1985 GHP pro 2 frame, SE Landing Gear fork, Redline stem, Boss bars, Hutch seat clamp, Shimano DX pedals, GT hubs and Araya rims...got it for 30$. :lol:

I gave it to a good friend who is very interested in vintage BMX for his birthday. He was very happy :mrgreen: .
The GHP has been restored by my friend, I think it was a good idea to give it to him:

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

I figure I'll add my 2 cents worth,

Anyone remember the Kawasaki BX200?

I've still got (most) of mine.

I've owned it since it was brand new. Yeah, I'm old school...Unfortunately when your young and stupid, you have a habit of abusing things..

I was grounded for jumping 3 neighbor kids with it...it's been ridden (& flipped) into a river....painted (yecchh!) Kawaski green & later re-stripped...you name it.

For some reason I've kept it all these years.

If I can ever find parts for it, maybe It'll ride again...
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Wow, great pick up on that GHP! That was 30 bucks very well spent. Good on you for turning it over to your bud for a b-day gift too!

Kawasakis were a bit before my time. Those had suspension right? I've seen a few pics of them. You should be able to restore it, there's a surprising amount of information out on the internet about the most obscure bike stuff, trust me I've had to seek out some crazy stuff. :lol: Got any pics of the old bike? It's awesome that you still have it after all these years.